Ross Whitehead

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2002
Welcome to our newest member Coquito.

The following teams have moved up the ranking ladder since the last stats:

mondobyte

Jun 28, 2004
Welcome Coquito.

Every client counts BadThad. That pIII-1gHz system is just as important as any other. It just might process the job that leads to the "magic bullet" for Cancer or another malady.

Keep 'em crunching ...

xComputerManiacx

May 8, 2004
Thanks for the stats, Ross!

Looks like we're expanding our lead over Ukraine again. And quickly gaining on Deep Thought too. Yay!

kreb

Oct 23, 2002
Same here! All I have running is an Athlon XP1600+ on Windows XP SP2. My wife doesn't approve of leaving the computer on all the time because of the electrical costs..

mondobyte

Jun 28, 2004
Originally posted by: kreb
Same here! All I have running is an Athlon XP1600+ on Windows XP SP2. My wife doesn't approve of leaving the computer on all the time because of the electrical costs..
Try at least a dozen computers here ... the wife certainly has her "opinions" here as well

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Interesting. I installed FaD on 3 bare crunchers as a second priority(behind seti) over 2 weeks ago. I had just about given up, figuring they didn't have enough ram(128) to handle both loads.

Freewolf

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Coquito
Interesting. I installed FaD on 3 bare crunchers as a second priority(behind seti) over 2 weeks ago. I had just about given up, figuring they didn't have enough ram(128) to handle both loads.

Seti just doesn't give them any cpu time to do any processing so if you happen to get a big work unit with a large number of hits it could take quite a while to complete.

Freewolf

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2001
Originally posted by: mondobyte
Originally posted by: kreb
Try at least a dozen computers here ... the wife certainly has her "opinions" here as well

hehe I know what you mean, I had as many as 18 at the house before.

mondobyte

Jun 28, 2004
... and you know ... there are some legal ways to reduce the electric bill ... i.e., redistribute your load across the 2 phases of your electrical panel so they are nearly balanced. I use a clip-on ammeter and periodically swap loads between breakers (swap to the other phase) ... works pretty well at reducing the electrical bill a lot. It's hard to keep the load balanced as usage changes but it does serve to produce a generally lower bill than doing nothing.

Don't be stupid and try anything illegal ... you are likely to get caught ... and the penalties can be steep ...

If you don't feel comfortable with messing around with your electrical panel yourself, hire an electrician ... I have a friend who is an electrician that does it for me but I also tinker from time to time.

Sure made a huge difference the first time we did it. Makes less of a difference now but still counts ... and nothing can be perfect ... but I hope I am only paying for what I actually use ...

Freewolf

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2001
Originally posted by: mondobyte
... and you know ... there are some legal ways to reduce the electric bill ... i.e., redistribute your load across the 2 phases of your electrical panel so they are nearly balanced. I use a clip-on ammeter and periodically swap loads between breakers (swap to the other phase) ... works pretty well at reducing the electrical bill a lot. It's hard to keep the load balanced as usage changes but it does serve to produce a generally lower bill than doing nothing.

Don't be stupid and try anything illegal ... you are likely to get caught ... and the penalties can be steep ...

If you don't feel comfortable with messing around with your electrical panel yourself, hire an electrician ... I have a friend who is an electrician that does it for me but I also tinker from time to time.

Sure made a huge difference the first time we did it. Makes less of a difference now but still counts ... and nothing can be perfect ... but I hope I am only paying for what I actually use ...

Not something I know anything about so I don't think I will be fooling with my fuse box.
I do have the computers in threee different rooms of the house on threee different breakers ( They kick the breakers otherwise.

mondobyte

Jun 28, 2004
It goes way beyond 3 breakers in 3 rooms ...

One must balance the entire load of the house between the two phases. ... I started out with an extremely unbalanced loading ... and bills in the 150-300 range ... now ... even with AC running and 17 computers running, I am down in the 75-175 range ...

I could probably do better ... but the savings that I see are enough for the moment. Whenever the bill rises ... I rebalance.

Saves a lot of loot !!!!

mondobyte

Jun 28, 2004
All of our DC brethren could profit from this ...

It is the amount that you send up the neutral that is the killer on the electric bill. Minimize that and we all win. It is entirely legal to swap circuits from one side to the other of 2-phase service. A clamp on AMMETER can be obtained at Leows for 25-70 depending on how fancy you want to get. The simpler one will work. If your electrical panel is as unbalanced as mine was ...you will recoup the cost of the AMMETER in the FIRST MONTH.

Of course, the load changes with day and night, spring, winter, summer, and fall -- so one must figure out an average situation which is beneficial. Peaks and valleys should be ignored. 220 V appliances are already balanced ... so ignore them.

Folks, this is a great opportunity for many of you. That spinning disk in a fishbowl is probably stealing most of you blind and you don't even know that you are paying for what you are NOT using ...not what you use.

Good luck.

BTW ... expect a visit or two from the power company if you do rebalance. Entirely legal. They will probably offer you a digital meter ... decline it at all costs. If you must, invite them to look at your panel. They have no right to but you are NOT HIDING anything and NOT doing ANYTHING illegal.

If you are questioned just say that you adjusted the load across the panel and that's all you need to say. As I said, this is absolutely 100% legal. Any electrician will agree with this scenario!!!!

As I said, I dropped way more than $70 off my bill every single month since I did it the first time. That is how to shut up the wife about running so many computers !!!!