Farm raised salmon vs wild salmon

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Yes. Wild salmon FTW.

Note: this is only eaten raw (i prep my own sashimi... don't need to pay $12 for 5 pieces, lol). I couldn't tell you if there's a difference once you cook them.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
YES. Huge difference between Alaskan wild salman and North Atlantic farm raised salmon. Taste and texture. I have had both cooked the same way from Atlantic fish co. It is worth the typical 10$ difference in price.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
funny you post this, i came across this qoute today;

"This makes Mitch a little crazy. "Farm fish look beautiful, but they don't taste like fish," he complains. "They taste like nothing.""

link

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal
Originally posted by: JEDI
Any diff in taste?

It's like eating organic food compared to regular run of the mill...just no comparison.

Organic food doesn't taste much different to me. Just a gimmick for people with too much money :p (ah kidding on the last part :))

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Nothing beats fresh wild Alaskan Salmon. I caught a bunch last month and it's amazing.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
farm raised salmon is usually milky white in color, its only pink because of food coloring.

That being said I rarely get wild salmon because its so damn expensive.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: eLiu
Yes. Wild salmon FTW.

Note: this is only eaten raw (i prep my own sashimi... don't need to pay $12 for 5 pieces, lol). I couldn't tell you if there's a difference once you cook them.

How much is the sashimi-grade meat though? I've been meaning to learn how to roll 'em

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: everman
Nothing beats fresh wild Alaskan Salmon. I caught a bunch last month and it's amazing.

I can have it whenever I want. *grabs fishing pole* :D

Wild is waaayyyy better. And better for you. The wild salmon have a higher concentration of omega fatty acids.

compnovice

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2005
Absolutley... you dont get the sweet taste of mercury and arsenic in farm raised salmon... :p

tw1164

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Originally posted by: everman

I can have it whenever I want. *grabs fishing pole* :D

Wild is waaayyyy better. And better for you. The wild salmon have a higher concentration of omega fatty acids.

Yep, farm raised salmon contain higher level of toxic substance PCBs than wild salmon.

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006
They did a study on farm raised salmon and the conclusion was, eat it if you want to die early

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by: eLiu
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal
Originally posted by: JEDI
Any diff in taste?

It's like eating organic food compared to regular run of the mill...just no comparison.

Organic food doesn't taste much different to me. Just a gimmick for people with too much money :p (ah kidding on the last part :))

Actually I thought that too, that was until Nicki and I got together. She ate nothing but organic and drank organic milk. I never realized how much of a difference organic milk tastes over regular milk. Regular milk from what i've tasted has a higher sugar content than that of Organic. To this day I buy nothing but organic (minus organic bananas as they go bad very quickly) I agree it's more expensive but i'd rather taste the food rather than the additives :)

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
As a salmon lover, I'd have to say it depends. I've had wild copper river salmon from this season that wasn't fatty at all, and I seriously would have preferred a fatty farm raised salmon. However, in general, wild salmon >>>>>>>>> farm raised. The fattiness of wild salmon is amazing.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
I recently read a study were it was determined that like 95% of all "wild" salmon that you would find at the grocery store, was in fact farm raised.

Looking for it now.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
hellz yeah. Wild salmon way better.

F22 I read articles about that too. Some supermarkets take farm raised salmon and inject it with some food coloring to look more red and sell it as wild for higher price. But a few trusted markets like Whole Foods work best. And I can seriously taste the difference between wild and farm raised, and see the difference.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Yes, the one that's more expensive tastes better. It's called placebo.

m2kewl

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2001
funny, i just bought a $28 packet of wild salmon from costco.

hhhmmmmmmmmmmm.........

JinLien

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2005

A fisherman once told me that "friend do not let friend eat farm fish".

Farmfish taste terrible, it is mushy, fatty/oil, flavorless, stinky, and the flesh doesn't have very good texture.

Wild salmon shouldn't have strong fishy odor like farm fish with brighter flesh & scales colour. The flesh also hold its shape when cook instead of turn into mush, and the flesh also is drier than farm salmon.