Far Cry 3 - Back in the jungle!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i'm wonder why the thread title says "back in the jungle"? FC2 had jungle areas. It wasn't tropical island jungle, but it was still jungle.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
i'm wonder why the thread title says "back in the jungle"? FC2 had jungle areas. It wasn't tropical island jungle, but it was still jungle.

Oh, it did? That must have been later on in the game. No one I knew got past like 8% completed.....:\

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Oh, it did? That must have been later on in the game. No one I knew got past like 8% completed.....:\

the first area you venture into out of the city is jungle, isn't it?

It's been a while since i played.

Last edited:

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Dont get married bro.just saying

:p

What does marriage have to do with repetitiveness or variety?

:confused:

the first area you venture into out of the city is jungle, isn't it?
Savannah or veldt outside of town.

The original Far Cry started off great - half of the game was top notch - then the story went to hell with the stupid mutants and aliens - and the ending was really difficult (Volcano level) - but the boss fight was an execution :p

Far Cry 2
was about being dropped into a dirty little war with no super-powers - just crap weapons, a lot of scrounging for ammo and *improvisation* ... a different game from the original. It was well received (except here) and got a metacritic score of 85.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/far-cry-2

Far Cry got 89
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/far-cry-2

It almost looks like Far Cry 3 is an expansion of the original
- with probably the same graphics to appease the consolers and some token effects to squeeze $60 from the PC gamers.

i wonder if we will have to wait for a DX11 patch
:whiste:

Last edited:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
are you sure? I clearly remember being in a jungle in the very early stages of the game.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
are you sure? I clearly remember being in a jungle in the very early stages of the game.

Yeah, I don't know, I'm kind of being facetious. It may be. Is it like kind of safari jungle though. Like sandy and beige all the time. Instead of green and blue (water). Is there something more jungle then the beginning of the game?

And I don't know if I'd quote that Metacritic score Apoppin. . .. Look at the difference in the user score which consists of 700 users and not just professional critics who whore themselves out to everyone anyway.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah, I don't know, I'm kind of being facetious. It may be. Is it like kind of safari jungle though. Like sandy and beige all the time. Instead of green and blue (water). Is there something more jungle then the beginning of the game?

And I don't know if I'd quote that Metacritic score Apoppin. . .. Look at the difference in the user score which consists of 700 users and not just professional critics who whore themselves out to everyone anyway.

Metacritic is not reliable in any way.
The pros sell their scores.
The amateurs are mostly fanboys or haters and neither can be trusted.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Metacritic is not reliable in any way.
The pros sell their scores.
The amateurs are mostly fanboys or haters and neither can be trusted.
So .. the motto is,

"Trust no one"
:(

It's got to be better than that

i will be in a little while. Somehow i missed playing it in S3D
:thumbsup:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT0szhaanB8

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
That *is* what we are worried about
o_O

i'm not. i can enjoy games without top of the line graphics. However keep in mind that FC2...which also was made for console, Is still one of the best looking PC games to date.
Look at this, it compares well to any current PC game to date. But even if FC3 looked worse, it must suck to be a graphicswhore and miss out on so many good games.

26884405.jpg

16193942.jpg

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
i just replayed the first two missions. The first one you have to kill the two guards at the safe house. There are trees nearby but it is definitely not "jungle"
:whiste:

i'm not. i can enjoy games without top of the line graphics. However keep in mind that FC2...which also was made for console, Is still one of the best looking PC games to date.
Look at this, it compares well to any current PC game to date. But even if FC3 looked worse, it must suck to be a graphicswhore and miss out on so many good games.
i can too (btw, FC 2 looks *awesome* in S3D, 1080p - i am replaying bits of it now). As a matter of fact, i revisited nearly 80 games for an upcoming 3D Vision evaluation - back as far as Max Payne: FoMP (2) and NoLF 2
- (surprisingly) they look great in S3D and it is an advantage to re-play older games in a new way (either with maxed out filtering SSAA, or in 3D)
:thumbsup:

That said i don't remember the devs boasting that the console version of FC 2 would not look too different than the console - the PC version is better.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I hope that they fix the control scheme. I bought FC1, I think it was, in a double-jewel case, and I never could get it to work. On two different computers, the mouse wouldn't aim. You could move around with the keyboard, but no mouselook/aim. Made the game useless.

That's about as far as I've experienced the Far Cry universe.

At least I got further than Supreme Commander, that I picked up at Staples in a jewel case for $5. Installed it, and then when you go to play, it complains that the game disc isn't in the drive. Only, it is. Hooray for copy-protection that doesn't work right.

And people wonder why I quit PC gaming altogether. I never hear about problems like these from people that download the cracked versions.

Last edited:

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I might be interested if it was made by Crytek, but then again I haven't even gotten Crysis 2 so probably not...