Far Cry 4

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
First, I searched Far Cry 4, Farcry 4, and Far Cry and nothing came up, I must SUCK at thread searching cause nothing never does...

I am playing this game and really enjoying it, it is a HUGE game!

All the missions, hunting, spontaneous attacks by man and animal, very cool.

Anyone else enjoying this game?

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I played it last year and loved it.

I you never played FC3, it is essentially the same game in a different setting and is fun as well.

I never had much luck searching here either, but I usually end up with like 1,000 matches as opposed to none although nothing has any relevance to what I was looking for.

Last edited:

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
FC3 and FC4 were both outstanding imo. FC3:Blood Dragon is also a great spinoff with a similar formula but some different balancing. Very much looking forward to FarCry Primal.

Also while you play 4 there's a ton of stuff to collect that's purely optional but I would definitely recommend hunting down all the pieces of the 'tapestry' or whatever it's called - the additional missions that take place (
in Shangri La
) are pretty awesome.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I finished Far Cry 4 recently. When I say finished, I mean I beat the story campaign. There is still a lot of towers and outposts to liberate and tons and tons of side missions to complete, but after the story campaign is finished I feel like to continue playing is pointless, like I'm just wandering around doing pointless stuff. I still have fortresses to conquer actually, but meh, they are fine just like they are.
Its a great game and I enjoyed it like I did Far Cry 3, but this time around I had to force myself to finish the story missions.

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
I finished Far Cry 4 recently. When I say finished, I mean I beat the story campaign. There is still a lot of towers and outposts to liberate and tons and tons of side missions to complete, but after the story campaign is finished I feel like to continue playing is pointless, like I'm just wandering around doing pointless stuff. I still have fortresses to conquer actually, but meh, they are fine just like they are.
Its a great game and I enjoyed it like I did Far Cry 3, but this time around I had to force myself to finish the story missions.

I'm not really following any order, just doing what is close in proximity to me, I want to try to do everything on the map as I have never done that in a game before, not even Assassin's Creed...

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I guess the one thing I didn't like in FC4 was you really have to grind to get some of the better weapons. I don't think that was so much the case in FC3.

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
I wouldn't say it's so much a grind. To unlock a gun your need to clear 14 towers or some such. Not TOO grindy. I had a lot of fun unlocking the stuff. But to each their own.

Far Cry 4 was probably my most played game last year. I'd finish, start play something else, and then show a friend how awesome FC4 was, then get hooked again. It was worse once the Durgesh Prison DLC was released, because it was maddening, but insanely fun, too! Finally got around to playing Valley of the Yeti, and it 's also really great. Don't hesitate to get the season pass. It's a good value.

All of it is very re-playable, IMO.

I'm also pumped for Primal. FC3 and FC4 and their DLC were all top notch.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
yea, really enjoyed both FC3 and FC4. One thing that sticks out in my mind was how well done the voice acting was in FC3. Gotta replay that

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I guess the one thing I didn't like in FC4 was you really have to grind to get some of the better weapons. I don't think that was so much the case in FC3.

The only one that I felt was grindy (which I define as doing something I normally wouldn't do repeatedly JUST to get that reward) is the AR that required getting through so many rounds in the arena (or something like that). Luckily there was also a FC4 mobile game that counted towards this, so you link to your ubisoft account and your progress is tracked there. Still, it's something I wouldn't have done so much if I didn't want that gun so that was a "grind". It wasn't so bad though.

I liked the game overall, but felt like the weapons weren't well balanced. There's a lot of weapons in the game, but I only used like 10 total because you can get the top ones so easily you skip over the vast majority of the other ones. And there's rarely a downside to the top guns, so there's no reason to try the other ones.

Hinda65

Jun 19, 2010
only thing I hated about FC4 was the crappy SLI support,,,maybe that's been fixed? Great game though...I loved the DLC too. Escape from dugresh prison is kinda different...there are no saves, you unlock weapons and perks as you make your way to the extraction point...if you die, you start over. I think some of your weapons carry over if you die???

The yeti dlc is typical far cry gameplay with a few added mini games ... check it out too

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
only thing I hated about FC4 was the crappy SLI support,,,maybe that's been fixed? Great game though...I loved the DLC too. Escape from dugresh prison is kinda different...there are no saves, you unlock weapons and perks as you make your way to the extraction point...if you die, you start over. I think some of your weapons carry over if you die???

The yeti dlc is typical far cry gameplay with a few added mini games ... check it out too

Sounds like I should get the season pass...

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
yeah once you get the buzzsaw, game is cake :p

Co Op is awesome on it... though I wish it progressed the game a bit more...

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
yeah once you get the buzzsaw, game is cake :p

Co Op is awesome on it... though I wish it progressed the game a bit more...

Working with a friend in co-op to take down outposts is a blast, especially if with a stealth approach. We would alternate playing the "spotter" role with a silenced sniper and the other would sneak in for close quarters takedowns.

It's really satisfying to clear an entire outpost without ever triggering an alarm or even being seen. The game reminds me a bit of the original Crysis, where you can choose various approaches to combat based on what you enjoy.

I think it's much better than FC3, with a far more involved story.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
The outpost missions were by far the high point of both FC3 and FC4 for me. Even after I was finished with the game I would go back and try to get a perfect score on some of the harder ones. I was shocked to see that I put in over 100 hours in each of those games and I have only played through them one time. That's pretty good value right there.

Hinda65

Jun 19, 2010
Ya ... the fortresses were good fun...Doesn't all hell brake loose, choppers and shit, if you get noticed? I think I stealthed all of them and THAT was very challenging.

Wait till you open up the fight arena...those were a blast.

Last edited:

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
yeah the Shangri La missions were really annoying.. to me those were the "grinding" missions... But I really wished the devs made a game with Co-Op in mind from the ground up... like back in the good ol' days... and we can save our "Co-Op" progress together, which would require both players to be online to continue the co-op missions... or just have 2 characters to begin with (in the story) and one can just take control of them if they join... When nobody is there, the it's the AI.

thehotsung8701A

May 18, 2015
It definitely better than Far Cry 3. Far Cry 3 was a bunch of spoil rich white college age adult and sh-room. This game has a more mature theme. Also the setting and locale in this game is much more beautiful.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
This thread got me wanting to play some more Far Cry while waiting for the new one to come out. I fired up FC3 since it has been awhile since playing and it is still great. Personally I like the story progression a little better in FC3 but they are both very solid games. I guess they are really almost the same game when you think about it, just in different locations. I am still amazed by the production values in these games.

I had my doubts about Far Cry Primal, mainly because there are no guns, but after watching some actual in-game videos I think it looks like something I will jump on pretty early.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
This thread got me wanting to play some more Far Cry while waiting for the new one to come out. I fired up FC3 since it has been awhile since playing and it is still great. Personally I like the story progression a little better in FC3 but they are both very solid games. I guess they are really almost the same game when you think about it, just in different locations. I am still amazed by the production values in these games.

I had my doubts about Far Cry Primal, mainly because there are no guns, but after watching some actual in-game videos I think it looks like something I will jump on pretty early.

I actually prefer the bow & arrows approach myself so lacking guns is a plus. Primal has gotten me back to playing Far Cry 4 and it's actually more fun now than at launch.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I actually prefer the bow & arrows approach myself so lacking guns is a plus. Primal has gotten me back to playing Far Cry 4 and it's actually more fun now than at launch.

Yeah, I have also been doing a fresh play through Skyrim over the past couple of months as a pure archer and I have really enjoyed that. I think playing primarily as a bow user in a Far Cry game could be pretty cool. It's just that the guns always felt really well done in FC3 and FC4 so I need to get over that.