FEAR Of Flying

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

I think the odds of someone hijacking a flight at this point are very close to 0. I mean, we all KNOW what those mofos intend to do with it... and I'm sure as hell not gonna sit tight and enjoy the inflight movie while they aim for some national landmark.

20 hijackers with nail clippers vs 300some angry people - no contest.

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
you are right, flying is to dangerous, give me your tickets and I will take all the requisite pictures and photoshop you in.

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
My first time in a commercial plane was an 8 hour flight from Chicago to Madrid by myself. I had a full blown panic attack as soon as we started taxiing. Keep in mind I had never had anything close to a panic attack before in my life. I felt like I had to get out of my seat and my heart was pounding so hard I thought I was going to die. About 2 hours into it I was still doing deep breaths and talking myself out of it. Half way through I was doing much better. Probably one of the worst experiences of my life.

The flight home was awesome. I had no nervousness and I enjoyed every aspect of the flight. Enjoy!

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
For the last leg, make sure that you know how to swim. Other than that, there is not problem.

You have a better chance of getting nailed on the road by an idiot driver than having to swim in the middle of the Pacific.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
See your doc and get a prescription for some type of anti-anxiety pills. Then the plane could fall out of the sky in flames and you wouldn't mind.

ColdFusion718

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2000
Don't worry, if you start freaking out on the plane, I'll punch you in the face and knock you out. If you wake up before your flight lands, I'll hit you again. :D

If you start to feel some anxiety, take slow and deep breaths. It'll be all right. After a few hours your body will just cope with it. Good luck.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
As a pilot I am more afraid of driving. In order for air fatalities to equal auto fatalities... a fully loaded 747 would need to crash evry day.

So flying is pretty safe.. even with the threat of terrorists.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Attempting to rationalize away an irrational fear doesn't help at all. The anxiety sufferer in the midst of a panic attack is well aware that his fear is irrational.

Darkstar757

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
Well my DOC just gave me some XANAX does anyone know what this stuff does or how it makes you feel?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The information you're seeking is all readily available online. Text

Xanax is a "benzo" and is a common prescription for various anxiety disorders. Common side effects are drowsiness, mild euphoria, and some minor memory loss. It is mildly intoxicating (like I said earlier, take enough and the plane could down in flames and you wouldn't mind), so there is a minor risk of abuse, dependence, and overdose. Just follow the doc's instructions, don't abuse it, and you'll be fine.

Aug 10, 2001
Flying can be scary, but my fascination with airplanes (a fascination I've had since I was a little boy) outweighs my fears.

EDIT: That sounded gay. But seriously, I always get so excited when I fly.

Jeffwo

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2001
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Darkstar757
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: KK
wouldn't that suck if his plane did actually go down.</end quote></div>

It wont matter because im going to have nothing but Xanax in my blood.

:)</end quote></div>

If you are gonna take Xanax you better give someone your wallet to keep for you for the next 48 hours after (you could possible make some really bad financial decisions) and don't make any plans before noon the next day (drug hangover, powerful half-life).

They always made me feel so weird day of and so yucky the next day :(

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Deal with it? I fly all the time and I certainly have reason enough not to. I think of bad things everytime I fly but I just suck it up and ignore it. Mind over matter can really help you out. Just try to convince yourself how safe it is and that if something does happen it will likely happen so fast you won't even have time to be scared.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
OP, there are tons of resources online. I googled "fear of flying washington DC", and came up with some local classes for you. Your departure date is too soon for that, but this site has some self-help tips for anxiety. http://www.anxietycoach.com/

Here is another.
http://www.anxieties.com/flying.php
Let me know if they do you any good. I fly private aircraft, and have passengers who would like to go except for the anxiety.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Well you better get some sleep as this will be the last sleep before your eternal dirt nap. :)