Fallout 4 is really coming

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Did you accidentally access a container (most things you can pick up are red, which will alert everyone in that area). I was trying to talk to the doctor to cure my rads and he walks away as I click, accidentally clicked on an item in the background and then the doctor turned and started swinging at me as well as the security guards shooting at me.

Which is a severe gameplay flaw. Maybe if someone sees you they should confront you. It's totally immersion breaking when the entire town knows you grabbed a dish off the table and attacks you for it.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Haven't played it since I got the bundle. Just too complicated and too much to do meaning it's too time-consuming. Trying to get rid of it on CL for $45, literally played twice. Hopefully someone will buy it for their kid for the holidays.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Which is a severe gameplay flaw. Maybe if someone sees you they should confront you. It's totally immersion breaking when the entire town knows you grabbed a dish off the table and attacks you for it.

Which has been a complaint since Oblivion. In fact there was a very popular mod that I used that made sure only the guards who saw the crime would try to get you. I'm surprised that a modder fixed this issue that long ago but after this many games it's still broken.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Did you accidentally access a container (most things you can pick up are red, which will alert everyone in that area). I was trying to talk to the doctor to cure my rads and he walks away as I click, accidentally clicked on an item in the background and then the doctor turned and started swinging at me as well as the security guards shooting at me.

Nah, nothing like that.

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
Finished the game over Christmas.

Wasn't as good as Fallout 3. Probably because it played very similarly and we may be starting to expect more now.

I thought settlement building was huge filler and a waste of time. I did the minimum on Sanctuary and no more, but nothing about it seemed to have any value, and I read many people's experiences with it online saying to not bother.

The story was pretty stupid to be honest.

I'm almost starting to wonder if fast travel is hurting these open world games because once you identify a spot you just fast travel to it, so in a sense you only ever walk through one section of world once. There should be some sort of cost to it. In fallout 2 gas played some role in fast travel.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I probably wouldn't play the game without fast travel, just too much walking. I'm liking the game alot so far, 80hrs in maybe. Haven't played a ton of the main story line, but what I have played I have liked.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I try to minimize my fast traveling in games. I Shadow of Mordor, I don't think I ever used it. I did it quite a bit in Skyrim, I think. It definitely hurts the world and its point of existence, unless it's a game where enemies stop spawning once it's cleared. At that points, it's just a left stick time sink. However, in a game where there will always be something going on between points, it's good to do things on foot.

But really, it seems we're at a point where, after years of complaining that some games are too linear (BioShock Infinite), people are getting tired of open-world games. Fetch quests and the like are just turning decent games into excessively long titles. Yes, a game can be too long. I don't want every game I play to feel like a job. A game that only takes 20-50 hours to complete (like Mordor and Sunset Overdrive) is fine. It's part of why I won't touch The Witcher, and part of why I'm not really bothering with Fallout 4--the second I get into it, it's all I play, and I have Destiny: TTK and Forza 6 still in their plastic, plus both Kingdom Hearts HD ReMix releases, Halo 5, and Battlefront I want to play.

Too many games, too little time, and a lot more (The Division, DOOM, Quantum Break, and I could go on) coming too quickly.

Reactions: shortylickens

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Finished the game over Christmas.

Wasn't as good as Fallout 3. Probably because it played very similarly and we may be starting to expect more now.

I thought settlement building was huge filler and a waste of time. I did the minimum on Sanctuary and no more, but nothing about it seemed to have any value, and I read many people's experiences with it online saying to not bother.

The story was pretty stupid to be honest.

I'm almost starting to wonder if fast travel is hurting these open world games because once you identify a spot you just fast travel to it, so in a sense you only ever walk through one section of world once. There should be some sort of cost to it. In fallout 2 gas played some role in fast travel.

*sigh* This logic makes no sense. If you don't like fast travel you always have the option of not using it. Don't change the entire game mechanic, potentially ruining it for those of us that rely on fast travel to not be bored to tears, when the simple solution is just to NOT use it if you don't want to.

I remember the same logic popping up in the first FEAR game. I saw people saying it was a good game, except the slo-mo power made it too easy. Then don't use it, that was a quick fix.

Fulle

Aug 18, 2008
I'm getting a lot of pressure from coworkers to play Fallout 4. I might reluctantly get it soon. I wasn't impressed with 4, honestly, since some RPG stuff was dialed back from Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but for sake of socializing with the 5ish coworkers who have the game, I might get it anyway.

What's the current status of the PS4 version of the game? Most of the bugs ironed out yet? Anyone know when mod support will get patched into the XBO and PS4 versions of the game?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I'm getting a lot of pressure from coworkers to play Fallout 4. I might reluctantly get it soon. I wasn't impressed with 4, honestly, since some RPG stuff was dialed back from Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but for sake of socializing with the 5ish coworkers who have the game, I might get it anyway.

What's the current status of the PS4 version of the game? Most of the bugs ironed out yet? Anyone know when mod support will get patched into the XBO and PS4 versions of the game?
It's definitely a dumbed down game compared to 3/New Vegas. It's just not as fun at all in almost every way. I've been almost forcing myself to play it but I only play a little at a time because it's just kinda boring for me.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It's definitely a dumbed down game compared to 3/New Vegas. It's just not as fun at all in almost every way. I've been almost forcing myself to play it but I only play a little at a time because it's just kinda boring for me.

That's why I rushed to the end of the story and didn't explore the factions thoroughly. There's just too much dead space in the game, worthless clutter in the landscape and boring storylines with fetch quests.

Fulle

Aug 18, 2008
Awwwwwwww, man. *sigh* Maybe I can just keep them distracted by saying ridiculous things about Star Wars... at least until the next big game comes.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
All the more reason for people to move over to PC where we have absolutely no limits for mods.

As for the sale, give it a month or two for the Steam Winter Sale. It usually happens around Christmas and extends a week into the new year, but Steam generally has some decent sales leading up to Christmas.