Faulty DVD-RW drives

MJoshi

Mar 6, 2003
I have a couple of SATA DVD-RW drives in my computer. I suspect that one of them may be faulty as it doesn't read certain disks but the other drive does. It also seems to take a very long time to burn a CD.

Drive makes and models are:

LiteOn iHAS524
Sony Optiarc AD-7261S

Is there some software I can use to test the drives?

Thanks.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Try cleaning the drive using a lens cleaner disk.

Burning software, such as NERO, typically features a test/calibration mode/option.

Also check the drive's properties in Device Manager to see that it is status-ed as working properly.

MJoshi

Mar 6, 2003
Do conventional CD lens cleaners also clean the write as well as read laser? I have one with small brushes attached to the underside of a CD.

Also, the version of Nero that I use 'Nero Express Essentials 8' doesn't appear to have a test option.

There are no errors for either drive under Device Manager.

Thanks.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Yes. Even drives with different tracks and lasers (probably uncommon, now) don't move the assembly up or down, just outwards and inwards.

bonehead123

Nov 6, 2013
Neither of those drives are known for their super long term durability. I've had many of them last 1-2 years at best, but those were OEM versions that came preinstalled in off the shelf machines. OTOH, I have bought several aftermarket models of both brands & had them last for many more years...so YMMV.......

FWIW, I have a Sony IDE-CDRW that came in a G3 Mac tower in '99 that still works just fine, albeit a tad slow by today's standards :D