Fallen Enchantress comes out today! (Master of Magic type game)

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
It seems to be a nice time for turn based strategies with XCOM released and being good, and now Fallen Enchantress being released. I have played the beta,and I have to say it is a very fun game. I think this will be the best 4X game in years (which isn't saying much, but it is fun).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/216390/?snr=1_702_7__13

What does anyone else think of the game? I didn't like War of Magic, but I found this to scratch that 4X itch.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I like the game. I haven't played the campaign yet, as it isn't on the beta, but the sandbox game is quite fun. I'll grab the released game tonight and give you my thoughts on the campaign.

As for the sandbox game, it is similar to Civ IV, with tactical combat similar to HoMM. I have been playing XCOM lately so the release of this game kind of snuck up on me. I will need to come back and play it again to give you a better feel of the game.

Baptismbyfire

Oct 7, 2010
Please do.

The last I've heard, heroes still rule the battlefield, the AI is still quirky, and it lacks strategic depth due to them trying to incorporate too many features at once.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I'm sorry, but as I was waiting for the game to download I started to play XCOM. Before I realized it, it was past my bed time. I did install the game though, so I should be able to play tomorrow, but I may decide to try to finish my XCOM game first.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
I am very curious about this as well. I got burned bad when I pre-ordered the bug filled, unbalanced piece of crap that was Elemental: War of Magic. Despite how awful it was I could see the potential there for a great game, but I haven't been able to bring myself to reinstall it and try it out to see if the patches/updates have fixed it at all.

Iron Wolf

Jul 27, 2010
I am very curious about this as well. I got burned bad when I pre-ordered the bug filled, unbalanced piece of crap that was Elemental: War of Magic. Despite how awful it was I could see the potential there for a great game, but I haven't been able to bring myself to reinstall it and try it out to see if the patches/updates have fixed it at all.

Same with me. I wasted my money on Elemental, and I thought this was like a sequel to it. If so, I would never touch this game in a million years.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Interesting. They gave me the game for free because I bought Elemental. Still not sure I'm interested enough to be bothered to download it.

bentheman939

Mar 5, 2008
Interesting. They gave me the game for free because I bought Elemental. Still not sure I'm interested enough to be bothered to download it.

I've been playing the beta steady since beta 2. The game is pretty good. Definitely worth playing.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I played it a little today after I lost all my support soldiers in XCOM, and decided I wanted to play something else for a little while. The sandbox game is pretty good, although they changed around city building quite a bit since I last played it. The campaign isnt too bad either, but I didn't get too far in it yet.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Now that I have played the game quite a bit, I will say it is quite similar to other Stardock games. It has a huge amount of content, but it lacks polish on the small things. I also see that the AI is a heck of a lot more aggressive, and diplomacy isn't as good as it is in GalCiv.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008

Looks like I also received it for free, probably because I pre-ordered Elemental. Downloading Fallen Enchantress now, I'll post some impressions if I get any time to play it over the weekend.

Ganeedi

Jul 7, 2008
I received this email today. Classy move by Stardock - making good on promises to deliver, albeit a few years late...

via email said:
Dear Stardock customer,

My name is Brad Wardell. I'm the President & CEO of Stardock. Two years ago, you bought a game from us called Elemental: War of Magic. We had great hopes and ambitions for that game but, in the end, it just wasn't a very good game.

Elemental was an expensive game. You probably paid $50 or more for it. And you trusted us to deliver to you a good game. $50 is a lot of money and companies have a moral obligation to deliver what they say they're going to deliver and frankly, Stardock failed to deliver the game we said we were going to deliver.

While we did update Elemental: War of Magic (you can still download v1.4). Its design just wasn't adequate to make it into the kind of game it should be. So we decided to start over. From scratch. We made a new game called Fallen Enchantress.

So even though it's been two years, we haven't forgotten about you. This week, we released Fallen Enchantress. It is a vastly better game and, we believe, lives up to the expectations set for the original Elemental. This game is yours. Free. It's already been added to your account.

You can download and play it by going to http://download.stardock.com.

We hope you enjoy Fallen Enchantress. Please feel free to visit the Elemental forum at www.elementalgame.com if you wish to talk to me and the rest of the team. We're there and very interested in your feedback.

Thank you for being our customers and your patience.

Bulldog13

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2002
Been playing this game for a large chunk of today. Absolutely adore it. As has been stated before, it is a solid mix of HoMM and Civ. Perfect. It is truly a successor to Master of Magic. I like how when your heroes are defeated in battle, instead of disappearing, they appear back at a city with a negative trait like "One-eyed" or some such. I love the unit customization. Judging by the sheer number of techs and how many I have gotten so far after having played a few hours, I am starting to think that games may last AWHILE, which is definately OK in my book.

Only thing I have to gripe about is no multi-player :( Hopefully, they ll patch that in soon.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
anyone having trouble downloading this thing? I got the free copy from buying the turd that was elemental but when i go to download it from stardock it gives me some read error.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
Got some time to play this and I'm glad I gave it another shot. It is vastly improved over what it was a few years ago. It still isn't a completely polished product, there are some minor bugs and the UI still needs some work, but it is very playable. As others have noted, it plays like a mix between HoMM and Civilization, and they pulled it off pretty damn well.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
After playing it all.day Saturday, I beat a large map with 7 opponents. While the early game is quite frustrating with the AI being very aggressive, making it very difficult to survive the early going, the end game is very good. Once you are strong enough to hold off the AI and fight back, it gets pretty fun and plays like most 4X games.

The best part of the game is the end though. The option to offer the opponent to surrender, rather than mop up his last few units and towns works great! This option also gives you their Sovereign as a hero to boot! It really solves that problem where you are bored trying to mop up the last of the enemy units.

The real part that I love of the end game is the epic quests. I find that conquering every last nation gets repetitive and boring on large maps on civ games once you are stronger than every one else. The diplomatic and space victories are even more boring though, but running the quests between wars getting cool gear for your sovereign and champions is a lot of fun. The master quest itself is quite fun too! As a warning, you will need a bad-ass stack of doom to beat it. I found that having two dragons in the stack makes it much easier.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
After playing it all.day Saturday, I beat a large map with 7 opponents. While the early game is quite frustrating with the AI being very aggressive, making it very difficult to survive the early going, the end game is very good. Once you are strong enough to hold off the AI and fight back, it gets pretty fun and plays like most 4X games.

The best part of the game is the end though. The option to offer the opponent to surrender, rather than mop up his last few units and towns works great! This option also gives you their Sovereign as a hero to boot! It really solves that problem where you are bored trying to mop up the last of the enemy units.

The real part that I love of the end game is the epic quests. I find that conquering every last nation gets repetitive and boring on large maps on civ games once you are stronger than every one else. The diplomatic and space victories are even more boring though, but running the quests between wars getting cool gear for your sovereign and champions is a lot of fun. The master quest itself is quite fun too! As a warning, you will need a bad-ass stack of doom to beat it. I found that having two dragons in the stack makes it much easier.

Boy you are fast. I spent the entire weekend trying different factions, different traits and different school of magic. Also just starting over and over just to have some good starting location.

The game is fun for sure, but like you said the start is quite difficult. My freaking level 2 champions are getting raped by strong and deadly monsters just roaming around. And the starting location is so random, you can start out in the nowhere with no shard, no essence, little material, or you can start right by the river with 3 essence, bunch of shard and other resources. Sometimes you get 3, 4 5 champions close to your starting point, and sometime you get 1 and that's it. They should have balance out the starting location on resources and champion a little bit so luck doesn't play too much into winning the game.

But other than dated graphic, I find this game more interesting than civ5 so far (never really got into civ4) The combat element is more fun, the variety in magic/combat tech is pretty good. A good game to kill time for sure.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I need to stop reading reviews of games on this board. Now I'm itching to buy this and I just bought XCom and Kings Bounty in the last 10 days.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
I played MoM a lot in the past. The only disadvantage was that the combination Trolls + Flying was simply unbeatable, especially if you also had invisibility. Mobs couldn't see you and therefor couldn't hit you back, and even those that could see you usually couldn't reach flying units. So the only moment where they could hit you back was when you'd hit them, but since trolls had high regen you'd simply hit, wait 1 or 2 turns and hit again. It would take a while but even the strongest mobs would be without a chance against several war trolls that way.

Wonder how strong spells are in this version, whether there is a similar combination of spells and units here.