FBI investigating if Trump is a Russian agent

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
As per the New York Times, in 2017 Trump’s behavior towards Russia became so bizarre and so alarming that the FBI began a counterintelligence investigation in order to determine if Trump was acting as a Russian agent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/us/politics/fbi-trump-russia-inquiry.html

When Mueller was appointed he took over this investigation and it continues to today but what’s interesting about this and previously unknown is that Mueller did not BEGIN the investigation into Trump, he took over an ONGOING counterintelligence investigation into Trump’s potential status as a Russian agent.

The fact that our intelligence services were so concerned about the president’s bizarre behavior that they felt it necessary to open a counterintelligence investigation into him is, to the best of my knowledge, without precedent in US history. Basically, our intelligence services are concerned the president may be a traitor. Wow.

Reactions: cytg111

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Yet none of this is surprising, other than that the FBI did in fact open the investigation into what was obvious to everyone paying attention. His behavior is bizarre, and the innocent explanations are increasingly fantastical.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Sadly instead of getting Conservatives to question Trump, they doubled down and dismissed every person and institution that scrutinized him as a political hit job.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Noooooooooooooo.... You dont say. I must say this catches me off guard, I did NOT see that one coming... Like AT ALL...I wonder what else of insane plot twists the universe have in store for us?
Trump a Russian agent.

You dont say.
Insane.
Plot.
Twist.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Sadly instead of getting Conservatives to question Trump, they doubled down and dismissed every person and institution that scrutinized him as a political hit job.

That’s what’s most amazing to me. The party that backs law enforcement at every opportunity instantly turned against them when law enforcement started enforcing the law against them.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Trump has spent the morning attacking Comey again saying he was a crooked cop and let Hillary get away...which directly contradicts the official justification he gave for Comey's firing.

It would be difficult to view Trump's actions at the time as anything but really deeply suspicious.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Remember for decades how conservatives tried to paint liberals as unpatriotic and a possible fifth column inside our country?

Those were the days.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Tabloid stuff to rile up sheep.

Also from the story:

"No evidence has emerged publicly that Mr. Trump was secretly in contact with or took direction from Russian government officials. An F.B.I. spokeswoman and a spokesman for the special counsel’s office both declined to comment."

Is this investigation closed? It has been years and nothing has come of it.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Also from the story:

"No evidence has emerged publicly that Mr. Trump was secretly in contact with or took direction from Russian government officials.
And if Whitaker gets his way, regardless of what is found, it will stay that way.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Have you been in a coma for the entire Mueller investigation?
He's generally confused and ill informed. Perhaps he's thinking of Benghazi? Mueller has indicted folks.. Although I guess that's "nothing" to some.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
As per the New York Times, in 2017 Trump’s behavior towards Russia became so bizarre and so alarming that the FBI began a counterintelligence investigation in order to determine if Trump was acting as a Russian agent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/us/politics/fbi-trump-russia-inquiry.html

When Mueller was appointed he took over this investigation and it continues to today but what’s interesting about this and previously unknown is that Mueller did not BEGIN the investigation into Trump, he took over an ONGOING counterintelligence investigation into Trump’s potential status as a Russian agent.

The fact that our intelligence services were so concerned about the president’s bizarre behavior that they felt it necessary to open a counterintelligence investigation into him is, to the best of my knowledge, without precedent in US history. Basically, our intelligence services are concerned the president may be a traitor. Wow.

From the article:

" It is unclear whether Mr. Mueller is still pursuing the counterintelligence matter, and some former law enforcement officials outside the investigation have questioned whether agents overstepped in opening it. "

" No evidence has emerged publicly that Mr. Trump was secretly in contact with or took direction from Russian government officials. An F.B.I. spokeswoman and a spokesman for the special counsel’s office both declined to comment. "

I didn't see anything new or earth shattering in the article at all.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Remember for decades how conservatives tried to paint liberals as unpatriotic and a possible fifth column inside our country?

Those were the days.
It's as if they knew which words to use to cast a spell over a certain segment of the population while their actions and motives may not have been quite consistent with those weirds ... Strange. Can't possibly think of an explanation.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Tabloid stuff to rile up sheep.

Also from the story:

"No evidence has emerged publicly that Mr. Trump was secretly in contact with or took direction from Russian government officials. An F.B.I. spokeswoman and a spokesman for the special counsel’s office both declined to comment."

Is this investigation closed? It has been years and nothing has come of it.

No, if you had bothered to read the article you would have seen that the investigation was transferred to Mueller and is ongoing. It’s likely what led to all the convictions of Trump associates so far.

Thanks for exactly proving my point about conservatives, however.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
And if Whitaker gets his way, regardless of what is found, it will stay that way.

Congress can call Mueller to testify, at a minimum. The idea that the content of the report can actually be buried is a hall of fame moronic idea only thought by people close to Trump.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
From the article:

" It is unclear whether Mr. Mueller is still pursuing the counterintelligence matter, and some former law enforcement officials outside the investigation have questioned whether agents overstepped in opening it. "

" No evidence has emerged publicly that Mr. Trump was secretly in contact with or took direction from Russian government officials. An F.B.I. spokeswoman and a spokesman for the special counsel’s office both declined to comment. "

Why do you think either of these passages are relevant? It is just saying that the status of the investigation is unknown at this time. As for former agents saying things they clearly don’t know the evidence it was based on.

Are you not INCREDIBLY disturbed by the fact that the FBI felt it necessary to determine if the president is acting as the agent of a hostile foreign power?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
From the article:

Right. He is remarking on the simple fact that the FBI began an investigation into whether or not the president is a Russian asset. Full stop. No need to go further. That premise alone is mind blowing.

As for the parts you've listed, they aren't relevant to the initial point. The first is opinion from unnamed officials, and certainly I can appreciate that some may have that opinion. The second just means a non public investigation has either stopped or not been made public. Doesn't mean nothing was found which is weirdly what some people argue it means.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Congress can call Mueller to testify, at a minimum. The idea that the content of the report can actually be buried is a hall of fame moronic idea only thought by people close to Trump.

According to the person who wrote the special counsel statute burying the report is basically impossible.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
According to the person who wrote the special counsel statute burying the report is basically impossible.

I don't put it past these people to, in some really incompetent and perhaps even illegal way, give it a try even though they won't be successful.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I don't put it past these people to, in some really incompetent and perhaps even illegal way, to give it a try even though they won't be successful.

I fully expect they will try because the most likely outcome is that the report is catastrophic for them. It’s hard for me to imagine that Mueller isn’t aware of the likelihood they will try to bury it.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I fully expect they will try because the most likely outcome is that the report is catastrophic for them. It’s hard for me to imagine that Mueller isn’t aware of the likelihood they will try to bury it.

He obviously knows.

If Trump tires to play hide the turd with this he's just going to smear more of it on himself.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm honestly still laughing about how he managed to get FBI investigations opened into himself, including them looking into if he was a Russian asset, because of the Comey firing and his subsequent actions while proudly proclaiming he wasn't under investigation and thanking Comey for telling him that (in the firing letter no less).

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Why do you think either of these passages are relevant? It is just saying that the status of the investigation is unknown at this time. As for former agents saying things they clearly don’t know the evidence it was based on.

Are you not INCREDIBLY disturbed by the fact that the FBI felt it necessary to determine if the president is acting as the agent of a hostile foreign power?

This is OLD News and nothing new at all.

I'll wait for Mueller's final report rather than overreact to sensational headlines by an obviously biased media channel.

I think that there were many at the FBI that were obviously biased in the extreme and would do nearly anything to throw Trump out of office Comey, Peter Strzok and Lisa Page. They have since been fired thank god.

I think if they had anything that remotely indicated Trump was acting along with Russia there would have been some action to remove him from office by now.