FAJITAS....one step closer.

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hey all,

Today, got one step closer to making GREAT fajitas at home. I got my inspiration from the chinese students in my graduate video class. They made videos of them cooking (frying everything), and I noticed how hot they set their stoves to stir fry stuff. I realized that I always go really easy on the temp. Well, this time, I turned the skillet up to about 9, and nuked the hell out of the fajitas. The water cooks out of the veggies, the meat sweats a little, the seasonaings begin to mix with all the juice, and then, really quickly at the end, all the moisture cooks out almost completely, and the stuff begins to really grill and fry on the skillet, giving it that singed flavor, and cooking the spices in, and the whole thing gets a thick, gravyish thing going on. THAT'S HOW IT'S DONE! It definitely made all the difference. In the past, may fajitas have always been so bland.
Well, now that I know HOW to cook them, there's only one thing: WTF spices do I use? I used McCormick fajita seasoning, and, I mean, COME ON. That's not authentic-tasting at all. It's like MSG and red coloring, with maybe a little pepper in it. What spices do Mexicans use in fajitas to give them that distinct flavor? If anyone knows, I'm all ears.

Ricky
DesignDawg

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< I don't like fajitas. >>

Thanks for that. Really. I think you need sleep.

Ricky
DesignDawg

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
I like fajitas :) Sometimes it seems like there is a lemon flavor to the chicken meat, maybe it's marinated in lemon juice before the grilling?

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< Sometimes it seems like there is a lemon flavor to the chicken meat, maybe it's marinated in lemon juice before the grilling? >>

Definitely in some places. Even if not, I almost ALWAYS squeeze lemon on mine before eating them. A lot of restaurants will actually leave the lemon wedges in it, over to the side. If I see that there are not lemon wedges in it, I will ask for some.

Ricky
DesignDawg

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Mmmmmmmm, Fajitas. Nothing like when they bring that sizzling plate out to your table. Are these chicken or steak fajitas you are talking about? I love the chicken fajitas. Can't help you on the spices, the only Mexican food I have managed to make halfway decent are quesadillas.

Vincent

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I just marinate the chicken in some lemon juice and black pepper. Do you use a paper towel to pat dry the chicken and vegetable before frying?

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I love Fajitas if they are done right, wish I could get the peppers/onions/chicken thing done right. They're delicious, can be a little spicy but overall a great food.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
When I visit hzl next weekend, we're going to go to her cousin's Mexican restaurant. I'll be sure to report back with a fajita rating. :D

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
what you should do is this:

turn up the stove to HIGH to heat the pan\skillet\wok, and add oil. wait for the oil to be hot, and add your ingredients as you should. make sure you don't burn the oil. adding the ingredients will cool the pan, so leave it on HIGH for a few seconds, or a minute depending on what you're doing. then lower the stove to medium or medium high depending on what you're cooking.

YOU NEED THE HEAT PEOPLE...

and make sure that oil is hot. but don't be careless or stupid =)

and make sure you take note that non-stick surfaces act like a insulator, so the pan won't get as hot as you would like... depending on the pan.

i have all non stick cookware. my next purchase will be stainless steel, and then copper clad =)

i spent more on my cookware (knives, pans, and stuff) than i did on my computer during the past year.

the sad thing is, i can't cook that well ;-)

MrCraphead

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
Fajita's are awesome, once you've refined the technique, post it here and let all of us know. :) For some women, men in the kitchen is a major turn on. ;)

GReddyLude

Mar 7, 2001
<<yakko: I don't like fajitas.
EvanFerguson: i agree with yakko :p
>>

So what does that mean? That you agree that yakko doesn't like fajitas? :confused: In that case, I agree with yakko too!

My experience with fajitas is that marinating the meat (either steak or chicken usually) does the trick. I don't have a regular recipe, but I toss some meat in a zip-lock bag, then drain some Tabasco sauce, a bit of dijon mustard, salt, pepper, a lime if handy, cumin, and crushed garlic. Then, when you saute the meat and veggies (yellow onions, green and red peppers, lots and lots of 'shrooms, and sometimes even squash), toss in a tablespoon or so of butter right befor you turn the heat off to thicken the juices into a gravy-like...uh...gravy. Serve with guacamole (or I use avocado slices if I have the money), cheese, sour cream, and Bean-O.

Then, prepare yourself for a triple bypass that'd make Dick Cheney look like a marathon runner.