Fan speed problem with RX 6600 cards under Win10, while using Nicehash / OpenCL?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Had a pair of cards, a triple-fan Gigabyte RX 6600, and I smaller dual-fan, quite possibly a powercolor Fighter RX 6600.

Anyways, installing the newest driver from AMD, and launching Nicehash, it starts benchmarking, but the temps hit 86C and rising, and either the rig freezes, or the cards disappear out of device manager (and the miner software.)

I finally got them to mine, limping along, after installing the newest AfterBurner, and manually setting fan-speed to 99%. Which causes it to ramp-up under load, but otherwise, stays off.

I am unable to access Adrenaline Control Center on that box.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I wish you the best of luck.

I am sorry I do not know how to fix your problem. It is very bizarre.

Maybe BIOS flash is in order? Feels like custom BIOS with that fan behavior.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I am not really familiar with Nicehash, but I know in Phoenix miner that you cannot use newer AMD drivers than supported by the miner, or at least you could but it could cause issues. You might want to try using slightly older drivers.

andreipr

Aug 30, 2022
Had a pair of cards, a triple-fan Gigabyte RX 6600, and I smaller dual-fan, quite possibly a powercolor Fighter RX 6600.

Anyways, installing the newest driver from AMD, and launching Nicehash, it starts benchmarking, but the temps hit 86C and rising, and either the rig freezes, or the cards disappear out of device manager (and the miner software.)

I finally got them to mine, limping along, after installing the newest AfterBurner, and manually setting fan-speed to 99%. Which causes it to ramp-up under load, but otherwise, stays off.

I am unable to access Adrenaline Control Center on that box.

Hi!
I have exactly the same problem! Did you find the solution?

andreipr

Aug 30, 2022
Start MSI AB immediately after boot, and set fanspeed.
Hi,

Thank you for your reply! In my case I was not able to set it in MSI... I don't now why.

I used however Adrenaline Control Center and set the fan speed manually.

I wonder why it happend, because it runed before without issues.