Fallout 3 - Worth buying?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Fallout 3 is phenomenal. It's the atmosphere of the game that really sucks me in, I can't get enough. It's the same reason I loved Bioshock, if you can let yourself really get into the world they've created, there's a lot to enjoy. F3 isn't perfect though, and has some shockingly obvious flaws. But none of that kills the immersion.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
I'd recommend renting it on a console.

The overall ambience, music, sidequests and exploration are very good and engaging. If you liked Oblivion, I think you'll have more fun here exploring *with guns* and participating in some pretty involved and cool sidequests. The exploring part of this game, which is almost the whole thing, was an easy 10/10 for me. If I had written a review after 20 hours of gameplay, I would have given it a near perfect score and started replaying it immediately.

The main plot is very short, fairly stupid, and has a horrifyingly bad ending. After finishing the game I felt so cheated by the main plot that I put away the disc, complained about it to a friend, and haven't touched it since.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
The main quest in Oblivion left a lot to be desired as well. I do have a question about the main quest in Fallout that maybe someone has an answer for.

(SPOILERS warning)

First off, I've beaten the main quest already. After the Enclave shows up, there appeared to be a drastically large increase in the number of random enemies out in the wastes. Does anyone know the exact moment the enemies start showing up in larger numbers? Because I'd like to reload an older save game and continue exploring the wastes, and it'd be nice to have some Power Armor but I won't bother if the point where you can get trained for PArmor is after the point where the wasteland enemies exponentially increase in number.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: NoSoup4You
The main quest in Oblivion left a lot to be desired as well. I do have a question about the main quest in Fallout that maybe someone has an answer for.

(SPOILERS warning)

First off, I've beaten the main quest already. After the Enclave shows up, there appeared to be a drastically large increase in the number of random enemies out in the wastes. Does anyone know the exact moment the enemies start showing up in larger numbers? Because I'd like to reload an older save game and continue exploring the wastes, and it'd be nice to have some Power Armor but I won't bother if the point where you can get trained for PArmor is after the point where the wasteland enemies exponentially increase in number.

lol I am at level 25 and have not yet even met with the enclave yet. I am mainly doing all the side stuff first. I have yet to "find" the Technology Center" or whatever that quest is after you talk with the black guy at the radio station.

I think my main complaint with the game is that there is not enough variety of enemies. Other than that, it is loads of fun. I can't imagine playing through it a second time though.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
BEAT IT!

Wow, not worth fifty bucks.

Bateluer dont read this!!

Main quest isnt very long. Side quests can actually be more interesting. Which is funny cuz thats the opposite of Oblivion. I guess Elder Scrolls 4 was too long and complicated for the dumb console fanboys.

Its kinda nice how the ending is directly related to the choices you actually made in the game.
For reference I sacrificed myself and didnt inject the poison.
I will go back to a save game right before I blow up the AI President and join with him instead.

For those who dont mind being spoiled: The end game sequence is a lame rip-off of Oblivion.
You just follow a Mega-Robot and he does all the work for you. After a couple of mediocre fights in the Memorial you get to Col Autumn, who is a pushover if you use a laser rifle and a shot of Ultra-Jet (assuming your Energy Weapons skill isnt too low). I barely needed any armor or healing.
Got the Myterious Stranger Perk and never once saw that bastard. Lame.

Overall, Fallout 3 was weak. Oblivion was better in pretty much all ways except for maybe the setting.
They should have had some guilds or gangs for you to join. I kept expecting the Brotherhood to ask me to get the Outcasts to join up with them or clear out Vault 87 of the Super Mutants. I told the Elder about these things and he's like "Oh, thats interesting, thanks."
Dickhole.

EDIT:
OK, just had Sarah sacrifice herself. Ending was almost exactly the same. Noticed in the end movie you have dog following you. Can you get a dog companion in the game?
Alright, just used the poison. You can slip it in when Sarah isnt looking and then have her activate the Purifier, and you kill everyone except the Enclave. Or you can do yourself in.
Does anybody know if you get something different by killing the President but putting the poison in the air?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

OK, Bateluer you can read this!

I think the folks who make Rifts should have been consulted on this game. The post nuclear apocolypse thing is lame if not done correctly. I never really cared for anyone or anything in Fallout 3. World was uninteresting. They tried to do a Mad Max motif and it didnt really work out.
We should have had more interactions with various cults & gangs. Get them to ally (or go to war if you like), save more towns & people, explore some surviving Vaults.
I didnt get to too many other Vaults so I have no idea if they are OK or not. Didnt much feel like it. Since there really isnt much in the way of replayability I dont know if I'll even bother starting a new character.

Even though I dont love it and I've been playing and exploring in it for years, I will probably go back to Oblivion soon. Theres a lot more potential with the official expansions and the user mods.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
The navigation system blows, I'll say that much. On the world map, its not so bad. But in a zone, vault, city, building, etc, its horrible. Right now, I'm lost in Vault 106, every corridor looks the same. I keep having to switch to the pip boy to see the map, but that's useless because it doesn't show me the way out. I'd reload a save game and not go in at all, but I've looted some decent stuff to sell off not to mention all the ammunition.

S

SlitheryDee

I thought it was way too short. At the end I remember being shocked and disappointed when the recounting of my deeds started playing. I even finished every side quest that I discovered and still beat the game in a little over 30 hours. :(

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you can find it for cheap - then I'd say give it a try without any mods. If the game still doesn't appeal to you - then try one of the numerous mods for the game to see if that helps.

I'm in agreement with others that say Fallout 3 is Oblivion in a post-apocalyptic world. I just couldn't play past about 10 hours of Oblivion but I'm having a blast in Fallout 3...

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
So far, I must say that is is more enjoyable than Oblivion. At least the dialogue is moderately interesting and humorous at times. Definitely better looking NPCs walking around than there were in Oblivion. Some of the quests are actually entertaining too.

I'm working on Moira Brown's Guide quests right now.

What is curious though, when I drop the coins and spend the night with Nova, why does she sleep with her clothes on? :evil:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
The level cap is killing me though. I'm capped already and I haven't even done the first main storyline quest after leaving the vault. :p

Dec 8, 2008
Originally posted by: Baked
Originally posted by: zerocool84
It was boring to me. Many sensless missions that just felt unconnected to things. I didn't have any crashes or anything but it just got boring for me.

My exact sentiment about this game. I rented it, played it for a few hours and returned the game. The plot's weak, the characters are soulless, and everything just got too repetitive.

Me too.