Fan dying on Geforce 4?

CtlAltl33t

Nov 18, 2001
Today I turned on my PC and heard a disturbing sound come from the case. It sounded like a fan for sure, grinding up and churning along really slow. I immediately opened it and could tell it was coming from my video card. I touched the fan a few times and it seemed to be turning but very slowly. Eventually it sped back up and seemed to be back to normal. I've heard of problems with Visiontek cards, and now that they've been having financial difficulties I am a bit concerned if I should try to RMA this thing. I bought it from Best Buy in June... it is a Visiontek Geforce 4 Ti4200 128mb AGP. Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Obviously, the super-duper 30 day warranty from Best Buy has unfortunately EXPIRED. Cooling for the rest of the system is fine, never had any other problems.

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
NorthRiver, here's a replacement heatsink and fan for you. I'd hold off a bit if I were you. Even Doom III should run OK with a GeForce3.

CtlAltl33t

Nov 18, 2001
The noise happened again today, but it seems to be working fine now, so as long as I leave it on it works. Very weird. I am going to attempt to contact visiontek tomorrow, to see what my options are. Thx for the input so far

Lizardman

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2001
IF you are going to buy another heatsink for your card dont get the stock one again. Get this one its pretty good. LINK

This one is cheaper and from a reliable company.

CtlAltl33t

Nov 18, 2001
I meant to say my PS is 350watt...so no power problems I don't think.

I am going to email Visiontek, and I will post their response in here. Thanks for the advice so far.