Fastest processor you've ever seen with no heatsink/fan?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
What if the IHS were a thinner, pure copper unit? Then wouldn't it help spread the heat even to the heatsink base? With today's 12 heatpipe coolers 6 running on each side I suppose it would be good to spread the heat as evenly as possible to the heatsink base.

i think the IHS is plated copper. my guess is, it's plated for a reason.

if you did a thermal circuit to describe all of the various thermal elements from the CPU to the ambient air, the thermal resistance of the plating would be one of the smallest gradients/ thermal resistance'. one of the biggest gradients would be the transition from the heat sink fins to air. (the harder the fan blows, the lower that temperature difference, between air & heatsink).

Cattykit

Nov 3, 2009
Those old Slot A and Slot 1 CPU's actually had heatspreaders that the fan would attach to didn't they.

Yes, they did and most CPUs have heatsinks on top of its cores (Except some AMD cpus that had expsed core.) You know, those square plates you see on Core2, i7 are in fact attached heatsinks.

Knavish

May 17, 2002
TI OMAP processor with an ARM core at 600MHz...

Yup I've got one of these on my desk at work right now: (Beagleboard. I guarantee it'll knock the socks off any x86 chip that runs without a heatsink. I guess anyone with an iphone has used one, but most iphone users can't actually claim to have *seen* it.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Yes, they did and most CPUs have heatsinks on top of its cores (Except some AMD cpus that had expsed core.) You know, those square plates you see on Core2, i7 are in fact attached heatsinks.

The Katmai P3s and later-model P2 Slot 1 processors had no heatsinks like the earlier Slot 1 processors did. Interestingly, the Slot 1 Celerons did not have an integrated heatsink, but there WAS an IHS over the die. For whatever reason, Intel dropped the IHS for the Katmai and Coppermine, and didn't go back to it until Willamette and Tualatin.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Slot Athlon 550mhz - parent's machine, HSF had fallen off, and computer appeared to be working normally, although I doubt it did much more than Word and IE.

I can slightly one-up that, with a Slot Athlon 750, that ran for over two weeks with the HSF dangling in the case. I can't say exactly how long it ran like that, but it was 2-3 weeks since noticing odd noises before I opened it up to see the fan making the heatsink swing back and forth, hitting bits of the video card, and some mobo ICs. The heatsink re-attached just fine, and it kept on going. Similar load, though, save for Flash running a fair bit.