[FaD] Status of the Hordes

mondobyte

Jun 28, 2004
TeAM mates ... the hordes are back ... and with a vengeance!

I believe I can quickly reclaim 8th then 7th and then, perhaps, 6th. 5th, which would make me a "major player" may remain a bit elusive.

I don't know that I can "manage" clients exceeding the 100 range. It takes a lot of time and TLC. I'd rather spend that time on vacation with my bride.

Even so ... it appears that I can sustain a bit more than a hundred nodes in the long haul.

Thanks

mondo

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Are the majority of your machines on 24/7? Or do the users turn them off during non-business hours?

If I could convince the folks at my remote office to leave the computers there on all the time (now that they are back online) I suspect I could approach 80K or more per day. As it is, I'll be happy with the ~40K I'm trying to realistically expect.

In the meantime, it will be very nice to have a teammate back INSIDE the top 10 again! :D

mondobyte

Jun 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Fardringle
Are the majority of your machines on 24/7? Or do the users turn them off during non-business hours?

If I could convince the folks at my remote office to leave the computers there on all the time (now that they are back online) I suspect I could approach 80K or more per day. As it is, I'll be happy with the ~40K I'm trying to realistically expect.

In the meantime, it will be very nice to have a teammate back INSIDE the top 10 again! :D

With, literally, one or two exceptions, they all run 24x7.

I can give you some suggestions as to methods to predispose the folks at the remote office to run the computers 24x7 ...

mondo

mondobyte

Jun 28, 2004
TeAM

I have an interesting dilemma. I have the opportunity to add an additional 600-700 computers to the hordes.

This would make mondobyte well over a 90% contributor to the TeAM -- perhaps more than a 99% contributor. The generally accepted belief that the 1-2 computer contributor is the mainstay to most teams would no longer apply to Anandtch. The reality would swiftly be relegated to the status of an urban myth. In essence, mondobyte would relegate all other members of the team to relative insignificance. I want a strong team with strong team spirit. Team spirit is an absolute necessity.

My concern is that such an addition to the hordes would serve to destroy this FaD team rather than challenge everyone to relegate me to the status of a minor contributor through a huge and magnificent recruitment effort. I'd love for the TeAM to, at minimum, match my output ... and, optimally, to lessen my contribution to under the present 30%.

I am leaning to the option to fragment the population of computers between many "alter-egos" and many teams so as to make the impact insignificant or invisible as much as is possible to individual teams and to FaD. I've already done this to some extent. I have far more points than are currently attributed to mondobyte. I have been encouraged to join them all into a monolithic mondobyte but I have resisted.

Another option is for me to consolidate all my points under mondobyte and become a team all by myself. I am very certain that 700+ computers would make a fair showing as a team. I would genuinely miss the team spirit and commraderie that this team represents although it has waned remarkably over the summer.

Yet another option is for me to commit those computers to other projects so as not to further disrupt this team or FaD. I am not altogether sure that THINK likes or appreciates my efforts. I am too "outspoken" and "critical" of the shortcomings of the project.

Your thoughts [edit] required [/edit] please.

mondo

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
In the end, the only one that can really decide is you. I can't speak for anyone else, but the only way I can honestly answer this question is by what I would do if I was in the same situation. If I had the chance to put hundreds of computers to work on the FaD project I would GLADLY do it! Not even counting the number of points that would add to our team's output (and possibly even help us steal back the #4 spot), that's a HUGE amount of research potential for the project! :)

As far as causing problems within the team, the only forseeable problem I can think of is a few idiots on other teams screaming foul (and other worse things I can't print here ;)), and possibly making some of the rest of us jealous enough to try and find even MORE production for the team. :D

Anandtech is very unique (from what I have seen) in the Distributed Computing world. Apart from the effect it can have on the success of the team as a whole, nobody here cares how many points each member produces each day. It could be 1 point or 1 million points. The important thing is that we're all part of the TeAm and we help each other to do the best we can with the resources we have available.

edit: By the way, the reason so many of the computers at that office get turned off at night is because their air conditioning really sucks (i.e. it doesn't blow nearly enough :evil: ) so they turn the PCs off whenever they can so it doesn't get too hot in the office. As soon as the weather starts to cool down, I suspect most of them will be on 24/7 again. :)

mondobyte

Jun 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Fardringle
... the only forseeable problem I can think of is a few idiots on other teams screaming foul (and other worse things I can't print here ;))
Unfortunately ... I can foresee many others and many teams uttering [expletive deleted] and simply crying foul would not be in that vocabulary.

[edit]I can easily envision me becoming more controversial and conderably more despicable at the FaD forums ... particularly, among the ne'er do wells. [/edit]

Thanks for your sincere input Fardringle.

mondobyte

Jun 28, 2004
Let those on this team understand, my support for the situation in the Gulf comes first, irrespective of FaD. I have made significant cash contributions to that effort. My heart is for those who suffer.

I will continue to support this project as I can but make no mistake that I would idle any or all of my computers if I felt that was warranted to divert resources to the Gulf.

Thanks for your support.

My bride and I will make additional contributions to the Gulf as conditions warrant. I do what I can with what I have.

Thanks

Freewolf

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2001
Well I can tell you this. If I had the chance to add 700 computers to the RA I would sure do so and as fast as possible.
I say go for it.

ecvs85

Mar 4, 2005
Me too, I don't have any problem about adding and joining the output of 700 computers under "mondobyte" nick. I would be happier instead :D

Slatzman

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2002
Mondo...I think it would be a fantastic thing if you could bring that many computers into the fray.

First of all it would be great for FAD...bottom line that is the most important.

Second, the TeAm would benefit...I am fairly sure you do not have to worry about the people around here...we tend to band together and support...not tear each other down.

And lastly...if you add 700 computers to the Mondo nick..that just means we have to recruit 700 more "little" guys to the TeAm to even out that production :D...sounds like a nice challenge to me!!!

Slatz

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Let it RIP mondo! Crank out as much work at you can, it's for a great cause and the TeAm could definately use the points. :D :thumbsup:

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Oh, if you like I'll give you my email so you can set them all up under my FaD account! LOL :p

mondobyte

Jun 28, 2004
Originally posted by: BadThad
Oh, if you like I'll give you my email so you can set them all up under my FaD account! LOL :p
Yeah ... sure ... you betcha

send your email address and $100 per client to: ... ;)

GeoffS

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: mondobyte
TeAM

I have an interesting dilemma. I have the opportunity to add an additional 600-700 computers to the hordes.

This would make mondobyte well over a 90% contributor to the TeAM -- perhaps more than a 99% contributor. The generally accepted belief that the 1-2 computer contributor is the mainstay to most teams would no longer apply to Anandtch. The reality would swiftly be relegated to the status of an urban myth. In essence, mondobyte would relegate all other members of the team to relative insignificance. I want a strong team with strong team spirit. Team spirit is an absolute necessity.

My concern is that such an addition to the hordes would serve to destroy this FaD team rather than challenge everyone to relegate me to the status of a minor contributor through a huge and magnificent recruitment effort. I'd love for the TeAM to, at minimum, match my output ... and, optimally, to lessen my contribution to under the present 30%.

I am leaning to the option to fragment the population of computers between many "alter-egos" and many teams so as to make the impact insignificant or invisible as much as is possible to individual teams and to FaD. I've already done this to some extent. I have far more points than are currently attributed to mondobyte. I have been encouraged to join them all into a monolithic mondobyte but I have resisted.

Another option is for me to consolidate all my points under mondobyte and become a team all by myself. I am very certain that 700+ computers would make a fair showing as a team. I would genuinely miss the team spirit and commraderie that this team represents although it has waned remarkably over the summer.

Yet another option is for me to commit those computers to other projects so as not to further disrupt this team or FaD. I am not altogether sure that THINK likes or appreciates my efforts. I am too "outspoken" and "critical" of the shortcomings of the project.

Your thoughts [edit] required [/edit] please.

mondo

I don't think it's required to go to all the trouble of alteregos... none of our egos are big enough (I think) that we'll be irreversibly damaged by having you slay our output on a daily basis! While we can't catch you, there's plenty of other fair game out there for us to target, not to mention achieving personal goals! Don't sweat it... it's good for the project, good for the TeAm, and good for you too!

Geoff

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: mondobyte
Originally posted by: BadThad
Yeah ... sure ... you betcha

send your email address and $100 per client to: ... ;)

Is that rate after the coupon? rofl :p

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Steven you are the king of FaD imho

adding more computers won't change that mate :p

Man, The wake that will churn when you fire them puppies up will be awesome!!!

"Scotty, I need more power, warp 9 isn't enough!" "Cap't I just figured out a way to double quadrouple our best warp speed" "Scotty what the hell did you do, I am still picking stars out of my teeth" :D

"ENGAGE";)

Mike

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
I'm one of the minor producers for FaD with about 50,000 points per week. It took me quite some time to get into the TeAm's top 50 recently and I'm even thinking of adding yet another cruncher to gain some more ground. But honestly, what you "top dawgs" at the top do doesn't really matter to me. I don't mean this in a insulting way, but it's just a given fact that there are folks with just a few PCs and some folks with loads of PCs, just like you mondo.

A long time ago I accepted that I as a normal user not working with computers for a living will never make it to the very top in a DC project in the loing run. But that's really fine for me. I just crunch away and slowly climb the ladders, pass some folks and get passed by others. In that respect, it doesn't matter to me what you do up there in the top 3 ranks. But if you really have such a oportunity at your hands, I say "go for it" and give TA a major boost and make the Cows tumble!

:beer:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Wolfsraider
Steven you are the king of FaD imho

adding more computers won't change that mate :p

Man, The wake that will churn when you fire them puppies up will be awesome!!!

"Scotty, I need more power, warp 9 isn't enough!" "Cap't I just figured out a way to double quadrouple our best warp speed" "Scotty what the hell did you do, I am still picking stars out of my teeth" :D

"ENGAGE";)

Mike

This quote, and all the other quotes above mirror my opinion. Although I do not crunch FaD (yet), I myself think that you should add all the comps you can.

If a project coordinator or a programmer can not take that, that is his problem, not yours. IMHO, if he does not want you to crunch the project, then he has to tell you to stop. And then maybe give a reason. If he does tell you to stop, it is still your decision what you will do.

What others think or feel about your horde is not your problem, it is theirs. Whatever they write, do not let that get to you, it is mostly a feeling of inferiority because they can not match your output and your contribution to the team (=Team Anandtech).

They may - however - feel you fight dirty because they feel that a team member should only work with the comps he or she owns. Now, that may be a valid point but if and only if there has been a previous agreemant or contract to that matter.

Just to be on the safe side, I would make very sure that it is OK for me to run the project on the comps which do not belong to me. If possible in writing.

It may be that there is a person who might want to find a beloved patriot in your armour and exploit it. It is also your decision to get an OK, and nobody else's.

As Mike said: "ENGAGE!"

mondobyte

Jun 28, 2004
I ALWAYS get permission, in writing, triplicate copies, before FaD touches a client. We write up a "contract" as to what will and will not happen and how problems with the FaD client get "handled". The basic position is that FaD gets to run until it disrupts the client and at that point it (FaD) is history. I've already removed FaD from several networks just because of THINK (Keith's) stupidity and lack of vision.

I do agree that many who cannot compete cry foul out of jealousy, a feeling of inferiority, your basic of "penis envy" (for lack of a better term) if I may.

Most of my detractors on the FaD forums are ne'er do wells whose contribution to the project is a huge amount of steam and very little else. Most of my biggest critics wish they could manage 1% of my output ... and don't (either because of a lack of imagination, a lack of skill, a lack of knowledge, or a total lack of intelligence) ... it seems that there is no way to search for a cure for stupid -- yet. I am sure my comments will meet with derision and castigation. Oh well ... I am the least PC of FaD supporters and am the most likely to speak bluntly.

Bringing another 600+ computers online will be a slow and arduous process and may take a bit of time to complete. I suspect I can only manage 50 a day ... or so. It will not be something that will happen overnight unless I get a lot of help.

We shall see if I can get final approval and then I will post a preliminary plan/schedule (if things go right) ... We shall see. It is an opportunity that I could not pass up. ;)

I already make a significant contribution to FaD but that seems to be completely intolerable to many at FaD.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I'm not on the FaD TeAm but here's my 2 cents. Smok'em if ya got 'em! :D

As petrusbroder said, if some one has a problem with it, it's their problem not yours. I doubt anyone on the TeAm will make a fuss.