FAH command line interface for Ubuntu and derivatives

Nephross

Apr 20, 2020
Hi all,

Since I fold mainly on linux, I found the lack of a cli for the folding at home client more than a little annoying.

Then I remembered I'm a software developer and could probably cobble together something that would serve my purpose.
But why stop there? perhaps some of you have features you would like to see in a tool like this?

Currently command list is:
Commands:

--help ----------------- Show this message
--version ----------------- Print out current version of fah-cli
stats [donor Name] ----------------- Performs curl request to fetch donor stats
showlog [?number of lines to display] ----------------- Prints the current log.txt
showconf ----------------- Prints the current config.xml
clientversion ----------------- Shows dpkg information about the fahclient
controlversion ----------------- Shows dpkg information about fahcontrol
clientstatus ----------------- Prints the fahclients status
startclient ----------------- Starts the fahclient
stopclient ----------------- Stops the fahclient
restartclient ----------------- Restarts the fahclient

It should be noted that some of the commands require sudo privilege, which is not ideal but can't really be helped.

So, like I said, do you have any wishes for such a tool? any concerns?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Use FAHControl to do all your stuff. A lot easier than the command line interface.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Here is a previous brief discussion about related issues:
Folding@home: FAHClient config & control manual page
The top post has pointers to documentation. The rest of the thread has got some simple code examples on using FAHClient's remote control interface via tools such as netcat as well as via python3 programs.

(PS, IMO it's very sad that all of the major Linux distributions remove python support, as required for a large legacy code base, e.g. for FAHControl, without coming up with a compatible alternative.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nephross

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I think I have python support on all my boxes. I do this as part of my install. That does not enable python support ?

sudo apt-get -y install python-gnome2 mesa-common-dev freeglut3-dev nvidia-settings gedit

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Indeed, now that your are pointing it out, I see that several big distributions still keep a python-2.7 package in their main repository. I probably worry too much. (I don't have an overview of their roadmaps though, and what the general status of the many peripheral packages is.)