Feel the smoke

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Looks like poor old Bernie won't be the nominee. Parting is sweet sorrow.

So, what's it feel like to lose? :twisted:

Feb 4, 2009
While I never really felt the bern his original stated goal for running was to bring Hillary to the left and he has achieved that goal.

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
While I never really felt the bern his original stated goal for running was to bring Hillary to the left and he has achieved that goal.

Won't matter one bit come the general -- she'll swing right after the convention or sooner if she eliminates Bernie before then.

You haven't been watching this game very long have you?

Brina

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
There are going to be a lot of disappointed peeps when they find out:

Hillary is not as far left as she sold herself.

Trump is not as far right as he sold himself.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I'm surprised you're so jovial about Bernie not being the nominee John. He opposes free trade, more wars and a variety of things that Hillary does not. He also doesn't break the law. Of what things he's more liberal than her on there is not a snowballs chance in hell even Congress Democrats would aid him, much less the GoP so that's more or less a non issue. Compared to Trump or Hillary, he seems the least bad of any of the candidates.

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015

That was never the goal, and anyone who knows anything about this election knows that the only thing Bernie shifted to the left was Hillary's campaign lies.

I'm surprised you're so jovial about Bernie not being the nominee John. He opposes free trade, more wars and a variety of things that Hillary does not. He also doesn't break the law. Of what things he's more liberal than her on there is not a snowballs chance in hell even Congress Democrats would aid him, much less the GoP so that's more or less a non issue. Compared to Trump or Hillary, he seems the least bad of any of the candidates.

Even as a conservative, a real conservative mind you, or a libertarian, or just about anything aside from a corporatist or a fascist, then Bernie is the best pick.

Last edited:

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
There are going to be a lot of disappointed peeps when they find out:

Hillary is not as far left as she sold herself.

Trump is not as far right as he sold himself.

What if it turns out they are really brother and sister?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Won't matter one bit come the general -- she'll swing right after the convention or sooner if she eliminates Bernie before then.

You haven't been watching this game very long have you?

Brina

Well -- lemme see about that. We had an election in 2008 with Hillary as a primary contender. Then in 2010, before the Tea Party assumed their elected positions, we had the passage of the ACA.

Immediately, the Right predictably made an effort to misrepresent the ACA with the N***** stigma, calling it "Obama-Care" supporting unspoken fears that it was (instead of a N***** in the woodpile) -- a N***** in the Emergency Room. Of course, I'm only articulating my asterisked best guess about the unspoken thought-stream of Obama opponents since Boehner stood up in 2009 to ask "Where are the jobs, Mr. President?" or someone told me about a relative who blamed Obama when the latter lost his job in summer 2008. Not the unspoken thought stream of all of them; just that of some of them.

But the ACA was primarily Hillary's brainchild. She had been fighting for it since the middle of the (other) Clinton years.

So I still suspect that if the Bern drops out or simply loses the primary, his supporters will line up behind Hillary, and there will indeed by a pull to the Left if Hillary wins the General. Or would she, herself, forget the impact she had in 2010? Which of Bernie's entourage will get cabinet appointments?

Sanders has done his service by articulating part of a wider Democratic problem-set -- the set of problems and rank-ordering of them that Democrats have argued for years. "Unwarranted influence, sought or unsought" as Ike put it in 1961? Sanders addresses part of that issue, no less than he addresses the Gini Index of the USA as compared to Mexico.

Ultimately, throw together the GOP and Democrat "problem-sets" as a general agenda for a new administration. I'd bet that the GOP would continue to ignore those problems cited by Democrats, although even the Koch brothers were quoted in conversations about the "widening gap between rich and poor" -- a belated slop thrown out to widen their base. Of course the measuring stick here is "who said what first."

Even so, if Sanders could actually yet win the Primary, what can you expect from him? You can expect the Gentleman to mean what he says, and to say what he means.

That's quite an asymmetric departure from our perceptions of what we can expect from the wild card -- the Joker -- call him "Humpty-Trumpty." It appears that -- if he's not having a "great fall" with the riots at his major events, it bodes a great fall for the party if he's nominated. And who threatens riots, based on convention outcomes? He is an egg-shell full of threats.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
The fact of the matter is most people are all ready aware Hillary isn't a far left "Liberul", as many Democrats are not either.

A lot of Democrats are pretty conservative, but many people tend to look at things in a black and white extreme context, which is incorrect.

And what Bonzai said :)

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
That was never the goal, and anyone who knows anything about this election knows that the only thing Bernie shifted to the left was Hillary's campaign lies.

I saw & heard Bernie make that statement on MSNBC the day or two before he announced he's running.

Last edited: