Facebook monitors your chats for criminal activity

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
Facebook and other social platforms are watching users’ chats for criminal activity and notifying police if any suspicious behavior is detected, according to a report.

The screening process begins with scanning software that monitors chats for words or phrases that signal something might be amiss, such as an exchange of personal information or vulgar language.

The software pays more attention to chats between users who don’t already have a well-established connection on the site and whose profile data indicate something may be wrong, such as a wide age gap. The scanning program is also “smart” — it’s taught to keep an eye out for certain phrases found in the previously obtained chat records from criminals including sexual predators.

If the scanning software flags a suspicious chat exchange, it notifies Facebook security employees, who can then determine if police should be notified...
http://mashable.com/2012/07/12/facebook-scanning-chats/

Glad I don't use Facebook, but for those who "have nothing to hide", prepare to bend some more!

2lxt93q.jpg

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I've said it before, facebook is the biggest wet dream of big brother governments everywhere. They don't have to go to the trouble of spying on their citizens, the citizens willingly provide all the data anyone could ever want, neatly organized on a site, along with information about who they communicate with, how frequently etc. You couldn't dream up a better monitoring system (at a lower cost) if you tried.

Not that it matters much to me, I don't use facebook, and even if I did, I'm not a criminal so there would not be any criminal activity to be detected, but it's interesting.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Personally I wouldn't like that at all. I don't think I like the idea of having all my contacts, conversation even where abouts tracked by the world. It's just too lacking in privacy, I am not sure if most people like it or just don't care what face book's lack of privacy would do. I mean it's social media so sharing is the main point but you should dictate what info to share and who to share it with.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
I've said it before, facebook is the biggest wet dream of big brother governments everywhere. They don't have to go to the trouble of spying on their citizens, the citizens willingly provide all the data anyone could ever want, neatly organized on a site, along with information about who they communicate with, how frequently etc. You couldn't dream up a better monitoring system (at a lower cost) if you tried.

i agree. people are not educated on personal liberties anymore though. they think its 'safe' that someone is watching over their internet use.

i use facebook like i do any public watched avenue, i put my orderly clean self on there and in real life im very different. ill tell you what though, more and more i feel like i have to act like someone else rather then myself because this society is becoming so pussified its sickening.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Wait, people are complaining that when they use someone else's site to post their personal activities their posts can be viewed by the owners of the site?

Say it isn't so!!!

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Wait, people are complaining that when they use someone else's site to post their personal activities their posts can be viewed by the owners of the site?

Say it isn't so!!!

no. theyre complaining that the site theyre using has turned themselves into a LEO watch organization. and not the kind that most internet sites are, which only take action once a complaint has been filed. nope, facebook is now ACTIVELY looking for possible criminal activity and reporting it. HUGE difference.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
I'm not surprised at all that this is happening. Facebook is a data miner's wet dream. You shouldn't post anything to facebook that you wouldn't want your mother, your employer, your government, or your wife to find out about. If you want to keep a conversation private, have it in person.

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
Meh.

People dumb enough to post incriminating information onto *any* website deserve what they get.

Facebook just provides an avenue for the morally handicapped to hang themselves.

I'm just in it for the lulz.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
This has been going on for years. Don't believe me? Go to Facebook and have a few chats mentioning the key words, "suicide bomber" and see how quickly you get added to a watch list. Feeling brave? Mention the words "k_ll" and "pr_s_d_nt" in the same phrase a few times and see how quickly the FBI comes knocking.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Just wait until spouses can get chatlogs from Facebook with minimal effort. I can't wait to see the fireworks then!!

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
This has been going on for years. Don't believe me? Go to Facebook and have a few chats mentioning the key words, "suicide bomber" and see how quickly you get added to a watch list. Feeling brave? Mention the words "k_ll" and "pr_s_d_nt" in the same phrase a few times and see how quickly the FBI comes knocking.

aw god that would be a funny reality prank. stage an accident. wreck two cars. then call the cops, and when they say theyre too busy to come out you go right to facebook and start spittin really stupid shit like offin some feds and then you wait. see if the fbi shows up before the city cops do.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Not that it matters much to me, I don't use facebook, and even if I did, I'm not a criminal so there would not be any criminal activity to be detected, but it's interesting.

this

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
whats the point? real criminals would use code anyway

or if some random person started posting words that was listed before and the FBI turns up at your door demanding to know why there's a simple answer - because i can. they may not like it but it's not illegal to have a convo and throw in stupid words.

same if a cop stops you somewhere and asks why you're there - because i can/choose to.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Why would anyone have an expectation of privacy on Facebook chat?

God forbid Facebook do their part to stop sexual predators and terrorists. If jihadists are talking about blowing up my office in a venue where they aren't entitled to privacy, you better believe I want the FBI monitoring them. Stupid enough to talk about your illegal activities on FB? Tough luck, have fun in jail/Gitmo. Hope you feel comforted by the fact that some idiots on the internets are whining about your "privacy".

The same anarchists who are up in arms about this are the ones who believe that "information wants to be free" and have no problem with nuts like Julian Assange outing informants and spies.

Last edited:

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Jesus Christ anyone who doesnt think that anything they type online is caught by the NSA is smoking something.

The NSA, DIA, etc's big issue is things like Xbox chat, Ventrillo, Teamspeak, etc. They want to be able to monitor all of those communications as well.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9859242-16.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...connected-gadgets-transform-surveillance.html

the NSA doesnt report to local police. in fact, they dont even report to the CIA or the FBI like theyre supposed to. 99.9999999% of the information the NSA taps stays in house forever... not even for the government to know. if they catch you doing illegal activity online, it will have to be a treat to national security before they tell anyone else about it. shit, they didnt even tell the CIA about the 911 attacks!

Dude111

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2010
Dont try to tell this to the sheep on FB,they are under control and dont care........... (Thier mentallity is quite disturbing to say the least!)