Far Cry 4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
What other games are like Far Cry 3 and 4? Is JUST CAUSE anything like them?

Personally, I think Just Cause games are pretty similar in gameplay, albeit with completely different story lines, weapons, and vehicles. I just finished off JC3's story and will be going back to try and unlock all the vehicles/mods/weapons now. If you finish off Far Cry 4 or just want something to alternate between, JC3 is worth it IMO.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
What other games are like Far Cry 3 and 4? Is JUST CAUSE anything like them?

Personally, I think Just Cause games are pretty similar in gameplay, albeit with completely different story lines, weapons, and vehicles. I just finished off JC3's story and will be going back to try and unlock all the vehicles/mods/weapons now. If you finish off Far Cry 4 or just want something to alternate between, JC3 is worth it IMO.

Eh, I would say they're different. Different enough to like one and not the other depending on what you liked about them. They're both open world jungles but the mechanics are very different.

FC games being FPS games first have good shooting mechanics. It's easy to be accurate and feel like you're in total control of your weapon. In JC3 the shooting mechanics aren't great. They're not the star of the show here, and they can be serviceable just not as good. There's also no stealth in JC3, so if you liked sneaking around and taking people out in FC you won't find that here.

The draw with JC3 is the grappling hook/parachute travel (which is quite fun) and using lots of explosives to cause a bunch of damage. The name of the game in JC3 is heavy firepower and moving quickly with the grapple hook, which is entirely different from how things are done in FarCry. I spend so little time on the ground in JC3. I'm always zipping from building to building, or raining down destruction from the parachute.

The common elements they both have come from the open world. Each one has outposts or bases you need to conquer. In FC you have to eliminate everyone, in JC you have to destroy all the important structures. If you're the type to like taking over areas of an open map, you'll be happy with both. It's just different how you get there between the two.

Basically FC focuses on taking down people, so the shooting is precise and you get the feeling of an assassin. JC focuses on taking down buildings/vehicles. You'll take down people along the way, but your goal is to essentially be a human bomber laying waste to whole areas with everything you have. Both fun, but they're different.

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
I've never played any of the Grand Theft Auto games, so I know NOTHING about them. Are they open world like Far Cry?

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Yea, you likely would enjoy a playthrough. I paid full price and felt like it was money well spent.

1) The production value/quality is pretty insane. While it may not be as ambitious as say, star citizen, they still spent several hundred million on it.

2) The single player story is actually pretty good, and very entertaining. I often felt like I was watching an episode of Entourage or some 'Friday' spinoff.

3) PC can do both fps and 3ps and it does so pretty gracefully.

4) It's completely open world. You can do w/e you want.

5) It runs very, very well imho.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I would say if anything the GTA games are more open world than the Far Cry games. I haven't played one since Vice City though. I don't really care that much for third person games so I never really got into GTA as much. I keep thinking I should give one of the newer titles a shot, especially if first person is an option now.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I suppose you could also put The Witcher 3 into an open world game similar to Far Cry. There is a ton of stuff to do in that game as well apart from the story line. I didn't really care for it all that much personally (but I am an exception I think), but it fits the mold for sure.

Whitestar127

Dec 2, 2011
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I recently re-installed this game and I'm experiencing frame rate stutter every 2-5 seconds or so. Have any of you recently played it and been able to get rid of the stutter? When it happens the fps goes down into the mid 50s or so (playing at v-synced 60Hz). It's quite bothersome.

I'll try this when I get home: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/c...tutter_in_far_cry_4_everyone/#bottom-comments. Any of you tried that and had success?