Fantasy resource gathering games.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Looking for a fantasy themed resource/rts game. Heavy on the resource gathering/city building phase if possible.

Anything out there?

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
To a limited extent age of wonders and spellforce series.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
For turn-based with castle building there is Heroes of Might & Magic 1-3 from gog.com

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
Anno 2070 is a pretty fun city builder/resource gatherer. It isn't really fantasy, but it is futuristic.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Caeser 4, or 3 if you don't mind the older graphics.
one of the best city building series.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Heroes 3 if you want a good game, Heroes 6 if you want pretty.

Actually, if you mean something where economics is the focus I havent played a fantasy game like that since DOS. I would not even call Age of Wonders appropriate.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
http://clashofclans.wikia.com/wiki/Clash_of_Clans_Wiki

The reason I ask is because I find myself addicted to this game. I play on my iPod Touch with its ridiculously tiny screen. The gameplay is amazing, very basic resource gathering from mines you build in your city, followed by building up city defenses and an army. Raiding other player's cities with your army, trying to wipe out their defenses and steal their resources to improve your city faster.

So it's really a combination tower defense (of sorts) with the opposite - raiding someone else's tower defense setup with your army. Along with elements of resource gathering/management and basic city building thrown in for fun.

Just kinda wondered if there were any similar games out for the pc. I know about Majesty, have actually played and enjoyed the first one, definitely like how you don't directly control your units (beyond placing bounties on stuff you want explored or attacked). Haven't played the second one (yet).

Maybe Fallen Enchantress, have to look at that one a bit closer.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
Any from the Anno series.
X2. The original Stronghold (circa. 2001) and Settlers II (circa. 1996) are very good too.

They are not fantasy-themed but I cannot think of one that matches these in terms of true focus on city-building and resource-gathering (while being excellent games themselves).

p.s. The HoMM series and Fallen Enchantress do have city-building element to them but they are very much dumbed-down/simplified relative to the city-building genre.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Rise of Nations and Empire Earth II have more resourcing and building than many of their contemporaries, but I think OP was looking for stuff more like Caesar.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
I'm thinking if HoMM was RTS instead of turn-based it would be about what I had in mind.

Pretty much the same for Fallen Enchantress, now that I look at it a bit closer. I have Warlock: Master of the Arcane and while it's fairly fun the whole turn-based gameplay has lost its appeal for me. I'd much rather have everything just happening in real time rather than having to take turns playing.

The game I referenced, Clash of Clans, to me seems like one of the RTS Warcraft games but with multiplayer thrown in in discrete portions. Build your base, build your army, then raid other players' bases and try to overwhelm their defensive setup. And hope that your own defenses are good enough to block other players from leveling your base while you're offline. Your base/defenses get better over time as you take more resources from other players but the opponents you face get better too so it stays pretty well balanced.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92931949

I can't vouch for how focused this game is on the resource gathering / base building aspects, but they are there, and it is a fantasy setting. Note that this is a 'greenlight' game for Steam, meaning its not available on Steam yet, but the game has been released outside of Steam already. I think the link to their website is somewhere on the Steam page.

Jeffg010

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2008
I'm thinking if HoMM was RTS instead of turn-based it would be about what I had in mind.

Pretty much the same for Fallen Enchantress, now that I look at it a bit closer. I have Warlock: Master of the Arcane and while it's fairly fun the whole turn-based gameplay has lost its appeal for me. I'd much rather have everything just happening in real time rather than having to take turns playing.

The game I referenced, Clash of Clans, to me seems like one of the RTS Warcraft games but with multiplayer thrown in in discrete portions. Build your base, build your army, then raid other players' bases and try to overwhelm their defensive setup. And hope that your own defenses are good enough to block other players from leveling your base while you're offline. Your base/defenses get better over time as you take more resources from other players but the opponents you face get better too so it stays pretty well balanced.

Sounds like back yard monsters to me.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Majesty and Majesty 2 (they both have their own ups and downs) are fantasy setting base builders. You don't control heroes just build the town and offer suggestions (rewards) to get things done. There's also an android version of the game that's pretty fun too.

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
Majesty and Majesty 2 (they both have their own ups and downs) are fantasy setting base builders. You don't control heroes just build the town and offer suggestions (rewards) to get things done. There's also an android version of the game that's pretty fun too.

Wow... They were fun. Forgot about those.
It was a nice concept that your heros sorta did their own thing....
Dungeon Keeper 1 and or 2.
Though I hear HORRID running on Win 7.....

I MISS BULLFROG....

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The GOG versions of DK 1 and 2 supposedly work alright on Win 7. I still have my discs and am using XP for my gaming rig.