Faulty Premise: What are some x79 boards that support Ivy Bridge Server 4-12 core overclocking?

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
What are some readily available x79 boards that support Ivy Bridge Server Chip 4-12 core overclocking?

Availability in the US required only. Ebay is fine.

I'm getting tired of waiting for Skylake HEDT and all this Zen talk is getting me hankering for an upgrade from my 3570k to MOAR COARS.

I also have an absolutely ridiculous number of 8 gB DDR3 1600 sticks laying around making the upgrade to Skylake HEDT an extremely painful one.

The board would have to also have at least 8x DDR3 slots as my 32 gB equipped 3570k is woefully lacking in ram for my use case.

EDIT: Upon searching it appears that my memory was indeed wrong and I have not been able to find anything of the sort (overclocking E5 2xxx v2 chips) that my memory cooked up.

Last edited:

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
Xeon E5 v2 can't be overclocked.
I seem to remember posts on this very forum saying that they can (or at least the ES/QS ones can)

EDIT: Upon searching it appears that my memory was indeed wrong and I have not been able to find anything of the sort (overclocking E5 2xxx v2 chips) that my memory cooked up.

Last edited:

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
Why not sell off your DDR3 sticks and go to a newer platform instead?
Massive hassle of dealing with 180 day Ebay returns policy as well as having to wait until Q4 for Skylake HEDT.

I would also probably be stuck with 6 core cuz the chances of Intel lowering the price on their 8 core and higher is laughably low.

They can but only single socket and these only go to 8 core. Plus they go for basically original price tag still.

+1 to this gentleman.
I'll have to dig up the thread again, but I coulda sworn I saw someone showing off their 12 core Ivy Bridge-EP overclock on here on one of the threads.

Last edited:

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
Massive hassle of dealing with 180 day Ebay returns policy as well as having to wait until Q4 for Skylake HEDT.

You could sell here in the FS forums (or some other computer enthusiast website?). Even if you were going to upgrade to Skylake HEDT, then what were you going to do with your 8GB DDR3 sticks?

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
You could sell here in the FS forums (or some other computer enthusiast website?). Even if you were going to upgrade to Skylake HEDT, then what were you going to do with your 8GB DDR3 sticks?

Based on my experience with Ebay so far, I'll end up "selling" them and have them all shipped back by Ebay return policy and I'll be out 2 way shipping and my time for zero dollars made.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Based on my experience with Ebay so far, I'll end up "selling" them and have them all shipped back by Ebay return policy and I'll be out 2 way shipping and my time for zero dollars made.

Better than that, they'll have returned some garbage broken Chinese RAM sticks instead...or have used yours for target practice in some crappy youtube video, sending you back the crumbs. "THEY WERE CLEARLY BROKEN WHEN I GOT THEM!"

Reactions: Drazick

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Better than that, they'll have returned some garbage broken Chinese RAM sticks instead...or have used yours for target practice in some crappy youtube video, sending you back the crumbs. "THEY WERE CLEARLY BROKEN WHEN I GOT THEM!"

Yeah i stopped selling on ebay years ago. to much BS.