Coffinmaker

Sep 15, 2010
Hey guys, anyone playing Factorio? There is a demo of it you can try (yes demos even in 2016). I tried the demo and loved it so I bought it. Right now it's got 99% positive reviews on steam and probably the highest I've ever seen. I'd like to know other people's thoughts on it. Thanks.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
I got my eye on this one but haven't played it yet let us know how it goes for you.

Also, is it similar to any other games old or new?

Coffinmaker

Sep 15, 2010
I haven't played it too much yet. Just the demo and a few minutes of the full version but it's all about automation. It really inspires you to think about layout and design. You're trying to build a factory that is as automated as possible. There are some good vids on it.

GusSmed

Feb 11, 2003
I've been playing Factorio off and on for years. Progress has been awfully slow, but on the positive side the developer understands that fixing bugs is a priority over implementing new features.

It's not feature complete, but it's still a real game at this point, and a very good one. The alien attacks are a little frustrating at first, but once you get the hang of pro-actively building walls and turrets before you get any serious attacks that aspect gets a lot better.

It scratches my Dwarf Fortress itch, but in a game that has a decent interface, is focused on being a game rather than an oddball simulation, and which is much better maintained.

My main long-term gripe is that the vanilla game doesn't encourage you to use rail networks enough. Demand for raw resources doesn't get severe enough unless you play long after the "end" of the game (launching a satellite, presently). Some of my best experiences were with mods that fiddled with resource costs and distribution to make rails a real necessity to "win" the game.

To wit:
IbwcF1l.jpg

Central train station:
PLBBaAs.jpg

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I've been looking at this one. I've been on the fence about buying it yet. I have this feeling that I'll like it for around 10 hours and then never play it again.

GusSmed

Feb 11, 2003
I have this feeling that I'll like it for around 10 hours and then never play it again.
This really depends on whether you're into the core concept or not. There's a community of people who have all put hundreds of hours into the game just because they like messing with building stuff. It's only a short game if the idea of putting together multi-step production lines doesn't appeal.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
My mind boggles at the thought of warehouses of people sitting at computers playing simulations of automation for hours and days and weeks at a time, surrounded by automated factories churning out humans whose only purpose is to simulate automated factories that make humans that make automation simulations forever and ever and ever and ever and ever.

I don't think I should try this.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
My mind boggles at the thought of warehouses of people sitting at computers playing simulations of automation for hours and days and weeks at a time, surrounded by automated factories churning out humans whose only purpose is to simulate automated factories that make humans that make automation simulations forever and ever and ever and ever and ever.

I don't think I should try this.

lighten up man.
:cool:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
While the actual mechanics are very different - Infinifactory is a 3D physics puzzle game, Factorio is a top-down 2D logistics game - I think the overlap between people who enjoy the two games is probably nearly 100%. Certainly I love both of them.

They should just make a game for those people where they are a lab rat and have to do things like run through mazes and press levers:)

GusSmed

Feb 11, 2003
They should just make a game for those people where they are a lab rat and have to do things like run through mazes and press levers:)
You're missing the point by a country mile. Infinifactory and Factorio are both primarily about creativity. You make stuff in both of them, and by and large solutions tend to be quite individual. Maybe not so much in the tutorial levels of Infinifactory, but once you get to any of the complex problems no two solutions are really the same.

People have done some really oddball things with the sandbox mode of Infinifactory. Notch made a Turing machine, for example. It's bulky and terribly slow, but it functions.

If you don't understand the appeal, fine, but maybe then you don't need to bother posting in threads about either game, hey? Surely you've got better things to do with your time.

GusSmed

Feb 11, 2003
Is there an endgame here? I'm only playing the demo and while it's cool it kind of seems like an MMO grind.
Sort of.

Currently, the game "ends" when you build a power satellite and launch it into orbit. The game doesn't actually end, but it does announce victory. The intent is to eventually have stuff after that, but that's what's implemented at present.

Some players continue beyond that point just to build mega-complexes, or to demonstrate that they can build and launch a satellite every X seconds.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You're missing the point by a country mile. Infinifactory and Factorio are both primarily about creativity. You make stuff in both of them, and by and large solutions tend to be quite individual. Maybe not so much in the tutorial levels of Infinifactory, but once you get to any of the complex problems no two solutions are really the same.

People have done some really oddball things with the sandbox mode of Infinifactory. Notch made a Turing machine, for example. It's bulky and terribly slow, but it functions.

If you don't understand the appeal, fine, but maybe then you don't need to bother posting in threads about either game, hey? Surely you've got better things to do with your time.

...it's called a joke.

you'd think in the game forum, people wouldn't have rods so firmly planted.

:D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Don't be disingenuous.

What Craig was doing was sneering. Sneering in the form of a joke is still sneering.

I see it as an astute observation that should not be assumed as negative criticism. Such activity or preference in entertainment--lab rat in a maze simulation--can pretty much apply to the design of most modern game mechanics (think of anything that is grindy). This game certainly drops that pretense of a fantasy world with a villain that must be conquered (a story) and directly simulates that sort of activity.

And it's perfectly fine to both enjoy that entertainment and also recognize that it is a colossal, mindless waste of time. I do.

I don't see why people have to be so sensitive to such frank observations. I manage to enjoy these stupid diversions while also recognizing them for what they are. Maybe I am a generally practical sort of person? dunno, but that's all it is.

...and not getting into semantics, but there is nothing in my post that is disingenuous. I did not make a direct claim stating knowledge that I know full well to be inaccurate or completely untrue. I interpreted Craig's comment as a friendly, self-critical joke, because that is exactly how I see this. I am commenting from a position from where I can only interpret his statement through my own perspective. If I misinterpreted his meaning, that is all it is. Clearly, I don't positively know what he meant by that statement, so there is no way that I could have been disingenuous with my response... ;)

Last edited:

GusSmed

Feb 11, 2003
And it's perfectly fine to both enjoy that entertainment and also recognize that it is a colossal, mindless waste of time.
"Colossal, mindless waste of time" isn't at all an accurate representation of what games like Infinifactory or Factorio are about.

I interpreted Craig's comment as a friendly, self-critical joke
Which it wasn't. It was an unfriendly sneer criticizing people who enjoy games he doesn't. There wasn't anything "self critical" about it at all.

This was obvious enough that I assumed that playing the "it's just a joke" card was being disingenuous. I'm genuinely surprised that you didn't recognize it for what it was.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Which it wasn't. It was an unfriendly sneer criticizing people who enjoy games he doesn't. There wasn't anything "self critical" about it at all.

This was obvious enough that I assumed that playing the "it's just a joke" card was being disingenuous. I'm genuinely surprised that you didn't recognize it for what it was.

Likewise, my man. And so it goes, around and around. :\ Take care.

Piroko

Jan 10, 2013
I've been looking at this one. I've been on the fence about buying it yet. I have this feeling that I'll like it for around 10 hours and then never play it again.
A "textbook playthrough" takes between 20 and 40 hours, so even a single playthrough should make you feel like you got enough out of 20$.

I did 9 playthroughs so far. The most fun playthrough I had was with a map with its height limited to 50 blocks and no robot use, forcing you to rethink space efficiency and resource transportation. Oddly enough, this setting also encouraged trains because suitable resource depots can be several hundred blocks apart. Just remember to set water to "Only in starting area" or else you might get a bad surprise.

Also, perfectly working multiplayer through Evolve and the likes!