fan on Zalman gpu cooler died

jinx099

Dec 15, 2003
Hello all, I have a connect3d x800 GTO that has been modded to 16 pipes and has been fitted with a Zalman vf700-cu (guessing on exact model number, but its the slightly older all copper version).

I came home the other day to find that my display was gone. I rebooted my PC and got about 10 repeating BIOS beep codes. Aparently for the video. I then looked closer into my case to find that the fan on my zalman wasn't spinning!! I immediatley turn off the PC and take the card out to inspect. The all copper Zalman cooler was very discolored, parts were almost white and some parts were almost black, will take some pics later.

I put the card back in and turned on the PC and this time the fan started working and booted into my OS. Everything seemed fine in 2d. Then I fired up a game of UT2004 and it was stuttering very badly. This was in linux so I thought maybe there was something going on in the background and decided to try a game in windows. First I opened up ATi tool and selected my default overclock, 520/500. Then I fired up Hitman Bloodmoney and it seemed fine at first. I started getting some mild artifacts, but nothing major, then after a few minutes it froze up and GPU recover kicked in.

I will ahve to test this all out more later and update this for you guys.

What can I do? Does connect3d have any kind of warranty? Would it even be valid with the zalman and modded bios? Does zalman have a warranty?

What should I do? Thanks in advance!

Ulfhednar

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2006
It sounds to me like the card is now borked due to overheating, and due to modifying the BIOS and fitting aftermarket cooling there is no way in hell that Powercolor or the retailer would take it back for replacement. Sorry.

A similar thing happened to my X1800XT lately. I was cleaning out my system and fans, and forgot to plug the lead for the Zalman VF900 back into my motherboard. The card lasted twenty minutes in Windows without me noticing and then the PC shut down, when I booted it up again I had artifacts all over the place in 2D and pretty much crapped myself.

amheck

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2000
Man, I feel for you. I've wanted to replace the cooler on my x800xl, but after reading some issues with the ARctic cooler failing and video cards crapping out, I've held off. I've considered the Zalman cooler, too, but now I'm bummed to hear this can even happen on these too.

Hope you get this fixed.

Aaron

Crescent13

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Ulfhednar
It sounds to me like the card is now borked due to overheating, and due to modifying the BIOS and fitting aftermarket cooling there is no way in hell that Powercolor or the retailer would take it back for replacement. Sorry.

A similar thing happened to my X1800XT lately. I was cleaning out my system and fans, and forgot to plug the lead for the Zalman VF900 back into my motherboard. The card lasted twenty minutes in Windows without me noticing and then the PC shut down, when I booted it up again I had artifacts all over the place in 2D and pretty much crapped myself.

Excaclty what I'm thinking.

mylok

Nov 1, 2004
Before you give up on the card, you might try removing the cooler and re-apply some new thermal paste (after cleaning the old themal paste). That worked for me on one of my 6600gt's.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
glad I bought the evga card now. maybe i'll take the zalman off just to be safe. but at least they(evga) cover aftermarket cooling

jinx099

Dec 15, 2003
mylok: When I had it booted into windows, the temp reading was normal, so I don't think new thermal paste would fix anything.

micha1980: Does evga allow replacing the HSF within warranty on all their cards? I'm thinking of buying a 7900GT or something along those lines from nvidia.

So any chance I can get a new HSF from Zalman? The HSF is only 8 months old...

Pics to come tonight hopefully.