Facebook is changing is name. What should it be called now?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Come to think of it, I wonder how you even trademark a name like Meta. Is it just the thing of being super powerful and having tons of money so you can do what you want?

I don't imagine that name would show up as unused if an average Joe was doing a name search.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I don't know if I can cope with the name change in addition to Ubisoft Connect game launcher changing their color scheme to orange. Maybe Meta will have a search engine to find a site that knows how to change it back to blue. Perhaps that will spark the way to their search engine, if they develop it, to compete with Google? Excuse me Alphabet.

Edit: Sorry if it got mentioned earlier but someone, recently coined MAMAA as the replacement for FANG and FAANG. It's Meta, Alphabet, Microsoft, Amazon and Apple, I think. And for those who prefer Netflix over Microsoft then it's NAMAA.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: FelixDeCat

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I don't know if I can cope with the name change in addition to Ubisoft Connect game launcher changing their color scheme to orange. Maybe Meta will have a search engine to find a site that knows how to change it back to blue. Perhaps that will spark the way to their search engine, if they develop it, to compete with Google? Excuse me Alphabet.

Edit: Sorry if it got mentioned earlier but someone, recently coined MAMAA as the replacement for FANG and FAANG. It's Meta, Alphabet, Microsoft, Amazon and Apple, I think. And for those who prefer Netflix over Microsoft then it's NAMAA.
I saw someone else call it MANGA.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Meta is short for metagame as far as I'm concerned. I once had a trading card obsession.

There was once a metagame.com, covering Yu-gi-oh tournaments. .

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Their logo looks too much like the Movies Anywhere logo.

MA.jpg

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
The only way Meta will work as the next stage of the Internet is if they can create lightweight AR glasses with retina resolution, i.e. the battery lasts all day, they don't look weird, 11k rez minimum, etc., and the hardware technology just isn't there yet. The new base 128gb Oculus Quest 2 is only $299, so pretty much everyone who wanted one got one, but the average consumer isn't going to hop into Facebook with one, and one of the biggest complaints is that now you need a FB account to login, and if your FB account gets banned for whatever reason, you lose access to your headset & all of the stuff you've purchased, so applying that concept across the multiple domains of AR, VR, mobile, computers, etc. is going to be kind of a mess I think. I mean maybe, who knows.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
The only way Meta will work as the next stage of the Internet is if they can create lightweight AR glasses with retina resolution, i.e. the battery lasts all day, they don't look weird, 11k rez minimum, etc., and the hardware technology just isn't there yet. The new base 128gb Oculus Quest 2 is only $299, so pretty much everyone who wanted one got one, but the average consumer isn't going to hop into Facebook with one, and one of the biggest complaints is that now you need a FB account to login, and if your FB account gets banned for whatever reason, you lose access to your headset & all of the stuff you've purchased, so applying that concept across the multiple domains of AR, VR, mobile, computers, etc. is going to be kind of a mess I think. I mean maybe, who knows.

cool

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaido

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I do kinda like how in Hebrew Meta means Dead, kinda fits with this cunning plan from Baldricks heir Zuckerberg. Onto a better name...

Bob

The correct way to pronounce it as shown by Rowan Atkinson.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaido

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I am assuming they ripped off Möbius Strip.

It's like Dogbert's brown ring of excellence.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019
Can we call it broke?

Meta cuts hiring plans as it prepares for 'serious times'

www.engadget.com.ico
Engadget|57 minutes ago
In a weekly employee Q&A session, Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg reportedly said the company is experiencing "one of the worst downturns [it has seen] in recent history." According to Reuters, the executive has revealed that Meta has slashed its target number for new engineers hires this year by about 30 percent.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Can we call it broke?

Meta cuts hiring plans as it prepares for 'serious times'

www.engadget.com.ico
Engadget|57 minutes ago
In a weekly employee Q&A session, Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg reportedly said the company is experiencing "one of the worst downturns [it has seen] in recent history." According to Reuters, the executive has revealed that Meta has slashed its target number for new engineers hires this year by about 30 percent.

Cutting hiring expansion plans is a way to avoid going broke. In fact, after a 8 year hiatus, I created a new Meta account. My original account was closed because they wanted my drivers license and I did not want to give it to them. It took 8 years to get over that. :(

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Cutting hiring expansion plans is a way to avoid going broke. In fact, after a 8 year hiatus, I created a new Meta account. My original account was closed because they wanted my drivers license and I did not want to give it to them. It took 8 years to get over that. :(
Err whut? Why would they ask for driver's licence?

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Can we call it broke? ...
Only if we can call you exaggeratory, imbecilic, and premature.

They cut hiring goals, for engineers, by 30% for the fiscal year. That's nowhere in the same realm as "they are going broke", ffs. :rolleyes: