Fahrenheit 11/9 Michael Moore's new documentary

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
OK, I haven't seen it yet, will when convenient for me. But any work of art that purportedly points to a way out of the conundrum that is present day America is going to get my attention, and I heard it does address that. I used to be an optimist, but I've been really under pressure of what I've been seeing to not write off America as a lost cause... not good.

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
OK, I haven't seen it yet, will when convenient for me. But any work of art that purportedly points to a way out of the conundrum that is present day America is going to get my attention, and I heard it does address that. I used to be an optimist, but I've been really under pressure of what I've been seeing.
There is no way out. Conservatives have weaponized the distribution of their message for decades. Half of Americans believe that anything liberals support is designed to destroy American freedom. All we can do is wait until they finally convince enough of them that we need to be exterminated so we can fight back. Enjoy the ride.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There is no way out. Conservatives have weaponized the distribution of their message for decades. Half of Americans believe that anything liberals support is designed to destroy American freedom. All we can do is wait until they finally convince enough of them that we need to be exterminated so we can fight back. Enjoy the ride.
People who harbor illusions can have their minds changed. I have to believe that.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Coming from you, I doubt this. Trump being perfectly reliable to deliver wrong info, you are immediately suspect for supporting him.

Sounds like you didn't click the link, it is Michael Moore talking.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
People who harbor illusions can have their minds changed. I have to believe that.
The science says being brought to the brink of destruction is the only thing that has a chance to snap them out of it, and even then it doesn't always work.

Think about the conservatives that hated Obamacare right up until the point that it saved their life or the life of someone they love.

Reactions: greatnoob

greatnoob

Jan 6, 2014
The science says being brought to the brink of destruction is the only thing that has a chance to snap them out of it, and even then it doesn't always work.

Think about the conservatives that hated Obamacare right up until the point that it saved their life or the life of someone they love.
Never forget the “Obamacare is communism” signs held by protesting Conservatards who were themselves, benefitting from it lol

Reactions: Thebobo

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Is it the same belief you have in god? If it is, I've got some bad news for you.
It has nothing to do with God... or everything, if you want to be metaphysical about all this. I for one do not bring up theological issues as a reflex like so many people who are mired in confusion and doubt.

There's the Donovan line I like, "book of doubt I cast you out."

Or another I really like that's a lot funnier: "This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown aside with great force" - Dorothy Parker

Last edited:

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
He uses selective editing no different than the hit piece done on ACORN that outraged many liberals but somehow is OK when Micheal Moore does it.
A few examples
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Bowling_for_Columbine

In one infamous scene, a bank offers a free rifle to anyone who opens an account with them. Moore is shown walking into the bank, opening an account, and walking out with a rifle in his hands. In actual fact, banks are just a wee bit skittish when it comes to customers bearing firearms on their property. The event was staged; the bank in question actually only offered a gift certificate for a free rifle from the gun store down the street from it, which required all the standard background checks to obtain.
https://www.kibin.com/essay-example...wling-for-columbine-by-michael-moore-vU8a9agw
In the movie, "Bowling for Columbine," Michael Moore is a genius when it comes to his editing choices concerning Charlton Heston and the NRA. Using a few well placed insert shots Moore is able to bring the attention away from Heston long enough to change around parts of his speech and shorten dialogues. By means of crosscuts he is able to make it seem as if though Heston is talking insensitively to the weeping children of Columbine. All of this is an attempt to incriminate Heston by deception. Moore gives the story, but emphasizes the parts that promote his argument. By means of the numerous little editing "tweaks" mentioned above, Michael Moore is able to use "Bowling for Columbine" as propaganda against the NRA and make Charlton Heston the antagonist villain.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
He uses selective editing no different than the hit piece done on ACORN that outraged many liberals but somehow is OK when Micheal Moore does it.
A few examples

the difference is its a entertainment/humor/documentary not sent to news outlets and tried to be presented as news like Okeaf or whatever his names is always does.

See?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I just saw this movie on Amazon... and frankly, it wasn't a good documentary. The subject matter just wandered all over the place... I couldn't decide if it was an Anti-Trump movie, an Anti-Democratic establishment movie, an Anti-Rick Snyder movie, an Anti-Mainstream press movie, or an Anti-NRA movie. He was just spewing hatred and criticism all over, and it all seemed really disjointed.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I just saw this movie on Amazon... and frankly, it wasn't a good documentary. The subject matter just wandered all over the place... I couldn't decide if it was an Anti-Trump movie, an Anti-Democratic establishment movie, an Anti-Rick Snyder movie, an Anti-Mainstream press movie, or an Anti-NRA movie. He was just spewing hatred and criticism all over, and it all seemed really disjointed.
Well, there's a lot of reasons to disparage all those things, except I don't know who Rick Snyder is. Hey, there's a cool Ramones song: I'm Against It.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
A few examples
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Bowling_for_Columbine

LOl don't come here and link an article from wacky wiki. The very fact that you get you4r information from "rationalwiki" shows how ignorant you are. And I bet your proud of it.

So I take it you think the earth is 6k years old then.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Always had mixed-feelings about Michael Moore. He's fundamentally on the right side, but he has a sloppy, tabloid style that I'm not sure is the best approach. On the other hand, he was bang on in spotting that Trump was likely to win, when few other liberals could see it coming.