Farm raised salmon vs wild salmon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: F22 Raptor
I recently read a study were it was determined that like 95% of all "wild" salmon that you would find at the grocery store, was in fact farm raised.

Looking for it now.
I read the same article.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Check out Made To Order on Fine Living. They did a taste test battle. I think wild won.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Baked
Yes, the one that's more expensive tastes better. It's called placebo.

You know nothing about salmon. Nothing at all. Have you ever actually EATEN one?

Funny, when I eat at a real restaurant, it tastes better than McDonalds...must be my brain trying to trick me into thinking it was worth the extra $$!

j00fek

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2005
wild salmon will alwayse win, farm raised anything is sh!t. their all fed grose pellets and taste just like em.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
yes... farm raised tastes better, imo, but it's NOT NEARLY as good for you. it tastes fishier, also.

wild samon has bones in it, too. really frigging annoying.

edit: after reading all these posts praising wild salmon, maybe i'll try it again from someplace else. i'm wondering if the wild salmon i bought was bad or something because it was actually DARKER than the farm-raised salmon and it tasted fishier than the farm-raised salmon. it did, however, hold it's form better than farm salmon.... probably because of all the goddamn bones it had... i had to eat it with my frigging hands after a little bit because i couldn't pick out the bones with my fork.

JackRyan

Aug 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Tiamat
YES. Huge difference between Alaskan wild salman and North Atlantic farm raised salmon. Taste and texture. I have had both cooked the same way from Atlantic fish co. It is worth the typical 10$ difference in price.

May 31, 2001
I get all of my salmon from friends that go fishing, or go catch it myself.

A friend of mine that works in seafood said that they actually have customers that believe the companies inject mercury into the farm raised salmon.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: eits
yes... farm raised tastes better, imo, but it's NOT NEARLY as good for you. it tastes fishier, also.

edit: after reading all these posts praising wild salmon, maybe i'll try it again from someplace else. i'm wondering if the wild salmon i bought was bad or something because it was actually DARKER than the farm-raised salmon and it tasted fishier than the farm-raised salmon. it did, however, hold it's form better than farm salmon.... probably because of all the goddamn bones it had... i had to eat it with my frigging hands after a little bit because i couldn't pick out the bones with my fork.

Salmon only tastes fishy when it isn't fresh, and this goes for farm or wild.

Also, you should pick out the bones before you cook it. When they're cooked they're likely too soft to pull out without breaking. They pull right out if you can grip it with your hands, pliers, or whatever else you might have handy.

Fresh salmon + properly preparing it == great meal.

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: compnovice
Absolutley... you dont get the sweet taste of mercury and arsenic in farm raised salmon... :p

Considering that salmon farms are floating cages, I don't see how you'd get any less mercury and arsenic.

JinLien

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2005
Originally posted by: loup garou
Wild salmon please!
Barkley Sound is one of the better place to fish on Vancouver Island.

Cleck out the largest eagle in the native reserve in Bamfield. The huge nest existed over a 100 years ago and was painted by Emily Carr. It is large enought to park 2 cars side by side.

Another place to get big fish in BC is the Skeena river Terrace. My GF & I was there watching when they hoist the monster, 92.5 lbs king of salmon onto the scale.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Descartes
Where is Amused to say it's all a scam?

Why would I say it's a scam? I have no doubt that wild game tastes different than farm raised game. Especially fish.

This has nothing to do with "organic" labeling.

Go find another tree to bark up.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
only good thing about farm fish is to stock a pond for sport fishing or such.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Baked
Yes, the one that's more expensive tastes better. It's called placebo.

Bose is selling salmon?

Or was it the Monster salmon with oxygen free litz eyeballs?

:laugh:

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: eits

All fish have bones, except jellyfish :p A nice large king salmon fillet won't have many bones though.

Wild salmon has a nice deeper color, King Salmon most of all I think.

NO fish of any kind should smell fishy if it is fresh. Smell your fish before you buy it, if it's fishy, don't buy it.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Go to a fish market and ask to see the difference. You can really tell from the color of the meat. (don't go to Walmart's seafood section and buy there....either way it will taste like carp....I mean crap)