Faulty PSU?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by eggcase, Dec 9, 2012.

1. eggcase

eggcase Junior Member

Hello all! I was hoping that someone here can help me. A friend of mine has been having some trouble with his video card and I'm not sure if its because of a faulty PSU or simply a video card problem.
    He says whenever he plays any game his display becomes corrupted with thick or slim static lines going across the screen. His monitor then turns black or blue then his PC freezes.
    When he restarts, the PC is able to successfully reboot, however the lines do not go away. Its only AFTER he does a system restore to a point when he didn't have any video card drivers installed is when his system works fine with no corruption on his monitor.
    However since he doesn't have any video card drivers he can't play any games.

He did uninstall his drivers (together with driver fusion in safe mode) reinstalled a fresh copy of the drivers but unfortunately the lines come back on his screen.
    I then asked him to take a screenshot of a utility called SIW so I can take a good look at his GPU temps (s17.postimage.org/7u1xq4oxr/temp.jpg). When he did that, I noticed his voltages on his rails being a bit high.
    Since I'm not an expert in this area I told him that I would post on here to find out more about his rails, so I was hoping someone here can take a look at the rails and please confirm if his rails are within tolerance range.

His system specs are also here:

Antec 902
    Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3
    i7-2600K Processor 3.4GHZ
    16GB system ram
    Radeon HD 6870
    Corsair CMPSU-750AX
    1 TB HARD DRIVE
    1 Flash Media Reader
    Onboard Sound
    Sceptre X226W

(friend typing, i just received this summary from my buddy, and was too lazy to rephrase)

2. TemjinGold

TemjinGold Platinum Member

I seriously doubt it's the PSU. Has he cleaned out his video card recently? Sounds like it's either overheating or failing.

3. eggcase

eggcase Junior Member

cleaned it thoroughly and the lines are still there, does that mean the voltages are fine?

4. eggcase

eggcase Junior Member

update:just tested the readings on hmonitor
    http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/997/temp2wm.jpg

... and the voltages look fine, meanwhile siw still shows the same readings.
    so which program should i go by? SIW or hmonitor?

i also noticed that the 'graphics adapters' show nothing. do hd 6870s usually have sensors? or is the card really dead?

5. Piotrsama

Piotrsama Senior member