FDA to ban ephedra

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Once again a product takes the hit - not the unregulated businesses that mixed
this material willy-nilly into anything that they could sell to people for profit.

It will be banned in the future, so some will rush out and but it up now.

I'm sure that like many other substances this could have been regulated as it
does have desired effects when applied correctly and under a regulated dosage.

There are way too many loopholes in the 'Health and Nutrition' side of the
Food and Drug Administration that remain open as a result of Lobby Money
so the Vitamin selles can make big bucks - with the uninformed public at risk.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
.Unlike drugs, dietary supplements do not have to be proven safe before going on the market, but federal authorities can act to take them off the shelves if they are shown to be unsafe.

That's news to the worry.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: Mill
FDA bans ephedra due to less than 10 deaths over the years.

Does this concern anyone else? Banning ephedra and not cigarettes? How does that even make sense? NEITHER should be banned. People know the risk of each product and there is plenty of warning on the label of both of them. This is a sad day in America.

Isn't Ephedra the main ingrediant when it comes to making Meth?

Yep it sure is. I wonder how much that weighed on their decision? Where my parents live there is 100s of labs being discovered a month. You can't even buy anything with pseudoephedrine or ephedra anymore unless it is one package and you have to sign for it. Not only that but they keep it in the pharmacy and not on the shelves. Their meth epidemic is out of control.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: alchemize
Just curious, moonbeam. What's your age/weight/height? Do you smoke?

You may be curious but it doesn't, in your case seem to imply intelligence. I said I was in a Wal-Mart amd described what I saw. Surely you know by now, reading my posts with all diligence, that what we see is what we are.

Oh my Beloved, you are one fat dumb chimney smoking slob. :D
---------------------
Galt loves America and I am He.

I wasn't asking from a point of assessing your intelligence (emotional or intellectual), although you seem to be willing to assess mine based on my question.

I'm trying to determine where your perpsective on being overweight and smokers is from. If you are thin and don't smoke, versus fat and do, that's a very different comment you've made, isn't it? We can strike age, height and weight and smoking are all I really want to know.

Are you a hippo on the nile, or a crane? :p

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Just curious, moonbeam. What's your age/weight/height? Do you smoke?

You may be curious but it doesn't, in your case seem to imply intelligence. I said I was in a Wal-Mart amd described what I saw. Surely you know by now, reading my posts with all diligence, that what we see is what we are.

Oh my Beloved, you are one fat dumb chimney smoking slob. :D
---------------------
Galt loves America and I am He.

I wasn't asking from a point of assessing your intelligence (emotional or intellectual), although you seem to be willing to assess mine based on my question.

I'm trying to determine where your perpsective on being overweight and smokers is from. If you are thin and don't smoke, versus fat and do, that's a very different comment you've made, isn't it? We can strike age, height and weight and smoking are all I really want to know.

Are you a hippo on the nile, or a crane? :p

In the mirror, am I not what I see?

"If you are thin and don't smoke, versus fat and do, that's a very different comment you've made, isn't it?"

If I were asleep when I spoke and nothing more important was intended. As it happens, I wasn't on that level. An answer to your question would only put you further off the scent. I am what I see and what I see is you. I leave you to decide whether that's good or bad, or whether we are fat or thin. :D

Are we, should we be, out brother's keeper and what would it mean to be or to be correctly. Isn't that the real question?

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Haven't we just become a reactionary society run amuck ? Everything we do - we do to excess !
We run way too far in one direction, then in a panic try to regulate everything back to where it was.
The Political nature of our country reflects that in the News headlines:
At this hour on the YAHOO! News column
In the following order (This will change as the news worthiness evolves)

U.S. bans ephedra
Ashcroft steps down
U.S. bans 'downer' cattle
Iraq arms hunt
Nasdaq questions conflict
The French

Everything is a reaction to something that was allowed to advance without forthought except
to put a stop to something in order to gain acknowledgement of a Political statement.

The U.S. Could have stopped ephedra 10 - 20 years ago instead of letting it continue unregulated.
Dietary supplement ? Stimulants, speed, and the root ingredients of street drugs ?
This is from those same fine people that give us our "War On Drugs' & 'Just Say NO"
What a joke - the lobby paid them off until public outrage was a political liability.

Ashcroft knew he was on the inside looking at the inside and would not be able to skate away.
I've followed this mans politics since '96 when I moved from Orlando to Saint Louis.
What he has at play as an Attourneys General is mild compared to the road he presented,
and the political punishment he handed out as first the Governor and the as Senator.
(Remember - as an incumbent he lost to a dead candidate)

Diseased cattle should NEVER have been allowed into the food chain.
Don't suppose that the Texas Cattle Industry might want some influence on this.
If the rules that were requested to be enacted back under Clintons watch
(when 'Mad Cow' became the 'in' thing for Canada)
would have been allowed out of comittee or allowed to a vote and then passed to the
other legislative branch it would have been signed and this would not have happened,
but the way things are going with Dubya's Keystone Kongress, it probably have been
undone as an EPA action and as a favor to the Industry.
Don't want sick cows cluttering up the landscape, gotta eat 'um up,
then we'll let the rendering houses turn them into pet food.
Fido will be so thankful that he'll lick you on the mouth.

WMD Hunt, and on, and on . . . .ad nasuem
Yep - over reaction, who'd a thunk it.

Nasdaq - Big Business is absouletly honest. Totally Ethical. Never would they cheat for profit.
We would just let Enron go on and on, wouldn't we?

Oh, God - even the French.
Why must there be French ?

Every single stereotypical example is overindulgence and over reaction by a regulatory agency.
Except the French, but what can I say about that ? After all they are French.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Moonbeam:
Didn't think you'd answer the question. So I'll just assume you are fat.

Logic: people with high numbers of post-counts sit on their duffs all day in front of the computer don't get the heart rate up often, except when they really get lathered up over a political idea or a serious FPS session ;)

I know you smoke, but now the question is, is tobbacco included?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
How, exactly, is ephedra infringing on anyone else's rights? People aren't out committing crime to get it nor has anyone ever said it was addictive. Why is the government banning it? Over a few deaths? In most of those deaths MISUSE of the product was an issue.

We need to make safer guns and knives!