Feb. 20: Total Eclipse of the Moon

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Damn I missed it. Was -30 out so did not really feel like going outside and standing to wait for it, but now I regret it, its one of those things thats so cool to see.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RedSquirrel
Damn I missed it. Was -30 out so did not really feel like going outside and standing to wait for it, but now I regret it, its one of those things thats so cool to see.

Its still happening....

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
This outrage must be stopped! In my opinion the military should be lobbing missiles at the Moon for this outrageous behavior instead of shooting down the satellite.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
I found it... I had to walk a block or two to get a good view, but I saw it. Pretty cool.

austin316

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
Originally posted by: secretanchitman
i see it here in chicago...its awesome.

is it still sweet in chicago right now at 9:48PM? I live in an apartment, so is it worth it to brave the cold and get to the roof?

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
Better go out now....the totality is almost over....or errr is....

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
Did anyone in the SE see a red-looking satellite (?) cross near the moon at about 10:20 EST? Just wondering if anyone can figure out what it was.

indamixx99

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2006
That low flying satellite is supposed to be visible to the naked eye. That could've been it 10 minutes or so before it was shot down.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
i'm so pissed that i missed an opportunity because it's snowing here in rochester, ny.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
It was cool seeing the triangle formed by the red moon, Saturn appearing vibrantly red, and the bright star Regulus.
Damn shame my SLR is back home and not with me down here at school. Going to have to get it though for next quarter for the Photography class, but obviously too late. It's cool that I got to see both lunar eclipses we had in the past year, but neither time did I photograph it. If I had a digital SLR I'd take time-lapse shots and compile them. I should learn how to take multiple shots without advancing the film in my SLR, but that's tricky to get exposure right.
Oh well, Dec. 20th, 2010 will be when I hopefully break out the camera for the next lunar eclipse.

Shall I try shooting the solar eclipse in August? lol

edit:
and I'm glad that this rare treat was with Regulus and not a dimmer star as viewed from Earth... Columbus, OH's light pollution kills star gazing. But I was able to see all 3 quite well, but likely it was very vibrant in unpopulated areas.

I swear, one day I will go to Death Valley at night to take shots of the unpolluted night sky. I've seen long-exposure shots that just have so many stars in the frame, and even a slice of our band of the galaxy can be viewed. Would be amazing to witness in person, and to photograph myself.

Originally posted by: indamixx99
That low flying satellite is supposed to be visible to the naked eye. That could've been it 10 minutes or so before it was shot down.

any news as to whether they actually shot it down tonight or not, or if any attempt had missed? Each night they only get a 10 minute window of opportunity to strike it down, and tonight they supposedly were unsure if the rough seas would calm in time.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
It's a shame we know enough about astronomy now that Clinton can't say her god will eat the moon if we don't support her.