Favorite Israeli/Middle Eastern Food?

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Theres an Israeli deli 3 doors down from me at work and i wanna try new things there... What do ya reccomend??

Ive had their 'Shwarama' (sp?) and its AWESOME....

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Shwarma is great, but you've never really lived untill you've had "Meuraav Yerushalmi" in a pita. It's basically a mixture of every unhealthy part of meat (including chicken hearts), and grilled.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Shwarma is great, but you've never really lived untill you've had "Meuraav Yerushalmi" in a pita. It's basically a mixture of every unhealthy part of meat (including chicken hearts), and grilled.

Chicken Hearts!?!? Dosent sound too appetizing...

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: aphexII

I know it doesnt. You gotta trust me on this one.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001

I know it doesnt. You gotta trust me on this one.

Haha, ill ask em if they have it... I'll prolly go in like 20-30 mins... Anything else to try?

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Ummm, sure. Aish Tannur, Falafal of course, million others that dont come to mind this second.........

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
I know they sell 'falafel's'...

What are they??

Ramsnake

Apr 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Pepsei
gyro.... and that's pronounced e-roll

nope i think that is eerross...and that is greek cuisine not mid east....

besides a fine shawarma and the range of kebabs....i love a simple combo of qaboos, hummus , felafel and some vegetables..yummy!

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Lebanese Baklava (second only to Greek Baklava)
Stuffed Grape Leaves
Cabbage Rolls
Lula Kebab
Red Lentil Soup
And of course, good hummus

If we are going to include Greek food, also:
Gyro
Souvlaki
Octapothi
Moussaka (originally Middle Eastern anyways)
Giavourlakia Avgolemono
Chicken Avgolemono Soup
Keftedakia
Spanokopita
Pastitsio

cmdavid

Diamond Member
May 23, 2001

depending on what type of the middle east you're talking about, most of the greek and middle east share the same food/culture... i know that Egypt and Greek definitely share nearly exactly the same food and culture... its more often considered a mediterranean culture to relate more easily to both...

and generally schiwarma (you eat lamb in it??) and gyros are just substitutions for each other...

filaffel are kind of like vegetable burgers i guess are the best way to explain it.... but you put them in a pita w/ some tabouli if you'd like, or other mix of lettuce, tomato, cucumbers or whatever you like in your sandwiches, then top it off w/ some tahena sauce and eat away at it....

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
and generally schiwarma (you eat lamb in it??) and gyros are just substitutions for each other...

filaffel are kind of like vegetable burgers i guess are the best way to explain it.... but you put them in a pita w/ some tabouli if you'd like, or other mix of lettuce, tomato, cucumbers or whatever you like in your sandwiches, then top it off w/ some tahena sauce and eat away at it....
I eat lamb in Schwarma though most places substitute the real lamb meat for cheaper stuff. Falafel is very different than a veggie burger! It's not supposed to be a meat substitute or supposed to taste like meat. The falafel balls are made of ground chickpeas and garlic.

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
I know they sell 'falafel's'...

What are they??

A deep fried ball of chick pea mixture. Good ones are spicy and crisp. Usually people will eat it in a pita with cabbage and various other fillings with some hummus.

Ramsnake

Apr 12, 2002
Originally posted by: sandigga
depending on what type of the middle east you're talking about, most of the greek and middle east share the same food/culture... i know that Egypt and Greek definitely share nearly exactly the same food and culture... its more often considered a mediterranean culture to relate more easily to both...

the authentic shawarma has the meat of a goat....

tabouli is fine...and how could i forget....the stuffed vine leaves dish is delicious!

cmdavid

Diamond Member
May 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Ramsnake
Originally posted by: sandigga

tabouli is fine...and how could i forget....the stuffed vine leaves dish is delicious!
hmm.. not in my household.... ive always known it to use lamb...

aphex

Jul 19, 2001

This deli here uses 98% fat free turkey.