FatWallet is shutting down Monday, Oct 9th

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Funny how sites rise and fall. I read somewhere the other day where the writer claimed Tesla will eternally be the electric car market leader as a "first mover". Defended that by saying that's why Facebook will never be dethroned - because being first is an almost unbeatable advantage.

The writer had never heard of MySpace.

Reactions: Sonikku

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
So sad to hear this. It would be great if someone could save the finance forum. The real estate and credit threads were awesome.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Funny how sites rise and fall. I read somewhere the other day where the writer claimed Tesla will eternally be the electric car market leader as a "first mover". Defended that by saying that's why Facebook will never be dethroned - because being first is an almost unbeatable advantage.

To be fair, FB really dug themselves deep into the ecosystem. Myspace was kind of 'floaty' with no ties to your identity. It was easy for members to simply to move on.

FB's core activity is sharing your real identity, pictures, revisiting memories & said pictures, and interacting with one another.

I'd be surprised to see FB fall anytime soon.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
seemed like it was pretty dead the last few years. techbargains seems pretty dead too. only slickdeals really remains, and, as mentioned above, even that one is often just paid advertising (pro tip: go into the forums instead of staying on the front page).

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
I got the email just now.
Shutting down October 9. Sad to see it go.

I liked the people on the forums much better than Slickdeals. It doesn't take many but few well placed jackasses drive away people from asking questions or participating on Slickdeals.

Also, their running programs of reprogramming browser cookies and caches to spoof sites into thinking people were in selective buying programs - and then list these workarounds as a deal, was pretty shady IMO.

But sorry to see FW go. It was where I first learned about price matching from stores outside your area.

Last edited:

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004

in related news, AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) is shutting down dec 15

(of course ICQ continues chugging along)

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Yeah, Slickdeals pretty much took all of their traffic away. FatWallet turned from a deal forum to a money machine.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Here is the email:

It's never easy to say goodbye.
tExPznzIJfGFkDHextYcNKkcoH4WTNaS-k99mBheWUtkh-fxC1VMdbHBpxc1pdWLKlheYJ4v0sAzKRR3jq9hMWr1X98=s0-d-e1-ft

Thank you for shopping FatWallet. With sadness, we must inform you that we will be closing our site on Monday October 9th. For over 17 years, it has been our absolute pleasure to help millions of deal hunters like you save money, and we're grateful for your business. While the FatWallet site won't be around anymore, we'll still be helping you find discounts and earn cash back on things you buy every day at our sister site, Ebates.com. It's free to join, so check it out — we know you'll love it.

Please immediately request payment for your remaining Cash Back balance. FatWallet's Cash Back program ended May 10, 2016. In accordance with our Terms & Conditions maintenance fees began on June 1, 2017 for any Cash Back balance remaining in an inactive account. If you have not requested payment, FatWallet will deduct an account maintenance fee of $2.00 a month until you have requested payment or your account balance is zero.
tExPznzIJfGFkDHextYcNKkcoH4WTNaS-k99mBheWUtkh-fxC1VMdbHBpxc1pdWLKlheYJ4v0sAzKRR3jq9hMWr1X98=s0-d-e1-ft

Thanks again for your support. We wish you all the best.

LotcWZa8pWFlCeF3-E7GEuIsI7j62GJJ5r-3gErYf65kn78KHy0l1Qphylep2l4lqcaI2DBGRYvd26ujewp8wRSI58u85udGlnwKA0QmO17Nh6xLeQC6_6tKgwLQIpA3V48Cw6-zKrGsAhQ=s0-d-e1-ft

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Adios FW, another one bites the dust.

Who else is left besides SD?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
How did I miss this thread, or the news? I used to love getting their "schwag", got three t-shirts, a stuffed pirahna, a sharpie, and a custom flash drive.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Question is how did you come across this now? were you browsing old threads? or did you hear the news and searched ATOT for a related thread?