Family of surviving Somali pirate wants him released...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
Wow the internet heros are out in full force. "KILL HIM", "HARVEST HIS ORGANS", "HE'LL EAT HIS MOTHER"!!!!! "Dirty civil rights lawyer representing him!!!"

The pirate is a scumbag, but armed robbery does not justify treating him like a serial killer. If armed robbery deserves execution, I suppose people should have their hands chopped off as well when they steal candy bars from the local stores.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
This is NOT an endorsement of piracy.

It's not always easy to see the other side of things, however if you look into the conditions which have caused the extreme poverty in Somalia, you'll find that the rest of the world decimated the only real source of income which was fishing and used the area to dump it's extremely toxic waste. While people ought to be accountable for their actions (and that's the pirate needs to answer for his crimes) not all of them are. It's legal to ruin an entire country. No, we cannot tolerate piracy and should not however there is no effective alternative for these people. It was taken from them.

Seems to me that a lot of people have things to answer for. Most of them won't.

You really think the problems of Somalia would be solved by preventing illegal fishing from taking place?

How about getting rid of the damn warlords who care nothing about their society and only want to enrich themselves at everyone's elses expense. These are the people who keep their country in continual state of poverty and force them to extreme actions such as piracy. But then again, most of the population is too worried about staying high to give a rat's ass about anything else. It is probably their only way to deal with the problems that they face on a daily basis, so it is pretty much a 'chicken or the egg' scenario.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Hacp
I feel sorry for him.. but he needs to die. Why are they charging him in New York and not in Texas?

Because Texas is full of people like you.

Its nice seeing the fine line between Stormfront and AT is so very, very thin.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: CitizenKain
I feel sorry for him.. but he needs to die. Why are they charging him in New York and not in Texas?

you are right...we should just let him go with just a slap on wrist. I am sure he has learned his lesson and won't ever be part of another piracy attempt in the future...

These pirate have just been so mistreated...when they were growing up, they probably were on teams where their opponents ran up the score which damaged their self esteem so they need to lash out.

It's not their fault you know...There JUST HAS TO BE some underlying reason why he did this because an individual is never responsible for their OWN actions anymore.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
He should be treated no better and no worse than any other criminal. His mom wants to be here for the trial? No problem. Get a visa and pay for your travel and lodging. Can't get a visa? Too bad. Can't afford it? Too bad. Your son should have thought of that before he took up being a pirate.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Originally posted by: spacejamz

you are right...we should just let him go with just a slap on wrist. I am sure he has learned his lesson and won't ever be part of another piracy attempt in the future...

These pirate have just been so mistreated...when they were growing up, they probably were on teams where their opponents ran up the score which damaged their self esteem so they need to lash out.

It's not their fault you know...There JUST HAS TO BE some underlying reason why he did this because an individual is never responsible for their OWN actions anymore.

It's all Bush's fault, don't you know? He singlehandedly depleted their waters of fish and dumped toxic waste to pollute their waters. The ACLU should use this as a landmark case to show the rest of the world that this is all the US's fault. Obama can then apologize for us and pledge $4 trillion of aid to Somalia. That should make it all better.

On a serious note, I agree with you. He deserves no sympathy.

magreen

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2006
Originally posted by: ScottyB
So when he goes to prison, is he going to become--dare I say?--a butt pirate?
he ain't going to prison. he's going to Oprah. then to the book signing. then to the film set. then to be the spokesperson for the next UN world conference on racism.

nullzero

Jan 15, 2005
Originally posted by: SSSnail
Somehow, Hollywood will make a movie of this, I guarantee it.

Pirates of the Aden?... Somali Pirate Down (from the makers of black hawk down)

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Originally posted by: magreen
he ain't going to prison. he's going to Oprah. then to the book signing. then to the film set. then to be the spokesperson for the next UN world conference on racism.
How about a position with the current administration? We've got an actor and a whole cadre of tax cheats. It's probably only fair to have a pirate on board.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: boomerang
How about a position with the current administration? We've got an actor and a whole cadre of tax cheats. It's probably only fair to have a pirate on board.

How about staying on topic instead of being a partisan hack?

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: boomerang

How about staying on topic instead of being a partisan hack?

gee, if we did that, the post counts on most of the threads here would be cut in half...where's the fun in that?

or do you really only want the negative comments about your party not to be posted?

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Great! That's all we need is another person to spend millions of dollars on and then get to keep him in jail for years then send him home.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

Released? He should be strung up or chopped into pieces.

It is amazing how many internet heros have visited this thread. This criminal who committed armed robbery did not kill anyone. What is the exact justification for being chopped into pieces? Hell I'd support prisons with labor and no Cable TV/etc. However you clearly identify yourself as a loser with an inferiority complex when you rabidly demand the gruesome death of someone who's committed armed robbery.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000

Man, if only there was some punishment between killing someone and letting them go. I wonder what it could be. Some sort of facility that keeps people from leaving. Why hasn't someone invented something like that?

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005

Man, if only there was some punishment between killing someone and letting them go. I wonder what it could be. Some sort of facility that keeps people from leaving. Why hasn't someone invented something like that?

I agree. Chop his hands off and send him back to somolia.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

We should fly him back to Somalia and release him...... from about 10,000 ft.

trooper11

Aug 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Robor
He should be treated no better and no worse than any other criminal. His mom wants to be here for the trial? No problem. Get a visa and pay for your travel and lodging. Can't get a visa? Too bad. Can't afford it? Too bad. Your son should have thought of that before he took up being a pirate.

Exactly, I agree with this 100%. He is a criminal and should be treated as such under our laws. Its time the pirates got a taste of real consequences for their actions.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: CLite

It is amazing how many internet heros have visited this thread. This criminal who committed armed robbery did not kill anyone. What is the exact justification for being chopped into pieces? Hell I'd support prisons with labor and no Cable TV/etc. However you clearly identify yourself as a loser with an inferiority complex when you rabidly demand the gruesome death of someone who's committed armed robbery.

They didn't merely commit armed robbery; rather they took a hostage, essentially threatening to kill him. Also, the only way we are going to put an end to the Somali pirate problem is, very simply, to exterminate and terrorize the pirates and not to drop boxes of flowers and chocolates and messages of enlightened politically correct multicultural "understanding" and compassion on them. If we had really wanted to end this problem, we could have done it months if not years ago.

One newspaper article I read made a reference to a pirate base at a known location. Having read that, I could have tossed my cookies in disgust. If the base were known to exist at a certain location, then why the hell was it still standing? Shouldn't it have been bombed into smithereens and incinerated? Shouldn't an assault team have seized, waterboarded, and hung all of the pirates from the pirate base?

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: trooper11Exactly, I agree with this 100%. He is a criminal and should be treated as such under our laws. Its time the pirates got a taste of real consequences for their actions.

You mean posh jails where they can enjoy TV, card games, weight lifting, and three hots, and a cot? Would you give them boxes of chocolates too?

I'm sure that will provide a great deterrent against piracy.