Fermi is out. Thumbs up or down you decide with poll!

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Are you Happy with Fermi?

• Oh yeah! Gonna grab one or possibly more asap!

• Pretty happy but expecting more. Might buy one.

• Not at all. Looking for an 5XXX card

• Not at all sticking with the last gen card (48XX,2XX series card)

Results are only viewable after voting.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
What about the focus group stealth marketing BS? Sure they are ''open about it'' these days but it really was not like that just a few years ago. Anyways you guys know what I think about the focus group....

Meh the focus goup guys or any fanbois from any camp never really get to me. Just Nvidia itself is what I got frustrated over.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
@RamonZarat

As far as I'm aware nvidia hasn't done anything as morally questionable as what Citibank did in the Enron affair or Union Carbide's behaviour over Bhopal, so can't we keep a sense of proportion? So they are a bit pushy in their tactics in the video card market, it's hardly selling chemical weapons to Saddam, is it?

And I think its too early to say the 480 is a complete failure. It's not a very good card in itself, true, but given the constraints I think perhaps nVidia's engineers did a good job of getting it to work at all. They succeeded in removing just enough so it won't burn a hole through the bottom of your case and go on to contaminate the water-table on its way to China, while still keeping it just ahead of the 5870, so from their point of view its "job done". Pity about the price tag, but I bet that's the minimum they can get away with also.

And surely it can't be judged entirely on its own merits, there's the question of where it leads, what comes next? Vista wasn't exactly a great success (though software is more post-release fixable than hardware) but it did seem to get certain fundamental changes out of the way, leaving room for the problems to be cleaned up later. Time will tell whether the 480 is a Vista or an Edsel. Obviously I wouldn't actually buy one myself (I can't even afford a 5870), but at least they got this one out the door and out of the way.

I feel a bit sorry for them. Designing GPUs appears to be quite difficult - who'd have thought it?

that's not the "minimum they can get away with", it's the "most they can charge". Nvidia has one of the best marketing depts in the world, and even without that they have a much better gpu production history than daamit. They also have a very loyal owner that is likely to give them the benefit of the doubt, many of whom have waited patiently for 6 mos + and will convince themselves that fermi is "good enough". Unless amd decides that they want to just go plain hog wild I think that we're in for some unpalatable high prices for a while. :thumbsdown:

Aug 28, 2008
I was waiting but no more. If a company (NV) tells me they are going to release a product and on the date of the release they tell me I can only get it on some random date in the future then I have to laugh...after being late...come on!! I thought I would wait and give NV a chance but after reading the reviews I was not that impressed. As far as I am concerned NV does not have a GTX480\470. AMD has had thier product out for 6 months and with Catalyst 10.3 they have the bugs worked out plus AMD now has custom boards with custom coolers. It is going to take NV a while to get Fermi up to speed. I really wanted to give NV a chance. I have owned TNT, TNT2, GeForce 256, GeForce 2, GeForce 4, GeForce 6800, GeForce 7600, 8800GTS but my last card was a Gigabyte 4870 1GB Zalman cooler which is a great card.

I just bought a SAPPHIRE 100282-3SR Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB for $279 free shipping. I was going to buy the Toxic 5850 2GB from superbiiz but don't have a 8pin video card power connector on my power supply only 2*6pin. Anyways I could not pass up the NewEgg deal for $279 (the card is $299 now).

Last edited:

Jhatfie

Jan 20, 2004
I have been reading lots of reviews for Fermi and honestly, at least for the GTX 480, I think that it's performance is rather impressive in a majority of games. I did not think I would be impressed, and while not blown away, there is a lot to like here.

But that being said, based on it's enormous power needs, high price, excessive heat and being 6 months late to the party...that is about all Nvidia is going to get from me, a pat on the back as my money is going to ATI this round. The 470 is only a marginal increase over the 5850 and not worth it for the extra $$ IMO. The 480 is interesting, but not enough to spend the extra money on it.

Poor Nvidia, if ATI senses they are losing market share and start building up supply of 5800 series cards, I have no doubt they can knock off $50-75 easily making it totally impossible for Fermi to come close to competing on a price/performance scale.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
The 470 is only a marginal increase over the 5850 and not worth it for the extra $$ IMO. The 480 is interesting, but not enough to spend the extra money on it.

www.ewiz.com

You can now get a 5870 for $380 with Dirt 2, w/ $20 off w/ code APRILFOOLS20, ends 4/1. That's a pretty decent deal compared to $120 extra you'd need to pay for GTX480.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
biggest flop ever, months behind AMD with no better price or performance. huge waste of time, ill stick with my 4890 till the 6000 series is out.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
These look pretty impressive, but it's not like PC gaming is booming at the moment, we're getting a lot of console ports that look and run fine on current hardware. I'll wait til the $200-$250 GTX460 or whatever hits, then I might look at upgrading, but $400+ for a video card upgrade right now is not in my gaming budget at all.

Rezident

Nov 30, 2009
Thumbs down. Poor Mr Fermi, what did he do to deserve this?

Performance is very good but the price in terms of heat, power, efficiency (and money!) is just too high. 5870 has a better balance for me this round.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
I was a tad worried because I bought my 5870 before Fermi's launch but my mind rests easy now knowing I made the right purchase. Not saying Fermi is bad. It will definitely shine as Nvidia refines the architecture. If they want me to buy the next evolution of Fermi, they better work on cutting down that heat and power otherwise I'm staying away.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I hope lots of people buy them....dying to see what happens with non-cherry picked versions.:twisted: