FEAR Of Flying

Darkstar757

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
Well my close friends know that at time I can be a worry wart. However, with the terrorists acting crazy in the UK and I have a flight to Hawaii this weekend I am nervous as hell. I dont really like flying and this will be the longest flight of my life. What can I do to keep from having a nervous break down on these flights.

:(

Update1Well my DOC just gave me some XANAX does anyone know what this stuff does or how it makes you feel?

Update 2 Well the flight is tomorrow and I am scared shitless.

Update 3 Well I am back from Hawaii! The first flight from DC to ATL I was scared shitless even with the xanax in my system. The pilot must have been very inexperienced as the MD88 plane rocked and jolted hard during takeoff from Regan international. I dam near cried as I saw my life flash before my eyes. The second flight from ATL to honlulu on a Boeing 767 was much much much better. While the flight was long the size and stability of the larger plane made me much more comfortable. Also prior to the flight the attendents from the first flight notified the crew of the long flight of my fear of flying. The captain met me before the flight and ensured me all would be ok and that my safety was his number one concern! WOW way to go Delta! Any how after that I was not nearly as scared and was able to make the trip there and back ok.

Thanks to all who helped me through my fear of flying.

:D
BTW PICS of me on the plane and in Hawaii are comming soon.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Take sleeping pills after takeoff and zone out for 8 hours, you'll be fine.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Remember that flying is statistically extremely safe.

Or you can wack yourself out on sleeping pills.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: K1052

Or you can wack yourself out on sleeping pills.

Actually, statistically flying is almost equal to driving based on casualties per mile. Overall there are way less plane wrecks, but there are also way less miles logged on planes.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: TallBill
BOOZE!!!

Sometimes thats not really a good plan.

I tried that with those free bottles of wine on a transatlantic flight and just got drunk, didn't fall asleep, and transitioned straight to one of the worst hangovers of my life before the plane even landed.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: K1052

Or you can wack yourself out on sleeping pills.</end quote></div>

Actually, statistically flying is almost equal to driving based on casualties per mile. Overall there are way less plane wrecks, but there are also way less miles logged on planes.

I think the statistics on US domestic carriers (which is what we are talking about) are better than driving even with the adjustments.

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006

That's an odd comparison if you ask me. I'd say that if you were going from point A to point B, you'd be safer in a plane then you would be in a car, and that's really what matter.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: K1052
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TallBill

Actually, statistically flying is almost equal to driving based on casualties per mile. Overall there are way less plane wrecks, but there are also way less miles logged on planes.</end quote></div>

I think the statistics on US domestic carriers (which is what we are talking about) are better than driving even with the adjustments.

In deaths per hour, after converting from mph and deaths per mile, commercial flights are just over twice as safe as cars. General Aviation is not so good, though. 4-5x more deaths per hour than driving.

Darkstar757

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
Originally posted by: iamwiz82

Actually, statistically flying is almost equal to driving based on casualties per mile. Overall there are way less plane wrecks, but there are also way less miles logged on planes.</end quote></div>

I think the statistics on US domestic carriers (which is what we are talking about) are better than driving even with the adjustments.</end quote></div>

In deaths per hour, after converting from mph and deaths per mile, commercial flights are just over twice as safe as cars. General Aviation is not so good, though. 4-5x more deaths per hour than driving.

OMG I feel like puking already and I am four days from the flight.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Darkstar757
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: iamwiz82

I think the statistics on US domestic carriers (which is what we are talking about) are better than driving even with the adjustments.</end quote></div>

In deaths per hour, after converting from mph and deaths per mile, commercial flights are just over twice as safe as cars. General Aviation is not so good, though. 4-5x more deaths per hour than driving.</end quote></div>

Because commercial flights are much safer on a per-hour basis? :confused:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: iamwiz82

In deaths per hour, after converting from mph and deaths per mile, commercial flights are just over twice as safe as cars. General Aviation is not so good, though. 4-5x more deaths per hour than driving.</end quote></div>

Relax, it is more dangerous for me to walk down/across a busy city street to my train stop every day than for you to get on that plane.

Darkstar757

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
I know my fear isnt rational but when I think of the poor people in those planes on 911 it still does strike fear into my heart. I keep telling myself I should not give the terrorist that control because that is what they want. Uncontrolled Fear

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
See a doc, tell them the story. If you have a decent doc they will give you a small prescription for some sedatives, aka happy pills (like xanax, valium, etc.) for the flight there and back.

P.S. DO NOT mix those with booze.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I know my fear isnt rational but when I think of the poor people in those planes on 911 it still does strike fear into my heart. I keep telling myself I should not give the terrorist that control because that is what they want. Uncontrolled Fear

You have a better chance of getting skin cancer in Hawaii then getting hijacked. Hell, you have a better chance of getting skin cancer at the bottom of the ocean then getting hijacked.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
The problem is I have three flight to get to hawaii.

Let me guess, you're travelling through LAX or SFO to get to Hawaii? You should be fine, the trip from the west coast to the islands is extremely uneventful and the weather is usually good this time of year. Try to relax and enjoy it. Can you bring along some movies to watch or something to listen to that's relaxing?

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
I'm scared of flying too. Especially turbulence. But I am never getting on another plane again so I have nothing to worry about.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
I'm scared of flying too. Especially turbulence. But I am never getting on another plane again so I have nothing to worry about.

Yes, but if you realize that you have no control over the events then why be worried?

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
I'm scared of flying too. Especially turbulence. But I am never getting on another plane again so I have nothing to worry about.</end quote></div>

Yes, but if you realize that you have no control over the events then why be worried?

Because I have no control...lol.

Darkstar757

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
I'm scared of flying too. Especially turbulence. But I am never getting on another plane again so I have nothing to worry about.</end quote></div>

Yes, but if you realize that you have no control over the events then why be worried?</end quote></div>

Exactly!

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Yes, but if you realize that you have no control over the events then why be worried?</end quote></div>

So how are you going on a cruise if you don't know how to sail a ship? :p