Fallen Enchantress comes out today! (Master of Magic type game)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I found that having 2 dragons is an I Win button. They aren't easy to get, but putting two of them in an army makes that army unbeatable. Even one will make it nearly unbeatable, but epic level monsters can give you trouble with just one dragon.

Other than that, there are a bunch of unit tactics you can use that are effective. I like having archers with the impulsive trait, that allows them to go first. That allows you to damage anyone on the tactical map before the fight even begins. Again, this trait isn't available until a fortress town reaches level 3, which takes a while.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I played MoM a lot in the past. The only disadvantage was that the combination Trolls + Flying was simply unbeatable, especially if you also had invisibility. Mobs couldn't see you and therefor couldn't hit you back, and even those that could see you usually couldn't reach flying units. So the only moment where they could hit you back was when you'd hit them, but since trolls had high regen you'd simply hit, wait 1 or 2 turns and hit again. It would take a while but even the strongest mobs would be without a chance against several war trolls that way.

Wonder how strong spells are in this version, whether there is a similar combination of spells and units here.

I always seem to find that paladins where a little OP in MoM. If you played all white magic, you get the lionheart buff pretty fast (something like +3 to all stats). So that, coupled with paladin's magic immunity and first strike, made them nearly invincible. Also with all white magic, you could get the city buff that makes everyone happy really early in the game. Once you get that cast on your few cities, you can rape them on taxes, and they dont care. The hardest part is surviving long enough to get that spell and paladins, then its pretty much a win.

So anyway, back on topic. How much is this new game like MoM? Is it pretty much a remake?

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Got this game for free cause I bought the original back then. Didn't get into the original that much so I can't really comment on the new version.

I started the tutorial saturday and played it for amere 30 minutes. I'm liking what i'm seeing for now but there's so much stuff going on that it's really hard to know what does what and if you did the right choice in the tech/building/upgrade/anything.

I really have a hard time grasping this game but I see it's potential. It seem to have everything you need in a 4X game.

I'll try to finish the tutorial this week and start a real game. I'll give this a real chance and hope for the best.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I have to say that I am really into this game right now. My biggest problem right now is that I don't like starting new games, because the early game is so frustrating. Right now I take a mid game save and just play differently from there.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
So anyway, back on topic. How much is this new game like MoM? Is it pretty much a remake?

It's not a straight up remake, though it's probably the most similar game to MoM there has been. I don't think it has as much character as MoM, but it does capture most of the gameplay feel.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
It's not a straight up remake, though it's probably the most similar game to MoM there has been. I don't think it has as much character as MoM, but it does capture most of the gameplay feel.

I haven't looked into FE yet but if it is anything like other Stardock strategy games it is super involved, complicated, and time consuming. Which is not the essence of the original MOO/MOM. I think Paradox's Warlock: Master of the Arcane is the best MoM successor to date.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
On this last playthrough, I found and killed Torax, which is a giant earth elemental that looks like a walking mountain. I really like the few epic monsters like him they have added. It makes exploring the world pretty fun.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Version 1.01 is now available. http://forums.elementalgame.com/436132

It is supposed to fix some bugs that caused AI factions to grow at impossible rates in lower difficulty settings. This should make the early game less frustrating. I'll try it out on a new game and see.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
I haven't looked into FE yet but if it is anything like other Stardock strategy games it is super involved, complicated, and time consuming.

what?:confused: I've only played GalCiv 2 and some Demigod, but that is none of those things.
Go to Paradox as you mention, and their EU3 I might agree, but what I've seen from Stardock is pretty simple. Or Matrix games, those look complicated

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I picked this up today and put almost 3 hours into it. I really like it, but man I currently suck balls. Did the tutorial which honestly needs to be about 5x longer from what I've seen so far when I just made a game on easy to figure stuff out lol. Good game though and I am happy with my purchase.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
Got this off the Steam sale, installed it but haven't played it yet. Really looking forward to playing it. Been 17 years since I was last wow-ed by MOM.

This Steam sale is either a blessing or curse... I'm buying more games (and resisting ones I will unlikely play) than I normally do.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I bought 10 games between Amazon and Steam sales this weekend, and I still spent all my free time playing this game. I have to admit that it is damn fun, and once I finish a game i just want to start a new one and try again.

Edit: They fixed the AI building everything in their build queue bug that made the beginning so frustratingly hard, and now I enjoy the early game. The thing that I really like is that the non-conquering victories are actually fun, which is unheard of in 4X games. Still plenty of niggling issues with the game though.

Last edited:

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Yawn..... build archers(or mages, or anything with range attack) on horses, win game

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
Played game over weekend and as others have said, quite fun...the UI could use some improvements but once you get used to it then its not too bad...

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Holy crap, when you do the master quest the last boss fight is stupid hard. Its like 10 times harder than every fight before it put together.

edit: and Maul is very OP. I gave my sovereign a berserker sword and she killed Torax by herself in 2 turns.

Last edited:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I've been really enjoying this game. Spent like 12 hours playing it this weekend in one sitting lol. One more turn, damn you

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
Well, IMO the game does a poor job of explaining things to you...but..i'm finally getting it and having a ton of fun...

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Well, IMO the game does a poor job of explaining things to you...but..i'm finally getting it and having a ton of fun...

I definitely agree with that. Stardock has never been good at documenting features, or more accurately documenting changes to the features since they update their games frequently.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I always seem to find that paladins where a little OP in MoM. If you played all white magic, you get the lionheart buff pretty fast (something like +3 to all stats). So that, coupled with paladin's magic immunity and first strike, made them nearly invincible. Also with all white magic, you could get the city buff that makes everyone happy really early in the game. Once you get that cast on your few cities, you can rape them on taxes, and they dont care. The hardest part is surviving long enough to get that spell and paladins, then its pretty much a win.

The fastest way to beat MoM is with death magic. Pile everything into death magic and summon Wraiths ASAP (yes, on the very first turn, start to cast it). They fly and leave garrisons of undead troops behind, allowing you incredibly fast map control, even with lots of water on the map, and all that with low upkeep. Use resistance-lowering spells to make Wraiths more effective and more likely to turn units into undead (undead trolls are great... they regenerate yet require no upkeep--the best of both worlds).

By the time you summon your third Wraith, you will probably own half the regular world and busted into Myrror to boot. It's only a matter of time before you get Death Knights to wipe out anything your Wraiths couldn't kill. Or pair Wraiths with some of the stronger regular units.

Paladins are strong but Cracks Call and similar things can affect them. And they take forever to field, unlike Wraiths.

Last edited:

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Necro!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, just started a game with Legendary Heroes yesterday. I finally took the time to explore the game and learn it well enough that I can now enjoy this gem.

I'm still struggling with some aspects like the units. You start with only 4 different units IIRC...I also could see that with some Techs you unlock new units to train right?

What about designing your own units? What are the advantages?

And weapon/armor forging? Is that automatic or you have to craft your own items? I.e. If I complete the smithing research that unlock some weapons and armors, are they automatically available when I desing units?

Thanks a bunch guys! :p

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
It's been a while but if I remember the armor/weapons/items you research will be available to select when you create a custom unit. So, if you unlock two-handed swords for example you'll be able to assign 2 handers to your unit at creation. Be warned though that unlocked items still cost resources. So, you pimp your guys out in Masterworked plate, Swords of Fiery Goodness along with Rings of Total Bad-Assness and one little squad of troops will set you back a huge amount of resources.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hahaha yeah i'll check that!

BTW I love the art direction of this game, especially with LH. It's still outdated but look damn nice and colorful!

Nice fantasy 4X game!

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I have pretty much only designed my own units other than the pioneer unit. Just the ability to control their traits and what resources are required to make them makes it worthwhile. Also, you can select the option "best available" for each type so you don't need to redesign at each upgraded tech.