• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Favorite computer terms *slang*

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gwrober

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2005
Originally posted by: fLum0x
Originally posted by: randay
float test. throw it off the boat and see if it'll float.
this is the only one i have heard of :(
From my military days, we used a similar one - we used to call fubar'd equipment 'anchors' or 'tie downs'.....we had one reel-to-reel recorder (actually the term is used with any equipment in this situation) that was only held on to for parts - 'raped' if you will....it was call the 'hanger queen'.....ie:

"I need a new rear chassis strut for the left motor"
"Go rape the hangar queen"

:p

OmahaTaz

Sep 12, 2005
My Favorite is PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair). But I also like H.O.S.E.D. (Hardware Or Software Error Detected).

nissan720

Dec 3, 2004
There is always the old standby:

So what was the problem again?
It was just an I-D-10-T error.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
The router went "four paws up"

Very old school term describing a piece of network equipment that is no longer working - normally due to a crash. "four paws up" referrs to what a dog does when it doesn't want to work - rolls over and puts it's paws in the air.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Originally posted by: spidey07
The router went "four paws up"

Very old school term describing a piece of network equipment that is no longer working - normally due to a crash. "four paws up" referrs to what a dog does when it doesn't want to work - rolls over and puts it's paws in the air.
Tango Uniform

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
A couple of my favorites:

"sh|t the bed" - crashed, hosed, etc.
"PICNIC error" - problem in chair not in computer

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: AMCRambler
A couple of my favorites:

"sh|t the bed" - crashed, hosed, etc.
"PICNIC error" - problem in chair not in computer
Nice :laugh: Haha I'll have to use that.

ASK THE COMMUNITY