Feel good news thread

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Here's a feel good story

NYC Programmer Offers to Teach Bright Homeless Guy to Code

Every day on his way to work Patrick McConlogue passes a young man who lives on the streets -- a guy whose eyes still shine with the light of determination and intelligence.Last week, McConlogue, a New York City entrepreneur, programmer and designer, decided to offer the man a choice: Either he could accept $100 in cash, or he could learn how to code and be given three books on JavaScript, a used laptop and free lessons for one hour each day.

Leo accepted the offer of programming lessons.

Patrick promised to write updates on his blog (Medium.com), letting his readers know how the experiment was progressing.

In the first August 25 update, McConlogue wrote that Leo really is a genius: "As I sat there becoming increasing stunned, he rattled off import/export prices on food, the importance of solar and green energy, and his approval for 'efficient public transportation initiatives [referring to NY’s new Citibike]'."

"He is smart, logical, and articulate. Most importantly, he is serious."

Follow the unfolding story on Leo's Facebook Community, Journeyman.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
I didn't see your name in the OP.

I started this to show you how to do something positive without mentioning race.

Well, why'd it take someone to mention race for you to do this? You could have easily done this whenever....so why now?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Clearly you were the inspiration Rob, even if he thinks he's trying to show you how to do it "right."

Nonetheless, great idea for a thread.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Well, why'd it take someone to mention race for you to do this? You could have easily done this whenever....so why now?

Just tired of seeing race based, gloom & doom, or other crap/bad news threads this morning so I decided to post something positive for a change.

Anyone could have done this including yourself however, no one appeared to be so inclined. Maybe it's because this is the P&N forum rather than the Discussion Club. Who knows?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Great stories. Thanks, folks!

Can't believe people are giving the programmer a hard time.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Just tired of seeing race based, gloom & doom, or other crap/bad news threads this morning so I decided to post something positive for a change.

Anyone could have done this including yourself however, no one appeared to be so inclined. Maybe it's because this is the P&N forum rather than the Discussion Club. Who knows?

Ok -- so let me get this straight; you didn't feel at all inclined even after that dreaded "farce on Washington" thread that was capped, not after the Pizza Delivery thug thread, not after that TM thread,... but only AFTER a thread shedding positive light on blacks did you feel inclined to finally divert attention away from race?

I don't have to explain to you how this makes you look.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
To add LJ, you have 4,543 posts in the TM thread (which is tops and damn near half your total post count) with your most recent one being this morning, yet you're tired of race?

You, Darkman, and SpatiallyAware are the top posters in the TM thread.

Yeah, you've proven your case.

Last edited:

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
To add LJ, you have 4,543 posts in the TM thread (which is tops and damn near half your total post count) with your most recent one being this morning, yet you're tired of race?

You, Darkman, and SpatiallyAware are the top posters in the TM thread.

Yeah, you've proven your case.

Maybe you should look at my posts within that thread where I called people out for calling TM a thug. Please fine my racist posts within that thread.

I'll be waiting for your proof of me being racist or an apology.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Maybe you should look at my posts within that thread where I called people out for calling TM a thug. Please fine my racist posts within that thread.

I'll be waiting for your proof of me being racist or an apology.

Wasn't calling you a racist, but I'll just drop it an not further derail this thread.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Wasn't calling you a racist, but I'll just drop it an not further derail this thread.

Speaking of the MLK farce thread, here's some comments I made to darkman.

You're calling MLK's civil rights march on Washington a farce shows your ignorance, he was an actual defender of civil rights that wanted people to work towards equality unlike the newer race baiting crowd (Sharpton, Jackson, and the like).

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=35416123&postcount=24

Most people take your lack of comments as being you support the contents of what you're posting. In many cases it makes you come across as being racist because you like to post racist laced articles or you like to parrot borderline racist comments (ie ebonics - ma baby didn't do noffin). Just like your recent obsession with black on white crime, I'm waiting for someone to flood the forum with whites committing murder and other crimes to offset your threads.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Didn't take long for the feel good story thread to take a standard P&N turn.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
No, let's keep it going

Stranger Shows Kindness to WWII Veteran Robbery Victim

http://www.sunnyskyz.com/good-news/365/Stranger-Shows-Kindness-to-WWII-Veteran-Robbery-Victim

A stranger who heard the news about a World War II veteran who was robbed in a grocery store parking lot this week wanted to do something nice for the man on Friday.
It was Wednesday when 93-year old Pedro De La Garza was sitting in a car in the parking lot of a local HEB. He kept his wallet in his shirt pocket, and a man approached the car window, reached in and stole it.
The thief pulled $20 out of the wallet before tossing back into the car and escaping.
When Fabian Garcia saw the story on the news, he thought of his own father.
"People have no heart at all," Garcia said. "For someone his age; someone that went to war so that we can be free."
Garcia wanted to make up for what the thief had done to De La Garza, so he gave him with a $20 bill to make good on the money that was stolen from him, and presented the veteran with an American flag.
De La Garza was overcome by his war memories, evoked by the Garcia, the son of another WWII veteran. Garcia spent time reminiscing with De La Garza about his own father.
"My dad was a medic during World War II, and he was in the same area as Mr. De La Garza," Garcia said. "He's been gone since Dec. 24, 1995, and to this day, I still miss him."
After only a few minutes, De La Garza was so touched that he had trouble thanking Garcia for his kindness.
"I thank him for it, and..." De La Garza said.