Female Med School Applicants Surpass Men . . .

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
in Number. They surpassed men in aptitude a long time ago.:)

AAMC President Dr. Jordan J. Cohen recalled that in his 1960 Harvard class of 150 students, there were six women. That was, he said, "a banner year" for the time.
"When I was in medical school, it simply was assumed that medicine was not only a male profession, but was a white male profession," he said.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Probably just "my experience", but it seems to me while female doctors are excellent technically, they are less likely to delve into more progressive medical ideas.

i.e In the arena of OB/GYN's in our area, the female OB/GYN's seem much more traditional (i.e. induce at 38 weeks, bed rest, c-section & episiotomy crazy), while there are several progressive male OB/GYN's (will service home births, work with midwives, water-births, etc.) I've also found a lot more osteopaths are male?

Thoughts BBD?

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
In the arena of OB/GYN's in our area, the female OB/GYN's seem much more traditional (i.e. induce at 38 weeks, bed rest, c-section & episiotomy crazy)
hmm, that's interesting considering OB/GYN has just as much legacy tendency as any other discipline; ie. treatment today looks just like treatment 10 years ago. Dude, why on Earth are they inducing at 38wks . . . that's a touch quackish! Episiotomy is falling out of favor (evidence-based). Hell it was only several years ago people discovered that shaving pubes wasn't worth a damn . . . except for the billing charge for the razor.

while there are several progressive male OB/GYN's (will service home births, work with midwives, water-births, etc.
That's interesting. If I was an OB/GYN I would love a midwife . . . I would get paid just to supervise. The typical HMO pays $1500 for obstetrical service . . . that's conception to the nursery. I would let a woman give birth on all fours while barking at the moon if it made her feel better. Doulas are apparently the bomb as well.

In my experience, the female OB/GYNs (senior residents) were very good . . . typically better than the men. If they were hard-arses it was b/c the attending physicians were hard-arses. The unwritten rule in residency training is that physicians pick residents that remind them of themselves.

I've also found a lot more osteopaths are male?
Well, just like the debate over allowing minorities to compete for slots . . . if you don't make more slots . . . somebody is going to get the short stick. Now that women are given the opportunity to compete on merit . . . some guys are getting pushed aside. I do know people that intentionally pick osteopathic medical school over allopathic medical school. But residency training is exactly the same. IMHO, it's possible many men that formerly would have entered osteopath school as the only option to allopathic medicine are now going to nursing school or some other allied health profession that was formerly dominated by women. Women on the otherhand, now have access to everything. Accordingly, the distribution of women across healthcare disciplines may be shifting dramatically as a reflection of individual preference.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I was just thinking that women would surpass men in the medical professional now that sexism is less prevalent in the US and women are more maternal (and yes, I know what I just said is somewhat sexist.)

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
I was just thinking that women would surpass men in the medical professional now that sexism is less prevalent in the US and women are more maternal (and yes, I know what I just said is somewhat sexist.)

Nothing wrong with that statement..everyone who has a mother knows it to be true..

One problem with our society is men *generally* choose a profession based on income...this is the wrong attitiude for medicine...sure some make it with this attitude and can hide it real well all the way though..but generally speaking they 1) realize medicine the work, school, and hours vs compensation is'nt worth it and go MBA.
or
2) Don't get the grades because thier heart is'nt in it so never marticulate.

This is why more woman are in the feild now.