[FaD] Status of the Hordes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Freewolf

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Spacehead
I'm not on the FaD TeAm but here's my 2 cents. Smok'em if ya got 'em! :D

As petrusbroder said, if some one has a problem with it, it's their problem not yours. I doubt anyone on the TeAm will make a fuss.
The real question is why aren't you on the team Spacehead ?
:p

sharder8

Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: BlackMountainCow
I'm one of the minor producers for FaD with about 50,000 points per week. It took me quite some time to get into the TeAm's top 50 recently and I'm even thinking of adding yet another cruncher to gain some more ground. But honestly, what you "top dawgs" at the top do doesn't really matter to me. I don't mean this in a insulting way, but it's just a given fact that there are folks with just a few PCs and some folks with loads of PCs, just like you mondo.

A long time ago I accepted that I as a normal user not working with computers for a living will never make it to the very top in a DC project in the loing run. But that's really fine for me. I just crunch away and slowly climb the ladders, pass some folks and get passed by others. In that respect, it doesn't matter to me what you do up there in the top 3 ranks. But if you really have such a oportunity at your hands, I say "go for it" and give TA a major boost and make the Cows tumble!

:beer:

Ya' can only do what ya' can do BlackMountainCow :cool: , but ya' don't have to be in the computer business to be one of the top 50 dawg's either! :D

Mondo knows me and knows that I'm not working in the computer business anymore, (not working at all at the moment) and I'm in the top 40 world wide. Also, I've currently got my herd spread out between 2 teams and will be adding the next computer to a third team. :D

Oh, BTW, when it comes to passing and being passed . . . Try to stay steady and add when ya' can (remotes ?), I've been passed by some, only to pass them again later. :p Some of the big guns seem to like taking breaks where they don't crunch [FAD] for a while. :Q

Harder

P.S. Yeah, I finally am able to post over here! :)

Freewolf

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2001
Originally posted by: sharder8
Originally posted by: BlackMountainCow
I'm one of the minor producers for FaD with about 50,000 points per week. It took me quite some time to get into the TeAm's top 50 recently and I'm even thinking of adding yet another cruncher to gain some more ground. But honestly, what you "top dawgs" at the top do doesn't really matter to me. I don't mean this in a insulting way, but it's just a given fact that there are folks with just a few PCs and some folks with loads of PCs, just like you mondo.

A long time ago I accepted that I as a normal user not working with computers for a living will never make it to the very top in a DC project in the loing run. But that's really fine for me. I just crunch away and slowly climb the ladders, pass some folks and get passed by others. In that respect, it doesn't matter to me what you do up there in the top 3 ranks. But if you really have such a oportunity at your hands, I say "go for it" and give TA a major boost and make the Cows tumble!

Ya' can only do what ya' can do BlackMountainCow :cool: , but ya' don't have to be in the computer business to be one of the top 50 dawg's either! :D

Mondo knows me and knows that I'm not working in the computer business anymore, (not working at all at the moment) and I'm in the top 40 world wide. Also, I've currently got my herd spread out between 2 teams and will be adding the next computer to a third team. :D

Oh, BTW, when it comes to passing and being passed . . . Try to stay steady and add when ya' can (remotes ?), I've been passed by some, only to pass them again later. :p Some of the big guns seem to like taking breaks where they don't crunch [FAD] for a while. :Q

Harder

P.S. Yeah, I finally am able to post over here! :)
Hi Sharder'Great to see you posting over here. Feel free to add a machine or two to Anandtech and make us your fourth team :p

sharder8

Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Freewolf

Hi Sharder'Great to see you posting over here. Feel free to add a machine or two to Anandtech and make us your fourth team :p

Well, Freewolf . . . I'll tell ya' the truth . . . :Q

Wifey made me promise to drop over half the herd in the house (25 down to no more than 11, preferably 8) last spring. :( I actually did get down to 13 sometime back in May, but currently I'm back up to 21. :eek: Anyway, I just got reminded/told that I need to start shedding some systems again last week. :( So, I'll be shipping a couple to my Sister in N. MN to continue as remotes and a couple to other relatives (as remotes)

In the mean time, wifey okayed for me to expand my home network to include wireless . . . (I've failed to route the cable to her computer under the house and she demanded a way for me to get the cable off the living and dining room floor for her computer and off the kitchen floor for her recipe box. She's also not happy about the cable on the floor in the master bath going to the computer sitting on top of the toilet tank. :roll: ) So, I've got a couple USB wireless adapters on the way, and today I informed her that I needed a couple WAP's to complete the job. :D (Just got permission to get up to 3 WAP's! :p)

The bottom line is I'll be able to hide some more systems from prying eyes by moving the WAP and switch out of sight! ;)

Harder

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: mondobyte
I ALWAYS get permission, in writing, triplicate copies, before FaD touches a client. We write up a "contract" as to what will and will not happen and how problems with the FaD client get "handled". The basic position is that FaD gets to run until it disrupts the client and at that point it (FaD) is history. I've already removed FaD from several networks just because of THINK (Keith's) stupidity and lack of vision.

I do agree that many who cannot compete cry foul out of jealousy, a feeling of inferiority, your basic of "penis envy" (for lack of a better term) if I may.

Most of my detractors on the FaD forums are ne'er do wells whose contribution to the project is a huge amount of steam and very little else. Most of my biggest critics wish they could manage 1% of my output ... and don't (either because of a lack of imagination, a lack of skill, a lack of knowledge, or a total lack of intelligence) ... it seems that there is no way to search for a cure for stupid -- yet. I am sure my comments will meet with derision and castigation. Oh well ... I am the least PC of FaD supporters and am the most likely to speak bluntly.

Bringing another 600+ computers online will be a slow and arduous process and may take a bit of time to complete. I suspect I can only manage 50 a day ... or so. It will not be something that will happen overnight unless I get a lot of help.

We shall see if I can get final approval and then I will post a preliminary plan/schedule (if things go right) ... We shall see. It is an opportunity that I could not pass up. ;)

I already make a significant contribution to FaD but that seems to be completely intolerable to many at FaD.

Indeed! I'm with Geoff...you GO GO GO! :thumbsup:

Freewolf

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2001
Originally posted by: sharder8
Originally posted by: Freewolf

Well, Freewolf . . . I'll tell ya' the truth . . . :Q

Wifey made me promise to drop over half the herd in the house (25 down to no more than 11, preferably 8) last spring. :( I actually did get down to 13 sometime back in May, but currently I'm back up to 21. :eek: Anyway, I just got reminded/told that I need to start shedding some systems again last week. :( So, I'll be shipping a couple to my Sister in N. MN to continue as remotes and a couple to other relatives (as remotes)

In the mean time, wifey okayed for me to expand my home network to include wireless . . . (I've failed to route the cable to her computer under the house and she demanded a way for me to get the cable off the living and dining room floor for her computer and off the kitchen floor for her recipe box. She's also not happy about the cable on the floor in the master bath going to the computer sitting on top of the toilet tank. :roll: ) So, I've got a couple USB wireless adapters on the way, and today I informed her that I needed a couple WAP's to complete the job. :D (Just got permission to get up to 3 WAP's! :p)

The bottom line is I'll be able to hide some more systems from prying eyes by moving the WAP and switch out of sight! ;)

Harder

OF course you still have to explain why the power bill is going up instead of down.

waitman

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2002
Go Mondobyte, I am behind you all the way. I know that you do fad for the good of mankind. You deserve every point that you get, as you have worked your ass off to get them. I also know that the points are not the main objective to you, but the end results, some cure for some dreaded disease. You talked me into joining the team as I am sure that you have so many. I haven't heard you brag about that or take the credit. I have two machines that run fad, one donated to me by you, occasionally 3 maybe 4. In my current situation, that is all I am able to do. I have tried talking to other people about running fad, without much success. I guess I need to learn some of your sales ability :) As far as what others think bad about you, doesn't concern me at all. I know where your heart is, and you are a very generous man. Just let me say thanks! And ramp up 6 or seven hundred more! Can't wait to see you in the top spot. Man, your wife must really love you! :) I can just see the pc on top of the toilet lid, Gave me a chuckle

Also thanks to everyone on TA FAD Great group here, Glad to crunch for this team