FarCry 4 and the death of the dual core CPUs in gaming

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Is there even a game that can drop below 60 fps solely cause ht is enabled?Myself as a i7 owner pretty much bought my i7 for 8 threads in gaming.I would pretty much feel retarded the day i have to disable ht cause one random game in my entire library went bats**t crazy cause of the ht.

I guess a alternative for a few crazy people who want more then 4 threads without ht possibly crapping up your style could just grab a 6 core Intel chip and disable ht....but that does sound stupid but almost like a good idea at the same time too.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
I'm with all the others that are saying you ought to upgrade. I'm not sure on the technical reasons behind this move, maybe it simply comes down to performance, either way this is a brand new AAA game and for all its faults it still offers up a AAA experience and that requires a reasonable PC. We've had Quad cores for a very long time and we shouldn't be afraid of pushing out the old to bring in the new.

You can't easily lower CPU overhead like you can graphics options which means you have to be selective which performance range you target your game for as you can alienate old hardware easily, GTA IV did this which only really performed well on quad cores, I think it's a good thing.

If you want 8 year hardware cycles get a console, here on the PC we're close to doubling every 18-24 months and the rest of us don't like being held back by the cheapskates, it's what keeps the industry moving forward.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
I haven't yet found a good balance of settings on my 7850....any recommendations?
In general:
-Turn off shadows.
-Turn off reflections.
-Turn off lighting effects.

I don't even know why they bother putting those in games. If you had a high end computer when Doom 3 came out, you couldn't turn on shadows without making the game laggy as hell. Neverwinter Nights couldn't run smoothly on the hardware available if shadows were turned on. Same with Fallout 3. Same with.... every game ever made. Are they counting on strong sales 2 or 3 years after the game comes out? I guess it's nice that games have future replay value. You get a new video card and start wondering what your old games look like with all the settings turned up.

On that note, FC4 will look amazing in 5 years when it's actually possible to see what the game is supposed to look like.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
In general:
-Turn off shadows.
-Turn off reflections.
-Turn off lighting effects.

I don't even know why they bother putting those in games.
If you had a high end computer when Doom 3 came out, you couldn't turn on shadows without making the game laggy as hell. Neverwinter Nights couldn't run smoothly on the hardware available if shadows were turned on. Same with Fallout 3. Same with.... every game ever made. Are they counting on strong sales 2 or 3 years after the game comes out? I guess it's nice that games have future replay value. You get a new video card and start wondering what your old games look like with all the settings turned up.

On that note, FC4 will look amazing in 5 years when it's actually possible to see what the game is supposed to look like.

they put lighting and shadows in games because it looks good, any decent gaming pc can handle lighting and shadow fx

ubisoft just sucks at making games that run well

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
*shrug* FC4 has been running perfectly well for me with the default NVIDIA quality preset (w/o motion blur and TXAAx2) on a slightly overclocked 780 (+150 core, +350 RAM) using 344.75 drivers.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
I don't even know why they bother putting those in games.

Lets not pretend you cannot run it in max already. My single 980 runs the game maxed out and it looks great, it might not be the most optimised game in the world but as a customer I appreciate the work done to provide high end graphics and I'm willing to pay for it.

Only thing I have disabled is montion blur, and that's a preference not an issue with frame rate, running at 1080p. Looking at +20% frame rate boost if I overclock my card or if I decide to throw in a 2nd/3rd/4th 980 in future.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Guess this means single core is out too. Probably doesn't deserve a thread though
That death was attributed to performance being too low, not games being locked out from launching.

With Far Cry 4 we had:

• Cracked versions already worked on dual-core.
  • The latest official patch fixes it.
  • Intel dual-core processors are faster than many quad-core AMD parts which could already launch the game.
Basically there was no good reason for the initial scenario we had. That's why it was thread-worthy.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
They have a way to return to Shangri La with the blue icons on the map as we know, but no similar way to go back to the Himalayas. But you can return to the Himalayas if you have a save game at either of the two Himalayas missions. I'm doing that and it seems to work fine.

To do that I made a backup of my current save game which is further in the story than the Himalayas missions. Then I had to replay the game from the start to get to the beginning of a Himalayas mission which was a hassle and took hours. Then I exited the game and made a backup of that save game. I continued in the game to the start of the next of the two Himalayas missions, exited and backed up that save. So now I can switch back and forth between my current game save and the two Himalayas saves.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Yes I do :) . I don't walk around talking or surfing so a $35 phone and $3 a month cell plan lets me send another ~$80 a month off to my brokerage account. Or buy that fancy dijon ketchup.

I also have a quad-core i5, but like I posted earlier using X cores instead of Y amount of CPU power (cores * clock * IPC) is lazy requirement-setting for a game.
lol Glad to know I'm not the only flip phone user out there. Sometimes I feel like a dinosaur.

BSim's chart proved it, and Exar said it perfectly: "It is absurd and lazy. Period."

The good news is that I already have an i5-2500k. The better news is that when I get around to buying a 4GB VRAM graphics card, this game will be cheeeep. The bad news is that this is the wave of the future, porting to PC as lazily as possible.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
lol Glad to know I'm not the only flip phone user out there. Sometimes I feel like a dinosaur.

BSim's chart proved it, and Exar said it perfectly: "It is absurd and lazy. Period."

The good news is that I already have an i5-2500k. The better news is that when I get around to buying a 4GB VRAM graphics card, this game will be cheeeep. The bad news is that this is the wave of the future, porting to PC as lazily as possible.

By the time you get a 4GB vRAM card you'll need an 8GB vRAM card with a 5820K minimum for these ports . . . . . :awe:

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
I'm with all the others that are saying you ought to upgrade. I'm not sure on the technical reasons behind this move, maybe it simply comes down to performance, either way this is a brand new AAA game and for all its faults it still offers up a AAA experience and that requires a reasonable PC. We've had Quad cores for a very long time and we shouldn't be afraid of pushing out the old to bring in the new.

You can't easily lower CPU overhead like you can graphics options which means you have to be selective which performance range you target your game for as you can alienate old hardware easily, GTA IV did this which only really performed well on quad cores, I think it's a good thing.

If you want 8 year hardware cycles get a console, here on the PC we're close to doubling every 18-24 months and the rest of us don't like being held back by the cheapskates, it's what keeps the industry moving forward.
You'd have a good point in this thread if it weren't for the fact a fast clocked Haswell dual core dukes it out in multi-thread tasks with AMD's quad cores, and destroys anything AMD has in single-thread tasks.

Not downplaying the benefits of a quad core (Intel's quad cores are great), but in this particular game, it is likely nothing more than an artificial limitation, most likely to eliminate tech support calls from those running Athlon 2xs or C2Ds.

Last edited: