Farewell Ron Paul

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
As a baby boomer American we have been brought up to believe the Republican party is about money and keeping the rich rich, and the Democrats are for the working class.

Now based on that and the views Ron Paul expresses, he doesn't sound like a Republican...

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: Lemon law

DasFox, thats totally absurd, Ron Paul is a classic small government type and dems are for big government solving problems.

Of course the modern Reagan Republican outspends the dems while pretending to be fiscally responsible. Perhaps thats the root of your delusion.

*sigh* I want my party back :(

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Originally posted by: DasFox
I don't get why Ron Paul ran as a Republican, his views seem to be more Democratic, at least in his speech to the people of what he is expressing is more of a Democrat view of, 'For the People'

DasFox, thats totally absurd, Ron Paul is a classic small government type and dems are for big government solving problems.

Of course the modern Reagan Republican outspends the dems while pretending to be fiscally responsible. Perhaps thats the root of your delusion.

In the America I have grown up and seen the Democrats have always been the white collar workers, for the working class, and the Republicans for the blue collar upper class.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
RP knows he is NOT going to win.

However, his presence in the race will allow him to have more of a role in the party platform (assuming he wins any delegates of course).

You guys do know this right...?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: rpanic
There is no conservative party it is dead, what a shame. I hope whoever wins doesn?t make things worse.

No, but there are still Conservatives. And a lot of them.

They must be in hiding or something. Because if you mean "conservative" the way I think you mean it, they've certainly been shouted down by the new age conservatives for quite a while now.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Rainsford
They must be in hiding or something. Because if you mean "conservative" the way I think you mean it, they've certainly been shouted down by the new age conservatives for quite a while now.

IIRC somewhere around 40% of Republicans identify themselves as strong Conservatives/Conservatives. So clearly, McCain manages to hold on as moderates and liberals are the majority. That doesn't mean the 40% are silent. Far from it.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Rainsford

IIRC somewhere around 40% of Republicans identify themselves as strong Conservatives/Conservatives. So clearly, McCain manages to hold on as moderates and liberals are the majority. That doesn't mean the 40% are silent. Far from it.

Yeah, I would "identify myself" as a conservative instead of a spend happy pappy if I want to get elected.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
I swear to god I can't wait until he stops running... Then all of his annoying supporters will shut the fvck up.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think Ron Paul has about as much chance of winning the Presidency as George Washington would, reborn with all his faculties and knowledge, except without his name.

He too would be just another nut case.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: rpanic
This morning my wife and I took off our Ron Paul bumper stickers. He said he wasn?t going to run as an independent so there is no reason to keep going.

I don?t think most people could handle the bitter pills of truth that he wanted everyone to swallow; most in this country want something and thinks it comes from nothing. He was the only candidate that did not pander for votes and I think he is the only one that believed in what he was saying. At least he brought up a lot of things that were missing from the other candidates and I thank him for that.

There is no conservative party it is dead, what a shame. I hope whoever wins doesn?t make things worse.

I hope you don't give up. This is something that is much bigger than the presidency of the United States. The county has gone to shit but it is still our country and so it's worth fighting for. I say continue on as Ron Paul continued on over the past 30 years. That is filled with hope and enthusiasm. The currency hasn't been destroyed yet and there is still hope that we can recover before the point of no return.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
I think Ron Paul has about as much chance of winning the Presidency as George Washington would, reborn with all his faculties and knowledge, except without his name.

He too would be just another nut case.

Well said. I'd give my left hand for the "conservatives" to see themselves as they really are for just one day.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Tab
I swear to god I can't wait until he stops running... Then all of his annoying supporters will shut the fvck up.

Dream on. Paul will be circulating the interwebs for decades to come. (Unfortunately.)

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

Dream on. Paul will be circulating the interwebs for decades to come. (Unfortunately.)

Damn right. :cool:

And we'll bitch and bitch about all the problems that go unsolved. :D

Uh oh, war on drugs? Aww, shoulda voted for Paul!
Uh oh, invasion of Iran? Aww, shoulda voted for Paul!
Uh oh, deficits piling up? Aww, shoulda voted for Paul!

:p

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Originally posted by: bamacre

Damn right. :cool:

And we'll bitch and bitch about all the problems that go unsolved. :D

Uh oh, war on drugs? Aww, shoulda voted for Paul!
Uh oh, invasion of Iran? Aww, shoulda voted for Paul!
Uh oh, deficits piling up? Aww, shoulda voted for Paul!

:p

Return of Jim Crow? Aww, shoulda voted for Paul!
Want state theocracies? Aww, shoulda voted for Paul!
Want Radium Drinking Water? Aww, shoulda voted for Paul!