FF loses web content display post CU

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Hey,

I run Windows 10 x64 and FF 52.0.2. Post the Creator's Update, the browser now occasionally loses all web content. The web frame remains (title bar) but inside, which normally shows the web page and content, shows only the desktop background I have chosen, a completely empty web frame. Using the short cuts on the Title Bar I am able to change the pages, and sites, as I can see the location indicator display, on the bottom left of the frame, show the new address, but the page itself is missing. Installing the latest video driver has not solved the problem.This started since the CU and twice this am on different sites.
Reopening the browser returns the proper display.
Has anyone encountered this ?

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
While I did upgrade my rig yesterday to CU and I run FF all the time, I did not notice it personally, but I did not really do much with it yesterday.
I will be later today.

Just wondering if a repair or reinstall of FF might work?

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Thank you for the feedback. I have not had the problem again since I posted earlier this am.
So now I gotta wonder, was it FF or was it me? Damn !
Maybe I should look at my GoPro videos more closely from now on so I can sort out this kind of thing?

Last edited:

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
The web content just disappeared again. The toolbars are there, FF changes pages ok, the frame remains but all content has disappeared until I reopen FF.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Appears to lose the web page content only when scrolling up on this site but the pages are lost for any subsequent web function. Well not entirely. On the forums the orange banner across the top of the page remains but my login info on the banner is missing.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Its in the OP.
Weird . Unreproduceable and infrequent. Maybe its gone now? Like a bad dream.Only thing I thought of was the effect of Adblock. Could it be stealing all content ?
It has not reoccurred this aft. But if it does I will disengage blocking.
Thx

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Thanks. I was a couple versions behind due to add-on removal. I will update the one on my VM and see if I can duplicate.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
I had not see it either since I updated. May have been just an odd bug for some reason

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I had not see it either since I updated. May have been just an odd bug for some reason

Seems so, because I cannot reproduce it and have not seen it in the last day or so.
Thing was, the blackout started on this site when scrolling up on a page.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
It has happened several times since my last post, always starting when I scroll on this site o_O
but not according to a pattern I can discern. I find no one else with the problem and am waiting for a new version of adblock.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Well I found the culprit. I noticed there is a dmp file located in the folder at c:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG .The file arises as a result of a windows graphics related operation when the video driver was unable to reset within the allotted time (usually 30000ms = 30 seconds).When the video driver ultimately does recover the system records a "Live Kernel Event". A 0x117 Live Kernel Event generates a WATCHDOG memory dump file.

There is an online dmp file analysis available at
OSR Open Systems Resources, Inc.

The analysis says:

VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED (141)
One of the the display engines failed to respond in timely fashion.
(This code can never be used for real bugcheck).

and

STACK_COMMAND: .bugcheck ; kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
nvlddmkm+15e0a4
fffff80f`2c02e0a4 ?? ???

SYMBOL_NAME: nvlddmkm+15e0a4

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: nvlddmkm

IMAGE_NAME: nvlddmkm.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 58df01bf

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x141_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys

BUCKET_ID: X64_0x141_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys

Followup: MachineOwner
---------------------------------------------------------------------
That .sys file is my Nvidia driver. I already installed the latest driver so I need to do more research.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I wonder who's at fault for the error?

The support areas for NVIDIA and Firefox have dealt with a "black desktop" for a while. Typically the GTX driver throws up the error displayed in the dump file and the desktop freezes .
On this machine, only FF graphics are affected. Ergo,a solution or workaround may be more with the fox .

One canned suggestion from the fox is to avoid hardware acceleration. So now it's off but even if no-HA works, it's no solution.

Last edited:

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Well, hardware acceleration is not involved. The FF window's html content just disappears regardless. Today was downright frightening. Per usual, a page on this site just disappeared so I go, well, I can always just restart until NVIDIA or FF sort this out. But restarting gave the same graphic loss ! My FF was gone completely. Yikes !
And I have no browser reserve, like IE 11 or crazy Edge, all lit up with short cuts and cookies. That's a lesson right there. I restarted FF several times with the same result. What happens is the white part of a web page starts down the screen but 1/3 sec later the screen turns black , and logging on to other sites gives the same result: page begins to appear and disappears milliseconds later.
I definitely need a back up Browser. So I fire up IE and look around, and think about importing bookmarks. So I start up FF and it works . I'm startled. Is this real ? Make up your mind !

So, perhaps there is a driver conflict between the FF and IE. The effects could be the same. That's an attractive theory. But no one else here has this problem apparently so it must involve something else.
But I have IE all ready to go should a total FF blackout come back.

It's time for religion boys, this shit's getting worse.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Gentle people we have a solution. I finally investigated the fact that the loss of the web pages began in each instance as I scrolled up a page. Scrolled up....
Ok consider the mouse. Its a Logitech with driver features for selecting buttons and scrolling. The driver I was using has been updated and running the newer driver has apparently, knock on vinyl, fixed the problem. So I surmise there was a conflict between FF and the mouse driver commencing with the recent CU.
Loose thread-why was it that this site was the only site where the problem began? Sure, after it began, no pages were viewable, but the loss only ever began on this site, viewing the forums from time to time.

Last edited:

Skyzoomer

Sep 27, 2007
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Suggest restoring your last backup that was done prior to upgrading to CU. If it works, then wait until you feel the CU bugs have been corrected before upgrading to CU again. If it doesn't work, then it would appear that something has happened to your hardware.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Suggest restoring your last backup that was done prior to upgrading to CU. If it works, then wait until you feel the CU bugs have been corrected before upgrading to CU again. If it doesn't work, then it would appear that something has happened to your hardware.

Yes, I have such a backup.
There is just not enough information on line to come up with the cause.
I have found one other machine with exactly this problem. One,uno,1.
My solutions, as fruitless as they have been, have ended only in despair et alia.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
This is how a web page (ATOT) looks when the graphics go on strike

Untitled.jpg