FCC proposes $225 fee to review complaints...

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
https://gizmodo.com/ajit-pais-fcc-doesnt-want-to-hear-your-complaints-unles-1827500381

Ajit Pai and the Republican-controlled Federal Communications Commission successfully rolled back Barack Obama-era net neutrality guidelines earlier this year, but they’re not done screwing with consumers yet. According to the Verge, the FCC is now mulling a plan that could ensure its staff will only review complaints against telecoms after the complainant has paid a $225 fee. It could be pushed through as soon as Thursday.

So in other words, if you don't pay, the complaint is just forwarded to the ISP who will likely just throw it in the spam / trash box.

Government by and for the people.......nah, just kidding.

What a crock!!!

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
I read something on this earlier. I believe the formal complaint has always cost money.
There is currently a method to file an informal complaint for free that will cause the FCC to contact the business as sort of a mediation type deal.

They want to now take the informal complaints and just forward them to the company at fault. So instead of doing even a half-ass investigation, they will now just snitch you out to the company and wash their hands of it unless you pay the $225.00

"Dear Comcast, John Doe says you ripped him off. LOL!!!

Signed, Ajit Cumsucker." File closed.

This effectively kills most of America from making a complaint when one of the giant companies fucks them on their bill. Only liberal elites will have the money to file a claim.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Feb 4, 2009
As a former Telecom guy who reviewed some complaints that were forwarded to me from the folks that get these, I don’t think a minor filing fee is unreasonable. People need to have skin in the game on matters like this, generating multiple complaints about billing, unavailablity of service and quality of service when the problem usually was
Them being sent 3 bills over 3 months and one of them was paid this there are 2 unpaid bills and Service has been shut off until balance is paid. Those aren’t 3 separate issues, it is one issue.
The proposed amount sounds pretty high I’m thinking $5 just to make people be concise about what the real problem is.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
As a former Telecom guy who reviewed some complaints that were forwarded to me from the folks that get these, I don’t think a minor filing fee is unreasonable. People need to have skin in the game on matters like this, generating multiple complaints about billing, unavailablity of service and quality of service when the problem usually was
Them being sent 3 bills over 3 months and one of them was paid this there are 2 unpaid bills and Service has been shut off until balance is paid. Those aren’t 3 separate issues, it is one issue.
The proposed amount sounds pretty high I’m thinking $5 just to make people be concise about what the real problem is.

Well, as I'm sure you know, the reason it's $225 isn't to filter out the noise -- it's to silence criticism. Besides, as a government institution in a democracy it's not supposed to charge people for their input.

Feb 4, 2009
Well, as I'm sure you know, the reason it's $225 isn't to filter out the noise -- it's to silence criticism. Besides, as a government institution in a democracy it's not supposed to charge people for their input.

Yup totally get that