Ferguson fuels 'kill switch' debate

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
http://thehill.com/policy/technology/215301-ferguson-fuels-kill-switch-debate

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...protests-smartphone-california-bill-missouri/

During the protests, the police there have reportedly tried to get journalists and protesters to turn off their video cameras on their phones. Now some people are worried that if all smart phones have kill switches, law enforcement might hack in to them during a protest.

we are treading towards a dangerous path here. a violation of 1st amendment rights will lead to a violation of the 65th amendment rights. california already passed the kill switch law, i expect other states to follow soon. everyone keep a spare mini-camcorder, cb radio, walkie talkies, etc in case.

/psa

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
No kill switch equals the loss of being able to wipe your phone in the event it's stolen.

L_J, has your account been hijacked? normally you are not this obtuse.
a mandatory kill switch is not required. you can install an app for it if you desire.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Then we start using those cute little camcorders.

Whatever it takes to get justice in the world.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
No kill switch equals the loss of being able to wipe your phone in the event it's stolen.

You're confusing one kill switch with another. The one that the OP is talking about has been proposed so that police can turn on a signal and any phone in the area of that signal (or within GPS range of the police that has activated the signal) will force the phone to stop taking photos or video. This is to keep people from recording the cops.

The kill switch you're talking about is one to wipe and lock the phone in the event it's stolen, lost, etc.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
i dont understand how anyone could confuse these two "kill switches."

why would be worried if it WASN'T the one that cops can use to stop video from being taken......geez louise....

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Despite the propaganda it appears more likely to me that this kill switch is to protect the state, not the people.

Funny it's sold as important to protect the people, how exactly does this achieve that if it lets the state of the hook on the states terms?

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Bullshit.

Remember Apple and Intel are very willing to not only support but to take full participation of research and production as well as cashing out on this corrupt festering shitpile that is phone control.

You can be noble by boycotting Apple and Intel products and services.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
i dont understand how anyone could confuse these two "kill switches."

why would be worried if it WASN'T the one that cops can use to stop video from being taken......geez louise....
Pretty much the same concern. Not much point in recording if the cops can simply wipe your phone's memory.

Wait - the 65th amendment rights? Damn, you people HAVE to start waking me up when shit happens.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
are we actually really gonna witness USA become a full blown authoritarian police state?

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
The only people that would be worried that Police would hack cell phones, are idiots. Like the person who posted this idiotic topic.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Despite the propaganda it appears more likely to me that this kill switch is to protect the state, not the people.

Funny it's sold as important to protect the people, how exactly does this achieve that if it lets the state of the hook on the states terms?

Stuff to protect the state is ALWAYS sold as stuff to protect the people. Like in the police body cam thread a few weeks back how the police AT posters were trying to convince us that police body cams are a step toward threatening the liberty of the people, when in reality body cams on police actually protect the people while at the same time INCREASE the liberty of the people.

It's very Orwellian.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
What even happened to camcorders? I own one and is better than some fucking smartphone. You want secure coms? get a Motorola DTR or dPMR radio. DMR radios work too, but are expensive. The DTR's need no license, the other shit is illegal to use.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
The only people that would be worried that Police would hack cell phones, are idiots. Like the person who posted this idiotic topic.

Cops HATE HATE HATE being recorded. If there was technology to stop all phones from recording near cops I guarantee they would love it. Despite multiple warnings from the DOJ to stop doing it, individual cops are STILL trying to arrest & charge people for filming them on duty. Many times, their own department has issued memos and training that states people are allowed to record them in public. Millions of dollars worth of lawsuit settlements/judgements are paid out per year to people who were harassed, arrested, or physically abused by cops for the mere act of recording them. And yet it doesn't seem to change cop behavior. They still do the same shit. Why would they care? After all, it's not their money.

A small subset (usually several per day) of such instances are reported on at http://www.photographyisnotacrime.com.

Why would it make somebody an idiot to think that cops might hack cell phones? Police ALREADY DO HACK CELL PHONES. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray_phone_tracker and http://www.businessinsider.com/data-pirates-aka-cops-can-hack-your-cell-phone-2011-4. It would seem that people NOT thinking cops hack cell phones would be the idiot. Would that be you? More cop logic at work, I guess.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
A compact digital camera is all you need. Many of them will do full HD movies these days.

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012
A compact digital camera is all you need. Many of them will do full HD movies these days.

The prob is not everyone bothers carrying a camera around. We all have cell phones and the apparent raise in police violence is really just the raise in cell phones with cameras and video