fans spin for .5 second, but computer refuses to boot after CMOS is cleared

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
I am a computer techie kind of person that gets called upon fairly often to fix home systems, and I have an issue that I want some opinions on because I'm not sure of what the porblem may be. Just post your opinion on what you think the most likely cause of the problem is.

This system's PSU died suddenly a week ago, and I replaced it with a brand new Antec Truepower 2.0 350W PSU. With the new PSU it booted perfectly and ran for the hour or so I was there. Yesterday I got an email that the system had shut off suddenly again and would not boot. When the power button is pressed, the fans spin for half a second then it shuts off. I had the owner unplug the system, open the case and walked her through clearing the CMOS by moving the appropriate jumper. The system still would not boot.

In my experience, this means the processor is dead but I'd like to know if you think I should check anything else before replacing it. I ask because I live 45+ mins from their house and I'm going to have to order a new CPU online if that's what the problem is and I don't want to waste anyone's time or money by assuming that's the problem.

dafuzzbudd

Feb 7, 2004
i had a similar situation. i put in a different psu then the fans would spin then shut off. i tested the chip in another pc and it didnt work. turned out i had to replace the mobo and the chip. still have no clue what the hell happened

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I had a similar situation also. CPU fans spins for a sec on boot and then nothing except the power light was ON on the mobo.
I think my Antec PSU fried my mobo but it was definately a dead mobo for me.