faulty or weak psu?

kryten123

Aug 8, 2006
i'm trying to run this from my older antec neopower 480w psu, but it won't even post.
the cpu fan spins slowly and not everytime as well as the one other 120 case fan connected (slows down, stops, speeds up etc.), but the pc does not post and shuts itself down.

specs:

gigabyte ga-p965-ds3
core 2 duo e6400
2gb ocz gold gamer xtc pc6400
evga 7600gt ko
antec neopower 480w
sb audigy
(no hdd, dvd yet)
one 120 case fan

when sound card is out, and one stick of memory only , it posts fine, but the cpu fan still doesn't work, or spins a bit and stops later etc.

is that a faulty psu? i can't believe it wouldn't have enough power for this.

kryten123

Aug 8, 2006
it should have enough power, shouldnt' it?

before it was powering: dothan@2.4, 1gig ram, 2 hdd's, 1 dvd, sb platinum with box, 2x120 fan, g6800 and bunch of usb dev's....

kryten123

Aug 8, 2006
Just took it out and powered with it: AthlonXP 2000+, Asus A7N8X, 512RAM (2 sticks) Radeon LE, DVD, HDD, modem and measured voltages with a DMM.

idle in xp:
----------
on molex it reads 5.06V
on a spare P4 connector 12.26V

load (f@h & p95) after 1 hour, will continue testing
----------
on molex it reads 5.07V
on a spare P4 connector 12.24V

kryten123

Aug 8, 2006
I just risked it and bought OCZ GameXStream 600W and the result is EXACTLY SAME problem. So therefore I'm condluding it's something screwed up with the mobo and it's apparently not distributing power properly to other components. Tomorrow morning I will try to get a replacement and hopefully return that ocz. Wish me luck!!!

Even with the Ocz, I can only post with one stick of ram at a time, and cpu fan does not even spin, vga and psu fans spin, but they speed up and slow down and eventually die.

When I power up, it is like it doesn't want to start, but than painfully starts. (the fan spins slowly, then faster, than slower and then finally full speed) This When I measured voltages with DMM on Antec on this rig it slowly climbes from about 2.3V to 5V on molex as those fans are struggling to power up. Exact same with Ocz. Don't want to try messing with this anymore like it is now, as it cannot be good for other components.

I tried all combinations of ram positions, measured voltages, currently everything is outside the case, trying to post with just mobo, cpu, 1 stick of ram and video card.

I'm lost now...