Facebook bans a slew of high profile extremists

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Given that 50% of black voters have a favorable impression of Farrakhan, this could have a negative impact on any Democratic presidential candidate. Ban Snoop and that effect could be even greater. Trump could easily use this to court black voters by condemning Farrakhan's banning.

https://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/National_News_2/article_104097.shtml
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...ike_louis_farrakhan_everyone_else_not_so_much

Except that they're not stupid, and they know that the real reason that Farrakhan was banned was because Trump voters demanded it. Your ilk has spent the last year saying "but Farrakhan" every time the subject of banning white supremacists from social media has come up, and now you want to concern troll this shit?

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
"I love seeing the TDS-suffering Republicans throw a hissy fit over this absolute nothingburger. Their conserva-tears taste so delicious. Learn to free market capitalism, noobs. Why don't you git gud at Constitutioning before you bring that weak ass whining in here? If you hate America so much, why don't you just get out and go home to whatever lily-white country your great grandparents immigrated here from illegally?"

Did I do that right?

Reactions: dank69 and Meghan54

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
If FB could go ahead and ban everyone from using FB and IG... You know for the sake of fairness, I wouldn't complain...

Reactions: Lanyap

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Given that 50% of black voters have a favorable impression of Farrakhan, this could have a negative impact on any Democratic presidential candidate. Ban Snoop and that effect could be even greater. Trump could easily use this to court black voters by condemning Farrakhan's banning.

https://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/National_News_2/article_104097.shtml
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...ike_louis_farrakhan_everyone_else_not_so_much

I'm not interested in special treatment cuz possible political fallout

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
As someone said on the HBO Bill Maher show, "I don't know if I want some 21 year old tech nerd working for Facebook deciding what is and what is not acceptable free speech."
And to me this is a major power grab by this social media jerk off club.
Always remember how and why FB got started, for college nerds to judge women one against another using data illegally hacked from college databases.
And we wonder if Russia could actually influence our elections?
Head up the ass..... Head ups the ass..... America.

As I always say, if it sounds bad it is no doubt much much worse than can be imagined.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Except that they're not stupid, and they know that the real reason that Farrakhan was banned was because Trump voters demanded it. Your ilk has spent the last year saying "but Farrakhan" every time the subject of banning white supremacists from social media has come up, and now you want to concern troll this shit?
Farrakhan was banned because he is no better than the alt-right.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I see Trump is showing his "keen" understanding of the 1st amendment again by gaslighting on Twitter again. Diarrheal gaslighting Twitter explosion seems as good a description as any. Demented Donnie has chronic Twitterrhea.

At least he's showing how he is the crown prince of the alt-right movement - their fearless leader. Donnie loves his hate-mongers and disimformation conspiracy brigades

Reactions: sandorski

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Yeah but according to you, no one is better than the right, so...
According to the southern poverty law center, the Nation of Islam is flagged as a hate group. Keep carrying that water. I support Facebook in all the people they banned.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
According to the southern poverty law center, the Nation of Islam is flagged as a hate group. Keep carrying that water. I support Facebook in all the people they banned.

No one should insert anything into this except hate. I agree with your statement. Left or right is bullshit if that's the criteria. It's hate and if it's right or left or one side has more than another? That's irrelevant. What it comes down to is one word, hate.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
If FB could go ahead and ban everyone from using FB and IG... You know for the sake of fairness, I wouldn't complain...

I was wondering whether it was possible to use wild-card characters in one's ignore list on here. I could then put everyone on ignore and have a nice quiet forum all to myself.

Mar 11, 2004
You know what is really terrible? Those poor parents who lost their kids in the Sandy Hook massacre and on top of that had to move 7 times because of trolling by Alex Jones causing death threats

Don't care about them do you?

You Trump supporters and the idiot himself caused this giving the likes of Alex Jones credibility

I have a strong hunch that at least one of the regular right wingers on here partook in death threat calls. Probably one of the dipshits that defended that same behavior when they were doing it because women dared do anything but model shaking their tits for video games.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
No one should insert anything into this except hate. I agree with your statement. Left or right is bullshit if that's the criteria. It's hate and if it's right or left or one side has more than another? That's irrelevant. What it comes down to is one word, hate.

Is hate illegal? Are you allowed to hate some things and not others? What’s the criteria used to go after hate?

I don’t like the idea of regulating ideas no matter how abhorrent they are. People spew hate against Republicans on here all the time, should that be tolerated/regulated/illegal? It just seems like such a slippery slope. Facebook and others seem to be dancing around whether they are a platform or a publisher and yeah it raises all sorts of questions about that.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Is hate illegal? Are you allowed to hate some things and not others? What’s the criteria used to go after hate?

I don’t like the idea of regulating ideas no matter how abhorrent they are. People spew hate against Republicans on here all the time, should that be tolerated/regulated/illegal? It just seems like such a slippery slope. Facebook and others seem to be dancing around whether they are a platform or a publisher and yeah it raises all sorts of questions about that.

Then give up Facebook. Look at that, problem solved.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Oh, please. Ideas aren't the issue. Speech is the issue, as is action inspired by speech. And if the rules here are different than those of Facebook, that's to be expected as the result of private ownership. As far as big bad libs censoring content, I doubt my POV would be allowed at all on many right leaning forums regardless of whether I was civil or not.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Start your own social platform but no one is entitled to free speech in someone's business. You may not like FB's decision but it is their right.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Look at you with your straw man again! Are you just incapable of arguing on the merits or do you think you are fooling people with your routine?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Why are you working so hard against Facebook’s first amendment right of freedom of association?

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The only good safe space is a conservative safe space.

And that safe space is getting a whole lot smaller and looking more and more like a social club for crack addicts and coke chronics every time Trump says some gob smacking idiotic thing that compels McConnell to grind his molars into dust and use his forehead as a battering ram on his desk. Small wonder McConnell's got that glassy eyed deer in the headlights look ever since Trump parked his ass on the old fart's face.

Yep, the Repub Party never looked so good what with Trump over there telling everybody how racists are nice people and Putin is more believable than our own vaunted intel agencies.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Given that 50% of black voters have a favorable impression of Farrakhan, this could have a negative impact on any Democratic presidential candidate.

Huh? wtf would that have anything to do with any democratic candidates? This makes no sense.

It presupposes an unfounded assumption that "Twitter and the Interent = duh libruls, therefore libruls banned me!"

This is something that idiots argue.

Yeah, I'm sure those blacks that you are arguing can't think for themselves, are going to blame Joe Biden or Liz Warden for Farrakhan being banned by Facebook.

wtf, man?

and lol @ rasmussen (naturally) and "final call" ....whatever dystopian fascist nonsense it is that you are reading....