Feel good news thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 30, 2006
I'd like to see this thread continue as well. Random acts of kindness make the world a better place. Here's one.

http://www.sunnyskyz.com/feel-good-story/220/An-act-of-kindness-brings-tears

An act of kindness brings tears

Today I went to CardSmart on my lunch hour to mail a very large package (22 pounds) to my brother-in-law who has just been deployed to Afghanistan (third deployment in this war).

The young lady, Sara, finished weighing the package and told me the cost would be just under $45.

I pulled out my debit card and gave it to her. At that time, the gentleman behind me said, "Excuse me, did I hear you say that package is going to Afghanistan?"

I said, "Yes, it is for my brother-in-law."

He then told Sara that HE wanted to pay for the postage to mail that package.

I asked if he was sure and he said, "Absolutely, it is the least I can do."

I hugged this man and started to cry, as did Sara and anyone who saw what this man had just done. I could barely speak because of emotions and I knew that if I spoke anymore I would be a blubbering fool.

I left the store without ever getting this gentleman’s name. I pray he reads this and realizes how much he touched my heart with this act of kindness.

I have emailed my brother-in-law in Afghanistan to let him know what happened and that people really are thinking about them and appreciating all they do. I pray goodness comes to this man ten-fold.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
???

Does not compute!

I believe he's saying that when you took credit for starting a non-negative news trend, that it started an argument. Right or wrong to blame you, it was the deviation point of the thread and a classic P&N argument ensued. So I recommend, without any accepting of right or wrong or assignment of blame, that we all do our best to continue the theme of this thread of posting positive news.

So I'll start. This is a story from an animal sanctuary about an hour from me.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...ake-for-odd-yet-happy-family-at-ga-sanctuary/

At Noah’s Ark, a wild-animal rescue center in Georgia, the “BLT” are an unlikely trio that even “Oz’s” Dorothy would find hard to fear.

“It’s a lion, a tiger and a bear — oh my!” said Allison Hedgecoth of Noah’s Ark. “They live together and they don’t see their differences. They don’t see their color differences.”

In a small pen, Baloo (an American black bear), Leo (the lion) and Shere Kahn (a Bengal tiger) cuddle, play ball, chase each other around, eat cookies daily and seem to have forged a friendship for life.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Here's another one. While I've never been the biggest fan of George W. Bush, I've appreciated how he's conducted his affairs post his Presidency. Bush was invited to speak at the recent anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech but had to decline due to a recent heart surgery procedure. He did however release this statement which I think is quite good.

Office of George W. Bush
Dallas, Texas
August 28, 2013

STATEMENT BY PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH

Laura and I are proud to join our fellow Americans in commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington and Martin Luther King, Jr.’s “I Have A Dream” speech.

When Reverend King came to Washington, D.C., in the summer of 1963, his purpose was to hold our Nation to the standards spelled out in the Declaration of Independence. He called all of us to live up to that document’s fundamental promise and the underpinning of our founding – that all of us are created equal and endowed by our Creator with certain unalienable rights. From the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, with thousands gathered around him, Dr. King looked out over the American capital and uttered simple, powerful words that changed the hearts of millions. The dream he had spread a message of hope, justice, and brotherhood that took hold in the hearts of men and women around the world.

Our country has come a long way since that bright afternoon 50 years ago; yet our journey to justice is not complete. Just to the East of the Lincoln Memorial, where President Obama will speak on Wednesday, stands the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial. There on the National Mall our President, whose story reflects the promise of America, will help us honor the man who inspired millions to redeem that promise.

Dr. King was on this Earth just 39 years, but the ideals that guided his life of conscience and purpose are eternal. Honoring him requires the commitment of every one of us. There’s still a need for every American to help hasten the day when Dr. King’s vision is made real in every community – when what truly matters is not the color of a person’s skin, but the content of their character.

Laura and I thank the King family and all who work to carry on the legacy of a great man and the promise of a great Nation. May we continue to march toward the day when the dignity and humanity of every person is respected. And may God continue to bless America.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
I believe he's saying that when you took credit for starting a non-negative news trend, that it started an argument. Right or wrong to blame you, it was the deviation point of the thread and a classic P&N argument ensued. So I recommend, without any accepting of right or wrong or assignment of blame, that we all do our best to continue the theme of this thread of posting positive news.

So I'll start. This is a story from an animal sanctuary about an hour from me.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...ake-for-odd-yet-happy-family-at-ga-sanctuary/

Arguments start all the time, and so what? (not directed at you)

Frankly, this thread stinks of dishonesty because of the circumstances under which it was created -- I've been here long enough to ascertain that generally speaking, the P&N can care less about "good news", or "feel good stories".

It's good to see a thread like this, but lets be real thraashman, no one cared enough to post something like this prior to yesterday.

All the negative "thug" threads, no one bothered to make this thread -- a positive story focused mainly black men, NOW people want other "good threads".:rolleyes:

If this isn't a blatant display of utter, sheer dishonesty, then what is?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Here's another one. While I've never been the biggest fan of George W. Bush, I've appreciated how he's conducted his affairs post his Presidency. Bush was invited to speak at the recent anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech but had to decline due to a recent heart surgery procedure. He did however release this statement which I think is quite good.

th