Question Fans run at 100%

noob25002

Sep 16, 2018
Hello,

A few days ago I did some work on my PC. Afterwards, when I ran a GPU benchmark the fans started going at 100% and would't stop, even if I restart.

GPU is a 1060 GTX (GV-N1060AORUS-6GD), Seasonic 620W (SS-620GB), Win10 X64, latest drivers.
If I use any application that the GPU would be used the fans go at 100%, very load. I actually don't know what speed the fans are going because they show up at 0% in monitoring software: GPU Z, HWiNFO64, even Gigabyte's own software. It also does not let me control it via any application.

Tried reseating the card. Tried reinstalling the driver. Tried installing an older driver.
Finally I switched the 8 pin power connector. The PSU has 2 of them, both on the same cord. It worked and the fan was not going to 100%, also fan speeds were visible.

I wanted to see if the first plug was faulty and plugged it in. It worked also.
Today I did some more work, and the fan started trouble again. Unplugged it and plugged back in again, moved the cable around a bit and it seem to be working.

The system board has a light to show if any device is faulty. The GPU has a light near the power connector to indicate it is not plugged in. Both are off.
I can't tell what the problem is. Is it a faulty cable?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Maybe if it happens again, you can try to get in there and wiggle the cable to see if it stops? In other words, wiggle the cable as it's happening.

noob25002

Sep 16, 2018
Reseated the card and was able to manifest the issue.
This time I could see the fan speed, but it did not report it as being 100%, just 26% (it sounded like 100%).
Also, when the fan is at 100% there is a burnt electronics smell.

Moved the cable and it the fan went down in speed.
I don't understand how a (broken?) cable can cause fan issues.

LE: this happened after I did some cable management. I don't remember damaging the cable. Could the zip ties pressing on the cable be causing this? I just move the bottom part of the cable to fix it, not the top where it's strapped.

Last edited:

Guru

May 5, 2017
Reseat all the cables, make sure there aren't any naked wires. You said you were doing some work, make sure you haven't squeezed some wires too hard, they lose their conductivity a bit that way or that there aren't any naked wires.

Apart from that check the GPU in another PC if you can and see if there are still problems. If yes, then maybe you should return it if you still have a warranty.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I would try forcing the fan speed in MSI Afterburner after replacing the cable if still having problems. You should be able to force a fan profile. I haven't encountered a 10 series card that doesn't support this.

It does sound like a cable issue though. This is hopefully the culprit, and a replacement will hopefully fix that.

Last edited:

noob25002

Sep 16, 2018
I tried forcing it with the Gigabyte software and when the fans worked correctly it went to the desired speed, and when the fans were not working correctly it did not.

I've updated the BIOS and got the 416.94 driver.
Haven't been able to replicate the problem.
Maybe it is a cable issue, but the PSU is not modular, and not sure if the warranty department will be able to replicate the problem either.