Favela removed from MW2 & MW3 *temporarily*

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
http://kotaku.com/5949764/modern-wa...er-complaints-from-muslim-gamers?popular=true

So somewhere in favela there is a bathroom and in the bathroom, directly above the toilet on the wall is a picture of a tree. On the frame around thet tree is an islamic quote:

"Allah is beautiful and He loves beauty".

Now I dont know much about islam, but apparently it is expressly forbidden to say the name of Allah or discuss the islam religion in the bathroom.

Someone with too much time on their hands, apparently after looking at every picture in the game (nearly 3 years after its release) found this quote and was offended by it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M6JIUn9bDU&hd=1

Was it a mere easter egg? Was it an intentional insult? Was it just bad placing? who knows... but until it can be removed through patches, one of the best maps of MW2 is on the sidelines.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
What's the big deal? No, I don't mean what's the big deal if there's a picture that offends people. I mean what's the big deal if you can't use a map for a few days until they patch it. If they had something that offended me plus a billion other people (literally, there are 1.6 billion Muslims), I would want it removed too.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What's the big deal? No, I don't mean what's the big deal if there's a picture that offends people. I mean what's the big deal if you can't use a map for a few days until they patch it. If they had something that offended me plus a billion other people (literally, there are 1.6 billion Muslims), I would want it removed too.

Plenty of things offend a billion people. But only Muslims get special treatment, and only because they're savages who riot and kill at the mere whiff of offense to their religion.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002

I dont recall saying it was a *BIG DEAL*... but I was bored and had nothing else to post about...

sorry for bringing you *little news* from the gaming community.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
I am not sure why you are so offended sao123. I thought the article was interesting and I wouldn't have seen it if you didn't post it.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
Plenty of things offend a billion people. But only Muslims get special treatment, and only because they're savages who riot and kill at the mere whiff of offense to their religion.

You said it. The world must be careful what they say about Muslims because they are the only people crazy enough to kill their own people over something like this. I think they should leave it. They dont have a problem killing people in the game but allah in the bathroom is the problem?

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Hmm. Jesus' face is like on playing cards, innappropriate bill boards, tattoos. This is why xmost americans have such a hard time u.derstanding the propbet muhammad thing

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Taking the Lord's name in vain is pretty much standard in people's vocabulary nowadays, with 100s of examples in most every game out. I demand restitution.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Did i miss something that map isnt in MW3

From the article, I was assuming it was in a DLC map pack or something...

We are urgently working to release a Title Update to remove the texture from Modern Warfare 3. We are also working to remove the texture from Modern Warfare 2 through a separate Title Update. Until the TU is ready, we have removed the Favella multiplayer map from online rotation.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
I am not sure why you are so offended sao123. I thought the article was interesting and I wouldn't have seen it if you didn't post it.

IDK, your opening line seemed directed at me...

sygyzy said:
What's the big deal? ... I mean what's the big deal if you can't use a map for a few days until they patch it. ...

reading it like that just screamed... "And we care why?"

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
It is utterly ridiculous that companies cave to stupid demands like this, especially given the content of the game in the first place. In case they haven't noticed, one of the ten commandments is "Thou shalt not kill." I don't see them saying, "Oh well, I guess we can't do that in the game then." Penny Arcade summed up this type of thing best.

Oct 20, 2005

Sao123, why is MW3 listed in the title? That map is only for MW2 and has nothing to do with MW3.

Unless you know something I don't.....

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000

My response was directed at you. I felt like your tone implied you were saying "Sigh, here we go catering to the crazy Muslims again about a really silly thing that offends them. What's the big deal? It's just a game"

I was arguing that the offense is a big deal [to them] and having one map removed from a game that is about to lose most of it's players in one month's time is not at all a "big deal"

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
My response was directed at you. I felt like your tone implied you were saying "Sigh, here we go catering to the crazy Muslims again about a really silly thing that offends them. What's the big deal? It's just a game"

I was arguing that the offense is a big deal [to them] and having one map removed from a game that is about to lose most of it's players in one month's time is not at all a "big deal"

Im fine with muslims and all religions alike being respected. My problem might be with how long it might take the studio to do a redesign.
Like if a few hour task ended up taking weeks or months, as opposed to a couple days.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Im fine with muslims and all religions alike being respected. My problem might be with how long it might take the studio to do a redesign.
Like if a few hour task ended up taking weeks or months, as opposed to a couple days.

Well, even if it gets patched "quickly" it has to pass the quality checks of the console makers before release. They're usually quicker to test big name games like this but it still takes time. On the dev side it should be a simple matter of overwriting the offensive quote with a new one.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I'm sure there are more than a billion people who are offended by violent video games like Modern Warfare, period. I'm sure, in fact, there are more than 4 billion who are offended by violence in media. I give precisely zero shits about their feelings.

As for Muslims, they can suck it. I have zero respect for any religion, and I hold Islam in a particularly high level of contempt and disgust.

Anti-woman, anti-gay, anti-free thought / free speech / anti-civilization. A mental plague upon our entire species. Particularly disgusting and threatening due to how much vigor it still has compared to other major religions (which have been whipped into submission by and large)

I actually consider deliberately offending Muslims to be one of the highest callings for any civilized person. Exposes them for who they are when they do crazy shit, and then that in turn can act as a justification for killing them, which is progress.

Mind you, I'm aware that not all Muslims are crazy/violent... just most of them. The ones who are equivalent to watered down Christians, and who can live peaceably and participate in civilization in a reasonable fashion, I have zero issues with.